US Heraldic Registry

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

26 February 2014 21:09

Rather than creating a new thread, I figured I would bump this one.

So the USHR came back, but it appears to be unattended. The last update was August 13th, 2013 so I’m curious what the status is, again.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

27 February 2014 09:30

You’re looking at the last update to the page. (I hate webpages that do that BTW). The last registration is dated October 6, 2013. Personally, I find it bizarre that there have been as many registrations as there have been given the general public’s perceptions of heraldry. I would expect only a handful a year.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

27 February 2014 09:50

Kenneth Mansfield;101586 wrote:

You’re looking at the last update to the page. (I hate webpages that do that BTW). The last registration is dated October 6, 2013. Personally, I find it bizarre that there have been as many registrations as there have been given the general public’s perceptions of heraldry. I would expect only a handful a year.

Michael entered into the register a large number of arms of various famous people and public institutions.  For some reason, some people find this problematic. To me it seems entirely logical, given the purpose of a register.

I understand that people are curious about the state of this endeavor, but we seem to have pretty consistently established that members of the AHS forum are not the ones who can satisfy this curiosity.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

02 March 2014 17:44

Joseph McMillan;101587 wrote:

I understand that people are curious about the state of this endeavor, but we seem to have pretty consistently established that members of the AHS forum are not the ones who can satisfy this curiosity.

Partially true. I don’t really have any answers, but I got lucky emailing Mr. Swanson and getting my registration updated and one added for my grandfather. Not much has happened on the site since then (one other registration, I believe).

motx72

motx72
Total Posts:  179
Joined  28-04-2005

03 March 2014 13:49

Had my registration added at the end of last year.  Hope to have the rendering of my arms added sometime soon!  :cool:

Terry Baldwin

Terry Baldwin
Total Posts:  34
Joined  01-04-2014

10 April 2014 11:34

I put in for registration in February and have not heard anything or gotten a reply from the site.  Anybody know if he is still working or has it gone dormant again?

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

10 April 2014 11:59

I’ve sent a registration in twice in a 2-3 month period then sent a follow up email a month after the second attempt and have received no response.  Your guess is as good as mine but I would say its a good bet that it is dormant again.

Terry Baldwin

Terry Baldwin
Joined  01-04-2014

11 April 2014 12:09

Sad about that, I am sure that it is an overwhelming task.

Quent

Quent
Total Posts:  6
Joined  03-04-2014

13 April 2014 12:15

I registered my arms with the U.S. Heraldic Registry last year and am so pleased with the result that I decided not to register anywhere else.  In my opinion, Mr. Swanson did a beautiful job with it.  However, the registry isn’t very useful if it is only intermittently available.

Mr. Swanson not only runs the site himself, I think he pays for the upkeep as well.  That’s too much.  I hope he eventually will turn it over to an established heraldry or genealogical organization.

david

david
Total Posts:  211
Joined  28-05-2009

13 April 2014 20:08

It is unfortunate that his circumstances or resources do not allow a periodic update to be posted at his site, which would avoid these periodic inquiries at AHS about the status of the registry.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

08 May 2014 12:54

There is a notice on the USHR home page re: an extended hiatus last year.  I think we just have to be patient, given that it’s a free registry (unless you order optional artwork) run as a labor of love by a volunteer who like all of us needs to give priority to real life & vocation over avocation.

I finally got around to submitting my own arms last night, and will try to honor my own advice to be patient smile

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 May 2014 14:10

This is going to sound more "old guy" than I mean it to, but heraldry enthusiasts in the United States collectively seem to find it hard to deal with the concept of deferred gratification. Those who have a problem with occasional prolonged radio silence from Michael Swanson’s free registration service should pull out the checkbook, write one for $8,725 made out to "The Corporation of Kings, Heralds, and Pursuivants of Arms," and post it off to Queen Victoria Street, London EC4.

Then breathe deeply and count off the months, months, months before the letters patent show up in your mailbox.

That’s not a slam on the College, by the way. Heraldry is supposed to last forever, against which a few months or a few years are as nothing. Patience.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

08 May 2014 18:28

Joseph McMillan;102034 wrote:

This is going to sound more "old guy" than I mean it to, but heraldry enthusiasts in the United States collectively seem to find it hard to deal with the concept of deferred gratification. Those who have a problem with occasional prolonged radio silence from Michael Swanson’s free registration service should pull out the checkbook, write one for $8,725 made out to "The Corporation of Kings, Heralds, and Pursuivants of Arms," and post it off to Queen Victoria Street, London EC4.

Then breathe deeply and count off the months, months, months before the letters patent show up in your mailbox.

That’s not a slam on the College, by the way. Heraldry is supposed to last forever, against which a few months or a few years are as nothing. Patience.

[ATTACH]1323[/ATTACH]

Is that too subtle?

Terry Baldwin

Terry Baldwin
Joined  01-04-2014

09 May 2014 11:27

With due deference to my other members, there is a difference between patience and abandonment, I would wager that the college would acknowledge the "$8725" with at least a receipt or reply to inquiry emails.  If I had at least a "I have received your registration" email.  Then I would not be unwilling to wait for an extended period.  Complete silence, leaves you wondering if your request has been dropped into a "black hole".  For all we know, Mr. Swanson has completely lost interest and simply forgotten to close the site down, or God forbid passed away.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

09 May 2014 19:36

Terry Baldwin;102037 wrote:

With due deference to my other members, there is a difference between patience and abandonment, I would wager that the college would acknowledge the "$8725" with at least a receipt or reply to inquiry emails.  If I had at least a "I have received your registration" email.  Then I would not be unwilling to wait for an extended period.  Complete silence, leaves you wondering if your request has been dropped into a "black hole".

Well, "complete silence" is the same response you get from the New England Historic Genealogical Society when you register arms with them.