Bishop Michael Sis of Austin, TX

Alexander Schrenk

Alexander Schrenk
Total Posts:  154
Joined  27-07-2011

27 January 2014 16:41

http://i.imgur.com/3JVZrnl.jpg

My first thought was, "Nice and simple." My second thought was, "Could have used a less… comic style." My third thought was, "Tincture violation."

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 January 2014 19:15

Alexander Schrenk;101342 wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/3JVZrnl.jpg

My first thought was, "Nice and simple." My second thought was, "Could have used a less… comic style." My third thought was, "Tincture violation."

I see a faint bluish tinge on the fish, which suffices to make them azure.  Or at least proper.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 January 2014 23:24

Ditto your first thought - i love it! Also very simple designs like this will impale nicely with most diocesan arms.  Hopefully the good bishop will keep these arms if & when he is moved to other clerical assignments.

RE: 2nd thought,  I really like the comic style - de gustius & all that; &  in any case. different artists can fancy it up if/as needed to fit in more formal contexts.

Ditto Joe re: proper fish.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

27 January 2014 23:46

He already is a diocesan bishop and has chosen not to impale his personal arms with those of the See. Who knows why? Personal preference, I suppose.

The design is great. The depiction isn’t.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

28 January 2014 16:12

Different strokes etc.; if everyone always agreed on all points, we’d soon get bored agreeing with each other!

I can appreciate those who prefer a more serious style, and these arms would I’m sure look very nice in a more formal rendition.  Maybe SKS will bless us with one, both for comparison purposes & the sheer joy of great art.

Still, I appreciate a less formal rendition, just for the variety and whimsey, when it "works" visually - some designs do, others don’t - & these arms do work whimsically for me.