Can a chief be “fimbriated”?

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

23 April 2014 21:36

This is the quasi-heraldic logo of a trucking company based in Scarborough, Maine:

http://www.rcmoore.com/images/R-C-Moore-logo.jpg

When I saw it, my mind immediately attempted to blazon it (go figure).  This is what I came up with:

Argent, WORDS Gules on a chief indented Or fimbriated Sable three mullets Gules pierced Or

Can a chief be “fimbriated”?  If so, (re: tincture law) could a metal chief be placed on a metal field if it were fimbriated of a color?

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

23 April 2014 21:47

steven harris;101933 wrote:

This is the quasi-heraldic logo of a trucking company based in Scarborough, Maine:

http://www.rcmoore.com/images/R-C-Moore-logo.jpg

When I saw it, my mind immediately attempted to blazon it (go figure).  This is what I came up with:

Argent, WORDS Gules on a chief indented Or fimbriated Sable three mullets Gules pierced Or

Can a chief be “fimbriated”?  If so, (re: tincture law) could a metal chief be placed on a metal field if it were fimbriated of a color?

Seems like it must be permissible, given the AHS COA- tincture chief on tincture field without fimbriation…

In this case I think what you’re seeing is simply a very heavy outline, not true fimbriation.  Consider the thickness of the outline for the rest of the shield.

I think it all depends on whether you view a chief as a division of the field or whether it is truly an ordinary that must be placed on the field.  Even with divisions of the field I tend to not fancy tincture-tincture or metal-metal divisions.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

23 April 2014 22:20

A chief can be fimbriated. This chief is not. The artwork is simply inconsistent in its outlines.

Some will argue that a chief must follow the tincture rules. Others, like myself, do not adhere to this. A chief is different from other ordinaries in that it displaces rather than overlaps the remainder of the field and its charges. While listed with the ordinaries, a chief is effectively a division of the field.

There are some exceptions, particularly where bordures are concerned, which really only highlight its differences.

StarScepter

StarScepter
Total Posts:  56
Joined  10-06-2011

24 April 2014 06:58

In the image provided, the chief does not look fimbriated to me,,, it just looks like the normal black outline used to improve contrast. What am I missing… AND is a better image available?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 April 2014 08:06

Must be a really slow day in the heraldry universe if we’re arguing about whether a shield with scribbling all over the field violates the tincture rule.

The arms of Corbin, a prominent Virginia family, were "Argent on a chief Or three corbies Sable."  I don’t have the details in front of me right now, but my recollection is that these were confirmed by the English heralds at one of the visitations.  It’s revealing that heraldists in later centuries apparently assumed that the gold chief on silver must have been a mistake and "corrected" the field to sable.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 April 2014 12:05

IIRC correctly, the quartered arms of Pasten-Beddinfield (sp?), who was (is?) a herald or pursuivant in the English College of Arms, included a chief Or on a field Argent with some other charges.

May or may not be a "best practice" from our point of view, but there is ample historical precedent so it’s clearly not seen as a tincture violtion.

JamesD

JamesD
Total Posts:  90
Joined  29-04-2007

26 April 2014 14:46

Michael F. McCartney;101957 wrote:

IIRC correctly, the quartered arms of Pasten-Beddinfield (sp?), who was (is?) a herald or pursuivant in the English College of Arms, included a chief Or on a field Argent with some other charges.

Michael

The blason, as it appears on the White Lion Society website, is:

Quarterly : 1 & 4, Ermine, an eagle displayed gu (Bedingfeld);

2 & 3, Arg, 6 fleurs-de-lys az 3 2 & 1 a chief indented Or (Paston);

over all a label of 3 points az for difference.

So your memory serves you correctly smile

source: http://www.whitelionsociety.org.uk/armorial/norroy.html

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

01 May 2014 13:07

Thanks! - tho’ memory (mine anyway) is all too often a weak reed…