"New" arms of the Pontifical College Josephinum

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

07 November 2013 21:10

Below are the "new" arms of the Pontifical College Josephinum. I say "new" because I’m not sure it’s intended to be a coat of arms in the true sense and not just a logo… which is how it was described to me. Also, they already had arms even though those hadn’t been used in some time. The last few years they had been using the tiara and crossed keys alone… as if they were a part of the Holy See… so this is an improvement in that sense.

Their "old" arms were (don’t have an image yet) ARMS: quarterly Argent and Or, on an escutcheon the arms of the Holy See. CREST: A sailing ship of three masts at full sail with pennons Or. I don’t know who designed these arm though Dcn. Sullivan emblazoned them back in the mid-80s. Maybe he designed them.

The "new" arms are the arms look to be those of the Diocese of Columbus (don’t have my reference books with me at the moment) differenced with a fleur-de-lis in chief dexter. I don’t know who designed these or who did the art. Unlike the "old" arms which had secular external ornaments, these make use of the same ecclesiastical external ornaments as used other pontifical colleges.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Resine/Heraldry/pcjnewarms_zpsc2e43429-1.png

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

08 November 2013 01:06

Apologies for perhaps dumb questions from a lapsed Presbyterian—but what is a Pontifical college, & especially this one?  Is it appropriate for such a body to use the tiara & crossed keys?  & if the arms are similar, does this one have any connection with Columbus diocese?

Aside from these questions bearing on the appropriateness of this achievement, both the arms themselves, and the combination with the external additaments, are IMHO quite attractive—far above the "we’ve seen worse" bar smile

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

08 November 2013 09:38

Pontifical colleges/universities are educational institutions that focus on disciplines related to Christian doctrine and which are established or approved by the Holy See. In the case of the Pontifical College Josephinum, it’s under the Holy See’s Congregation for Education. It is, in fact, located in Columbus, Ohio, which would explain the Columbus arms.

As for the keys and tiara, this is pretty standard, at least, among the pontifical universities/colleges in Rome (e.g. the Pontifical North American College, the Pontifical Gregorian University, the Pontifical Lateran University, the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross, and the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas). It appears to be less common outside of Rome, but I found these two examples: the International Theological Institute in Austria, and the Pontifical University of Salamanca in Spain. More may, in fact, use the crossed keys and tiara in their seals, but not in their logos displayed on their websites.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

08 November 2013 12:59

This is not a bad looking emblazonment, imo.  My uncle, now retired from the Diocese of Superior, WI, studied for the priesthood at this seminary back in the late 40’s or early 50’s.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

08 November 2013 14:38

I grew up in Columbus and am very familiar with the Josephinum; I attended several retreats there throughout my years in the Catholic schools.

I do not think that use of Columbus’ diocesan arms as a basis is appropriate here.  The Diocese of Columbus has nothing to do with the Josephinum, since Pontifical Colleges report directly to Rome.

A. Schrɛnk

A. Schrɛnk
Total Posts:  154
Joined  27-07-2011

09 November 2013 04:01

Dcgb7f;100975 wrote:

Below are the "new" arms of the Pontifical College Josephinum. I say "new" because I’m not sure it’s intended to be a coat of arms in the true sense and not just a logo… which is how it was described to me. Also, they already had arms even though those hadn’t been used in some time. The last few years they had been using the tiara and crossed keys alone… as if they were a part of the Holy See… so this is an improvement in that sense.

Their "old" arms were (don’t have an image yet) ARMS: quarterly Argent and Or, on an escutcheon the arms of the Holy See. CREST: A sailing ship of three masts at full sail with pennons Or. I don’t know who designed these arm though Dcn. Sullivan emblazoned them back in the mid-80s. Maybe he designed them.

The "new" arms are the arms look to be those of the Diocese of Columbus (don’t have my reference books with me at the moment) differenced with a fleur-de-lis in chief dexter. I don’t know who designed these or who did the art. Unlike the "old" arms which had secular external ornaments, these make use of the same ecclesiastical external ornaments as used other pontifical colleges.

This is an interesting development. I think it’s definitely an improvement that they’re switching to the standard ornaments for a pontifical college, but I agree with the opinions here that the close association with Columbus is not well-advised. It would be a bit bizarre, also, if the "old" arms and these "new" ones were somehow being used simultaneously.

As for the old arms, I actually saw them in pretty frequent use around the college and among its seminarians. (I visited the Josephinum three or four times in the past two years, while I was in minor seminary in Pittsburgh, and now that I am at the NAC, the Josephinum guys here all seem to have sweaters and folders with the "old" arms on them.)

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

09 November 2013 22:17

I don’t know what the plans are for the "old" arms. A lot of the promo stuff (sweaters, cuff links, etc.) have them. I don’t know if they will be phased out. More difficult to get ride of is the nice marble inset of the "old" arm in the foyer of the old library.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

14 November 2013 15:51

FWIW (maybe not much!)—but since both the college & the diocese, though not directly connected, are dependent on the Holy See, the use of slightly differenced arms for these two entities located in Columbus doesn’t seem all that inappropriate.  After all, several dioceses use arms derived from the arms of the state or city i which they are located—e.g. IIRC New York City & Baltimore/Maryland.

Not that dissimilar arms would be inappropriate—maybe would be preferable - but that doesn’t make similar arms inappropriate.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

15 November 2013 14:42

Here are the old arms as illustrated by Dcn. Paul Sullivan in 1986. Looks like I missed a few details in my blazon in the first post.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Resine/Heraldry/pcjoldarms_zps1771b5fd.png

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

20 November 2013 22:39

Nice enough arms, and likely more meaningful to the alumni; but FWIW, IMO the new design is more visually interesting & powerful.

Frank Martinoff

Frank Martinoff
Total Posts:  249
Joined  04-10-2008

21 November 2013 06:35

It reminds me a little of the CoA of

"Johannes Nauclerus" aka "Johann Vergenhans"

http://85.214.48.237/kunst/pic570/379/411100966.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Nauclerus

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

25 November 2013 09:44

After asking around a bit, I found out that the arms were designed and executed by Matthew Alderman. We’ve discussed his work before on this forum, but I can’t recall the topics off hand, otherwise I would link you to them.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

26 November 2013 20:00

I heard from Matthew Alderman today that he was really happy to do this coat of arms and that it is getting some attention. He confirmed for me that the design is based on the old arms; the ship being from the crest of the old arms and not at all based in any way on the arms of the local diocese (which depicts a ship but from the side not head on and with a letter "M" on the sail not a cross). Any resemblance to the arms of the diocese of Columbus is coincidental.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

29 November 2013 02:07

Fr Guy—interesting background info from the artist.  Hiopefully the publicity will generate additional clerical commissions, both for his benefit & that of church heraldry generally.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

08 December 2013 17:49

Dcgb7f;100981 wrote:

Pontifical colleges/universities are educational institutions that focus on disciplines related to Christian doctrine and which are established or approved by the Holy See. In the case of the Pontifical College Josephinum, it’s under the Holy See’s Congregation for Education. It is, in fact, located in Columbus, Ohio, which would explain the Columbus arms.

As for the keys and tiara, this is pretty standard, at least, among the pontifical universities/colleges in Rome (e.g. the Pontifical North American College, the Pontifical Gregorian University, the Pontifical Lateran University, the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross, and the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas). It appears to be less common outside of Rome, but I found these two examples: the International Theological Institute in Austria, and the Pontifical University of Salamanca in Spain. More may, in fact, use the crossed keys and tiara in their seals, but not in their logos displayed on their websites.

The usage is also fairly common in Brazil, amongst others The Pontificial Catholic University of Campinas, The Pontificial Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul and the Pontificial Catholic University of Rio de Janerio.