NEHGS CoH

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 July 2013 11:11

Since they make a distinction (perfectly valid given their context) between historical arms & new assumptions, I wonder if their on-line version will include both categories.  Their published material so far (in the NEHGS journal over the years) has IIRC only included the "historical" category.

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

23 July 2013 13:49

Jeremy Keith Hammond;99635 wrote:

I have another email to Mr. Beckwith inquiring. I’ve also asked if it’s possible to arrange a visit to view the Gore Roll of Arms.

Arranging with the NEHGS to view the Gore roll is a very simple thing to do.  (I’d also recommend seeing the Child copy of the Gore roll while you are there.)  Simply write to the NEHGS directly and arrange a date and time.

That’s what I did when I was in Massachusetts on a week-long genealogical and heraldic tour.  Photographs including the Gore roll taken at that time can be found at

http://blog.appletonstudios.com/2013/05/the-gore-roll-of-arms-again.html

and

http://blog.appletonstudios.com/2012/03/lets-talk-heraldry-books.html

David

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

23 July 2013 18:20

davidappleton;99925 wrote:

Arranging with the NEHGS to view the Gore roll is a very simple thing to do.

Since ordering one of the hardbound copies of your book is far less expensive and more enlightening than me buying a plane ticket and trying to understand what I’m looking at when I get there, I have just now placed an order for your book instead David. smile

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

24 July 2013 15:45

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison;99928 wrote:

Since ordering one of the hardbound copies of your book is far less expensive and more enlightening than me buying a plane ticket and trying to understand what I’m looking at when I get there, I have just now placed an order for your book instead David. smile

Thanks, Jeff!  It’s in the mail and on its way to you now.

David

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

16 September 2013 22:35

Not quite sure where to post this.. A Roll of Arms by The Committee on Heraldry of the NEw England Historic Genealogical Society is out…

I got my copy today

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

17 September 2013 10:11

Buying. Right now!

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

17 September 2013 15:53
Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

18 September 2013 10:59

steven harris;100628 wrote:

Is this the one?

http://www.americanancestors.org/Product.aspx?id=27963

I believe so.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

18 September 2013 22:13

Looks interesting.  Am I right in concluding that this includes (repeats) all the earlier portions of the roll published in their Journl?  Or is this a supplement of arms registered subsequent to the last set published n their journal?

I also assume that thise doesn;t include "modern" registrations of arms assumed here?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

20 September 2013 23:09

My copy arrived today. That was quick! Yes, it includes all the volumes together. You’re also correct in that it doesn’t include the modern registrations.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 September 2013 01:04

Jeremy Keith Hammond;100686 wrote:

My copy arrived today. That was quick!

Yeah, but I mean Boston to Maine… it’s like practically walking distance.  wink

QuiQuog

QuiQuog
Total Posts:  97
Joined  10-10-2013

08 August 2014 15:13

So for those of you who got the book "A Roll of Arms Registered by the Committee on Heraldry of the New England Historic Genealogical Society", can you say anything about it? Is it illustrations, text, stories, what? Can you give a 30 second review? The latest was issued in September, I wonder when the next one will be out? Any ideas on how many may have been added?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

08 August 2014 15:28

QuiQuog;102379 wrote:

So for those of you who got the book "A Roll of Arms Registered by the Committee on Heraldry of the New England Historic Genealogical Society", can you say anything about it? Is it illustrations, text, stories, what? Can you give a 30 second review? The latest was issued in September, I wonder when the next one will be out? Any ideas on how many may have been added?

I had an email conversation with the editor, Henry Beckwith. In one of his messages he shared the following relevant information.

Quote:

The Committee goes along recording arms, as ever, but, the Internet has changed our world. In the past we’d collect 72 registrations, publish them in the Register, then publish an off-print. Then wait some years till we had another 72.  We are having the Roll of Arms put online, and in future there will be no lengthy waits between parts. We will be able to add new registrations and corrections annually. An amazing change for the better.

But, more immediately, I am preparing a volume that will have parts 1-9,  and the completed part 10, in it. There is to be a history of the Committee, and many new corrections, and some other matters. But, this is not likely to appear till around the end of the year in my opinion

This was obviously prior to publication. Several years would pass between each publication. This most recent is a compilation of all those so far.

It’s not highly illustrated. 9 of 10 of the rolls have black and white drawings of each shield. There are a few color plates in the beginning of heraldry of the committee itself.