Hatch Coat of Arms

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

01 August 2013 17:40

Greetings All,

Some good friends were staying with us for a few days over the last week. In between trips for Chicago Style Hot Dogs and Pizza, I convinced one of them that assuming a coat of arms would not be a bad idea. We tossed some things around and eventually came up with the attached image. I blazoned it as something along the lines of Or within a bordure Gules a demi-lion sable tufted Or issuant from a tun Gules and threw together a hurried clipart version. I thought I’d post it here and see what others thought. The barrel is a reference to my friends interest in home/craft brewing. The other big allusion is the fact that the lion is "hatching" out of the barrel. His last name is hatch. If anyone has any suggestions on making it better, let me know. He’s planning on leaving it on his refrigerator for a while and then revisiting it, so all ideas are welcome.

Peace,

Dave

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

01 August 2013 18:00

Cute design, no technical heraldic concerns (other than the bordure suggesting cadency—which may or may not be significant depending on his family tie—& unlikely to infringe on existing arms.  Also not bad clip art.

In any case, the most important part of your message is the refrigerator test.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

02 August 2013 16:07

Remind your friend he can put the arms on the labels of his bottled homebrewed beer.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

02 August 2013 16:35

I’m not concerned about the bordure appearing to be a cadence mark, however, with such a fun and unique charge, why not drop it so the hatching lion is more prominent?

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

02 August 2013 20:24

It’s a nice design. Don’t know if unique but, very nice.

As for the bordure, it all depends on the ancestry of the person in question. If not a Scot, it’s no issue.

Then again, even if he is a Scot we’re in the USA smile

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

04 August 2013 10:16

I wonder if anyone would associate the lion with "hatching"...  generally associated with eggs and such…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

04 August 2013 12:16

Kathy, good point.  Dave, why a lion?

(As Chico wanted to know in The Cocoanuts, "Why a no chicken?")

David Boven

David Boven
Joined  29-04-2004

04 August 2013 15:07

An excellent question! The lion is actually a reference to another of my friend’s hobbies. He enjoys video games and, in particular, plays a game called Pokemon. I’m sure that some are more familiar with the game than I, but it is essentially a series of games in which players try to capture monsters. My friend has "caught them all" the games, and his first thought when I told him about designing a coat of arms was to put a Pokemon on the shield. I proceeded to convince him that it would probably be best to include a traditional heraldic beast on the shield and blazon it in such a way that artistic license could be used to render it more Pokemon-ish. The basis for this lion is something called Luxray. The lion was also a reference to the shield that he designed in a sixth grade history class assignment. He included lions in that design and thought it would be nice to pay homage by including one again. But…mostly it’s just a Pokemon!

Peace,

Dave

David Boven

David Boven
Joined  29-04-2004

04 August 2013 15:54

kimon;100071 wrote:

It’s a nice design. Don’t know if unique but, very nice. As for the bordure, it all depends on the ancestry of the person in question. If not a Scot, it’s no issue. Then again, even if he is a Scot we’re in the USA smile

My friend has no Scottish blood that he knows of. The rationale for the bordure was just that he thought it looked nice. I think that he saw the bordure on my own coat of arms (which does indicate cadency, though I am of Dutch stock) and wanted to include it. As for the uniqueness of the arms, I haven’t been able to find much else similar to it. Papworth’s had someone called Hopton (or something similar) that showed a lion hopping over a barrel. I also tried Googling the blazon, but I can’t find anything that’s too similar.

Peace,

Dave