Bishop Cozzens

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

29 December 2013 09:08

Here is the full achievement of arms of the bishop with the coat of arms nicely carved into his crozier, Bishop Andrew Cozzens.

http://thecatholicspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/CozzensCoatOfArms.jpg

The shield is divided by a saltire which is traditionally the X-shaped “St. Andrew Cross”. The three hearts (there is a connection between them and the motto which means "Give us Your Heart") represent the Sacred Heart of Jesus (center) the Immaculate Heart of Mary (to dexter) and the Heart of St. Joseph (to sinister). I have never heard of the latter being depicted either in heraldry or in any Catholic religious symbolism and art. Perhaps it was made up by the armiger to balance the other two? Either way, three hearts is a bit much and, if they were to be used, it would have been better NOT to depict them in the traditional form with flames, roses, thorns, etc. and simply to depict three heart-shaped charges to stand for these three hearts.

The waves in base are from the arms of the See, which the bishop now serves and had served as a priest as well. However, the mountains in chief, to allude to his native Colorado, should be stylized and not depicted in a portrait landscape style. The use of three different kinds of blue in chief is also iffy.

The cord around the perimeter of the shield represents the bond of fraternity that the bishop has with a group of priests who form a priestly fraternity of which he is a member. That’s a perfectly good symbol for such a bond but I think it should have been depicted within the edge of the shield as a bordure. Depicting it as the actual edge of the shield is heraldically questionable.

In the description of the achievement the episcopal cross is described as being Celtic. There are two problems there. The first is my often mentioned admonition that individual armigers are not free to determine the shape, style and manner of the depiction of the external ornaments. That creative freedom applies only to that which is on the shield. The second problem in this case is that the cross depicted is not even Celtic!

So, there are nice ideas here and the charges were chosen to represent wonderful priestly and personal virtues but the overall effect is disappointing at best.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 December 2013 12:39

My initial impression was that these arms as carved into the crazier we’re nicer as carved wood than if they were gilded.  Either way would IMO be better than painted in full color since the design is rather busy.  I agree with Fr Guy’s comments, both pro and con, with one minor exception.  I saw/see the corded border as a bordure wreathed (sp) but with far too many twists.  Of course a fatter bordure with fewer twists would lose the intended symbolism.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 December 2013 12:54

I split the difference between Fr Guy and Mike on the edging of the shield.  I see it as merely decorative.  If the bishop wants to interpret it a particular way, that’s his right, but if it’s not on the shield, it’s not part of the arms.

I also differ somewhat with Fr. Guy on the mountains.  I see no reason why mountains have to be stylized any more than any other charge, but showing them in three shades of blue is definitely anti-heraldic.  Had they been white on an azure field or vice versa, I’d see no problem.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

29 December 2013 13:20

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p75x225/1536583_10201721862461075_282091073_n.jpg

Using all the same elements but arranging them differently would have made for a much nicer design.

As for the mountains I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree. All of heraldry is stylized. Drawing mountains in a landscape to me is just stupid.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

29 December 2013 18:48

gselvester;101190 wrote:

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p75x225/1536583_10201721862461075_282091073_n.jpg

Using all the same elements but arranging them differently would have made for a much nicer design.

I really like your design, Fr. Guy.

—(the other) Guy

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 December 2013 23:13

Ditto other Guy- simple, clean, easy to see clearly in small scale or at a distance.  Should also impaled nicely with most diocesan etc. arms if/when he moves to other clerical charges, even if the diocesan arms are less than ideal.

Ah well…

Just for our edification and delight, what colors do you have in mind?  I’m thinking Argent field and red hearts, open on the mounts and saltire, but other possibilities could look quite nice.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

30 December 2013 15:01

I agree that Fr. Guy’s swing at the arms is a much improved result.  I may have left all 3 hearts as pale-wise, by that’s just me.

gselvester;101187 wrote:

The cord around the perimeter of the shield represents the bond of fraternity that the bishop has with a group of priests who form a priestly fraternity of which he is a member.

To which priestly fraternity does Bishop Cozzens belong?