Bishop Deeley of Portland

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

14 February 2014 01:43

http://portlandcatholic.org/pictures/image.jpg

The coat of arms of Most Rev. Robert Deeley installed on February 14 as the 12th Bishop of Portland, Maine.

The right side of the shield is divided by a wavy line to suggest water. This theme continues in the lower portion with alternating silver and blue waves, suggesting deep waters and his home see of Boston. Resting on the waters is a scallop or pilgrim’s shell, which, for Bishop Deeley, represents both baptism and a special homage to Pope Benedict XVI, who chose Bishop Deeley for the episcopacy and whose own shield also includes a shell. The silver color of the shell represents the purity of God. Above this is a lion, which Bishop Deeley considers to be emblematic of his family. The front half of the lion is rendered in black and the hindquarters are in red, with the claws and tongue taking the opposite colors.

The left side of the shield, representing the Diocese of Portland, features the diocesan coat of arms, which includes a field of blue with a scattering of gold pine cones. It is based on an ancient French royal family coat of arms and reflects the French roots of the diocese, which date back to 1604.

At the time of his episcopal ordination last year, Bishop Deeley chose as his motto “Veritatem Facere in Caritate,” which he translates as “living the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15).

Design: J. Noonan

Artwork: L. Nicholson

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 February 2014 00:08

Not bad - rather nice actually.  Both arms impale pretty well.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

16 February 2014 08:25

gselvester;101510 wrote:

http://portlandcatholic.org/pictures/image.jpg

The coat of arms of Most Rev. Robert Deeley installed on February 14 as the 12th Bishop of Portland, Maine.

The right side of the shield is divided by a wavy line to suggest water. This theme continues in the lower portion with alternating silver and blue waves, suggesting deep waters and his home see of Boston. Resting on the waters is a scallop or pilgrim’s shell, which, for Bishop Deeley, represents both baptism and a special homage to Pope Benedict XVI, who chose Bishop Deeley for the episcopacy and whose own shield also includes a shell. The silver color of the shell represents the purity of God. Above this is a lion, which Bishop Deeley considers to be emblematic of his family. The front half of the lion is rendered in black and the hindquarters are in red, with the claws and tongue taking the opposite colors.

The left side of the shield, representing the Diocese of Portland, features the diocesan coat of arms, which includes a field of blue with a scattering of gold pine cones. It is based on an ancient French royal family coat of arms and reflects the French roots of the diocese, which date back to 1604.

At the time of his episcopal ordination last year, Bishop Deeley chose as his motto “Veritatem Facere in Caritate,” which he translates as “living the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15).

Design: J. Noonan

Artwork: L. Nicholson

May I share this post of yours on my blog dedicated to Maine heraldry?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 February 2014 10:07

Michael F. McCartney;101512 wrote:

Not bad - rather nice actually. Both arms impale pretty well.

Agree, apart from Noonan’s predilection for over-achieving with personalized episcopal crosses. The star of the piece, of course, is La Rose’s arms of the see in the dexter half of the shield.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 February 2014 20:17

I hadn’t (& generally don’t) pay much attention to the external additaments of episcopal arms, largely because I don’t know all that much about them, & assuming that there is room for artistic license in future renderings.

Looking back at the image posted, I have to agree with Joe for artistic reasons (simpler is better etc)  I’m not particularly qualified to address the ecclesiastical correctness, but if simpler is also more proper/correct, then good for the church!