Heraldry at Folger Shakespeare Library

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

28 January 2014 15:55

I just got a note from a contact at TIOH forwarding this exciting announcement from Washington, DC’s, Folger Shakespeare Library.

http://americanheraldry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1306&stc=1&d=1390942394

According to the Folger release, "This show—the largest and most

comprehensive of its kind ever mounted—will feature pedigrees and family

trees, books explaining heraldry’s complex rules, manuscripts illustrating

actual coats of arms, and documents written by professional heralds seeking

to regulate heraldic practice in a fast-changing society. Exceptional

treasures include the original drafts of William Shakespeare’s own coat of

arms."

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

28 January 2014 16:30

Amazing! I SO hope I can make it. DC is a bit of a haul, and I hope to be starting a new job soon ... we’ll see how things work out.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

28 January 2014 16:59

That IS exciting news. Now if only it weren’t 2,688 miles away….

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

29 January 2014 02:15

Dear Joe,

Many thanks for highlighting this exhibition at the Folger Shakespeare Library.  You might think of writing a review of the exhibition for the September issue of ‘The Heraldry Gazette’.  Its editor, Bernard Juby is always looking for good copy and I am sure that such a review would be of great interest to members of The Heraldry Society.  On the assumption you would be happy to write such a review, it might be best to drop Bernard an e-mail warning him off in order for him to reserve space for you.

As ever

John

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

29 January 2014 04:32

Under the "Who’s Who" tab is the following brief biography about the curator of the exhibition -

"Dr. Nigel Ramsay has been a research fellow in the History Dept of University College London since 1997. He is a historian of medieval and Tudor England, and previously held posts at Canterbury Cathedral and in the Department of Manuscripts of the British Library. His study of the Tudor herald Robert Glover (d. 1588) will be published by the Harleian Society in 2014."

Would anyone belonging to the Harleian Society please advise us when the Robert Glover study/biography is published.

Regards,

Iain Boyd