Why?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

29 December 2013 20:18

I’ve been doing a bit of writing on heraldry lately - to be shared down the line - but for my own research and understanding, I’m curious ... Why do you or any of us practice or research heraldry? Why is it important to you? Why heraldry of all things? What is the point of heraldry in the 21st century? Is there a point?

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

30 December 2013 15:15

I have always been interested in history and the idea of genealogy.  The romanticized images of knights and chivalry play a part, too.  I’m also a sucker for pomp and pageantry.  I suppose it could be seen as a bit of a link to the past.  Men have been designing and assuming arms for 8+ centuries, so why not?  Just as everything else has evolved, so too has the uses of chivalry.  There is no way that Geoffrey V Plantagenet, Count of Anjou, could have foreseen using a coat of arms as an internet forum avatar or as a social media profile pic – but there it is anyway.

For the more nuts-and-bolts side, I am not an overly artistic or creatively gifted person.  I struggled through art classes in school mostly because I want more guidance than just “paint what you feel”.  Heraldry, on the other hand, is an art form with rules.  In have been given a defined canvass and a set color pallet, with a set of guidelines and centuries-old conventions of what can go where.  It all makes sense and still allows room for creativity and (cautious) innovation.  That’s just how I roll.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

30 December 2013 19:14

History, genealogy, and endless eye candy; and creativity in the design & execution of heraldic art, both with my own efforts and appreciation of the imagination and skills of others.

Also, in this forum and others (rec.heraldry in the past & ths HSS) the challenge & joy of exchanging thoughts, challenging and being challenged, and enjoying the on-line and occasional but always rewarding real-word contact with others who share an interest in this subject.

Especially here, during our on-line debates during the drafting of the AHS Guidelines and related exchanges since, exploring, challenging, defending and learning more about the why of heraldry in an American setting.

The focus in our Guidelines on heraldry as a subset & reflection of broader social, cultural, political and legal values and norms (thanks Joe & others!) was for me a particularly valuable insight and inspiration.  It forced me to look beyond romanticism, fantasy and brigadoonery - a particular failing of some of us with Scottish roots! - and approach first just what were & are - or should be - our sometimes unique American and small-r republican values, and only then to frame how heraldry or particular elements or practices in the broader world might fit within those values.  In shorter terms, starting with what it means to be an American and then what heraldic practices "fit" rather than starting with exalted heraldic notions and then trying to justify them regardless or in spite of our own broader national history and values.

I’ve always (at least tried to) keep an open mind and a respectful attitude towards various foreign heraldic systems and practices, whether or not they were/are compatible with my own small-r republican values & prejudices.  What was sometimes (often?) missing was an analytical approach that balanced appreciating the differing cultures of others when expressed and applied in their own context, with my gut-level but not always well-thought-out rejection of some of those same practices in an American context.  The process of creating our Guidelines helped me to resolve this dissonance in a way that I believe/hope does justice to both.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

30 December 2013 21:16

Michael F. McCartney;101198 wrote:

History, genealogy, and endless eye candy; and creativity in the design & execution of heraldic art, both with my own efforts and appreciation of the imagination and skills of others.

In addition, I would like to have something that will identify my "future family," with. Even if it’s not necessary in our time to have one, yet, having one makes us unique from other family’s.

Which reminds me, i got to register my CoA’s. LOL

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

05 January 2014 20:47

Good point—wish I’d said it!

Andemicael

Andemicael
Total Posts:  257
Joined  02-04-2006

17 April 2014 16:26

It’s a combination of a passion for graphic design and genealogy, for me.

It is one of the earliest structured graphic identity systems and I have a hunch it plays a significant role in the evolution of the concept of brand identity in the west. That makes it fascinating.

I support anything that gets people to think in an abstract, minimalist, visual way. Heraldry does that and makes it precious and personal. Good mojo.