OK, refrigerator test…

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

14 August 2013 00:32

Michael F. McCartney;100161 wrote:

While I also personally see this as a winner, don’t jump the gun—just call it a "contender" or "front-runner" at this point, and let the refrigerator test (c) run it’s course—just as I would hope you would advise your (actual/future/hypothetical) daughter to remember that she’s looking for "Mr. Right" not just "Mr Right Now."

That’s deep dude. That hit me right in the hart… wink Thanks!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

14 August 2013 07:05

Robert Blackard;100188 wrote:

That’s deep dude. That hit me right in the hart… wink Thanks!

OMG, sooo bad, but soo funny! :rofl:

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 August 2013 10:51

smile  I do so deerly love your humor—wthout it our discourse can be so stagnant.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

14 August 2013 11:16

Joseph McMillan;100025 wrote:

But if the stag is shifted to courant, I’d suggest an emblazonment in the traditional heraldic style, with the front legs stretched forward, not tucked up like the Chevrolet Impala logo.

I just drew a stag courant for my Mansfield armorial project, so here is a version with the more traditional style stag. That’s a mighty fine coat of arms.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/852/ah0.png
</div>

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

14 August 2013 11:31

Are the stag and the chevrons both meant to be Sable?  The stag looks almost grey.  I must have missed the post about the chevrons going from Azure to Sable.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

14 August 2013 11:45

Kenneth Mansfield;100203 wrote:

I just drew a stag courant for my Mansfield armorial project, so here is a version with the more traditional style stag. That’s a mighty fine coat of arms.

So much better than the clip art stag.  Nicely done.

steven harris;100204 wrote:

Are the stag and the chevrons both meant to be Sable?  The stag looks almost grey.  I must have missed the post about the chevrons going from Azure to Sable.

The stag is meant to be Sable.  I would simply call this rendition "artistic license" as I am sure Ken was trying to ensure that the details could be seen on the stag.  At one point the discussion centered around simply using Argent and Sable and doing away with Azure.  This design was created following along those discussion lines.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

14 August 2013 11:47

steven harris;100204 wrote:

They are both meant to be sable, yes. There are two primary ways to illustrate animals that are sable. One is to make the animal gray and use regular black outlines. The other is to make the animal black and to use lighter shades for the outlines or to use highlights to indicate demarcations of body parts, fur, etc. See many examples here.

I could have illustrated it like this…

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3513/yqzo.png
</div>

...but I think the stag looks like a photo negative and I prefer the other way in this case. Perhaps if I were a painter, I’d do it differently. But I’m not. smile

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

14 August 2013 14:10

Kenneth Mansfield;100206 wrote:

They are both meant to be sable, yes. There are two primary ways to illustrate animals that are sable. One is to make the animal gray and use regular black outlines. The other is to make the animal black and to use lighter shades for the outlines or to use highlights to indicate demarcations of body parts, fur, etc. See many examples here.

I could have illustrated it like this…

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3513/yqzo.png
</div>

...but I think the stag looks like a photo negative and I prefer the other way in this case. Perhaps if I were a painter, I’d do it differently. But I’m not. smile

I think you’re almost there. I favor the black one, because I think the same shade ought to be used between the chevrons and the stag… however, if you matched them as a gray instead of one light gray and the other dark gray (or close to black) you’d nail it!

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

14 August 2013 14:38

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/608/qr30.png
</div>

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

14 August 2013 18:09

Kenneth Mansfield;100209 wrote:

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/608/qr30.png

</div>

Perfect! :D

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

14 August 2013 20:20

During my "busy" day of paperwork and all that fun stuff at work, I was thinking to myself, "what would the elk look like if it it had it’s antlers pulled back a little more…mind blown you guys. wink In addition, I like the black better.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Joined  10-03-2009

14 August 2013 21:01

Robert Blackard;100215 wrote:

During my "busy" day of paperwork and all that fun stuff at work, I was thinking to myself, "what would the elk look like if it it had it’s antlers pulled back a little more…mind blown you guys. wink In addition, I like the black better.

If these end up being your arms, we can be on the same tincture team. :cheers:

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 August 2013 22:07

FWIW—since they’re not my arms smile—I like the black with white outlines better; but since they are heraldically the same design, this is merely artistic license.

Again FWIW, one practical advantage to the solid black charge with white outlines artwork is that if you want to make a rubber stamp, or address labels, or a bookplate, etc., it will work much better than the grey with black outlines, producing in effect a full color image—an extra blessing for those whose arms are Argent & Sable.  (or any two-color arms for that matter, if you can use colored ink and either white or yellow paper)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

15 August 2013 09:53

Michael F. McCartney;100217 wrote:

Again FWIW, one practical advantage to the solid black charge with white outlines artwork is that if you want to make a rubber stamp, or address labels, or a bookplate, etc., it will work much better than the grey with black outlines, producing in effect a full color image—an extra blessing for those whose arms are Argent & Sable.  (or any two-color arms for that matter, if you can use colored ink and either white or yellow paper)

I would hope for a purely black and white illustration, one would use artwork designed for that purpose. I wouldn’t use any of my three recent illustrations in this thread for that purpose as none of them were drawn with such a strict application in mind. In that case one ought to use highlights for delineation. A perfect example is the black and white artwork necessary for an etching. What you see as white in the glass below is actually black in the original illustration. There is much more going on there than mere outlines and that’s what it takes to make a truly nice purely black and white illustration.

http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/images-custom_engraved/Glencairn_Glass_Crest_1.jpg

hollywood1765

hollywood1765
Total Posts:  163
Joined  29-06-2012

15 August 2013 11:51

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;100214 wrote:

Perfect! :D

I like this one also