Dimitri Gallitzin

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Total Posts:  1223
Joined  31-07-2007

14 July 2014 11:35

Has the AHS considered adding an entry for Dimitri Gallitzin to one or another category of the roll of early American arms—religious leaders, for instance? The so-called "Apostle of the Alleghenies," a Russian nobleman and one of the very first RC priests ordained in the United States, would seem to warrant inclusion. I’d offer to do the emblazonment myself but lack the requisite software.

It could be that it’s already here somewhere, and I’ve simply failed to spot it. If so, my bad.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

14 July 2014 21:08

Wilfred Leblanc;102211 wrote:

Has the AHS considered adding an entry for Dimitri Gallitzin to one or another category of the roll of early American arms—religious leaders, for instance? The so-called "Apostle of the Alleghenies," a Russian nobleman and one of the very first RC priests ordained in the United States, would seem to warrant inclusion. I’d offer to do the emblazonment myself but lack the requisite software.

It could be that it’s already here somewhere, and I’ve simply failed to spot it. If so, my bad.

He could certainly be added to both the REAA, assuming he was here before 1825, and to the religious leaders roll.  Do you have the blazon of his arms?

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

14 July 2014 23:32

Joseph McMillan;102213 wrote:

He could certainly be added to both the REAA, assuming he was here before 1825, and to the religious leaders roll.  Do you have the blazon of his arms?

I don’t have the blazon, but here are some images:

http://www.demetriusgallitzin.org/Chapel House/Interior/Gallitzin - Stained Glass window - Gallitzin crest.jpg

http://www.demetriusgallitzin.org/Chapel House/Crest Stamp/Stamp.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/Demetrius_Augustine_Gallitzin.jpg

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

15 July 2014 20:57

There appear to be some differences between the three images.  In such cases, Joe, do you look for the most "official" version in the Old Country records, or the version actually used here?  (I assume the latter, with maybe a footnote to the former, but am curious if that’s accurate.)

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

16 July 2014 12:53

http://www.demetriusgallitzin.org/images/Stained Glass Crest.jpg
Quote:

Prince, priest, and missionary, Demetrius Augustine Gallitzin was born at The Hague on December 22, 1770; he died at Loretto, Pennsylvania on May 6, 1840. He was a scion of one of the oldest, wealthiest, and most illustrious families of Russia. His father, Prince Demetrius Gallitzin (d. 16 March, 1803), Russian ambassador to Holland at the time of his son’s birth, had been previously for fourteen years the Russian ambassador to France, and was an intimate acquaintance of Diderot, Voltaire, d’Alembert, and other rationalists of the day….

...On March 18, 1795, Demetrius was ordained a priest, being the first to receive in the limits of the original thirteen of the United States all the orders from tonsure to priesthood….

source

According to Wiki, "Peter I permitted the Golitsyns to incorporate the emblem of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania into their coat of arms."

-Guy

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

16 July 2014 12:56
gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

16 July 2014 18:23

I attended college in Loretto, PA and used to see his grave all the time (which was not, at that time anyway, decorated with his arms). He was Lithuanian, not Russian.

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

16 July 2014 22:46

I beg to differ, Fr. Guy. Yes, the Gallitzin family was of Lithuanian descent (as the arms clearly show), but to say that Dimitri Gallitzin was "Lithuanian, not Russian," is a little like saying FDR was Dutch, not American. The presence and prestige of the Gallitzins in Russia are very well attested from the late Middle Ages to the Revolution—and, actually, on through the years of the Soviet regime, as even a cursory glance at an encyclopedia will reveal.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 July 2014 14:41

Fr Gallitzin is now in both the alphabetical section of the REAA and in the roll of religious leaders.

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/uploads/Notable/gallitzin.gif

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

22 July 2014 16:41

Cool!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

23 July 2014 13:34

Good job, Joe!

—Guy

Wilfred Leblanc

Wilfred Leblanc
Joined  31-07-2007

24 July 2014 12:38

Excellent, Joe. Thank you for responding so favorably to my suggestion.