Orders, Decorations, and Awards

zebulon

zebulon
Total Posts:  65
Joined  23-12-2013

14 August 2014 04:50

I have read the society’s guidelines pertaining to "Orders, Decorations, and Awards," and was curious -

1. How low can you go? Neck decorations like the Medal of Honor are obviously okay ... it says ribbon-borne medals can be added to arms, but is there a certain point at which it would be better to just leave it off altogether if it were the highest award issued? For instance, would one really want to display the Army Achievement Medal?

2. If you received the Venerable Order of St. John and your highest U.S. decoration was the Army Achievement Medal would you really want to display the Order of St. John in tandem with the Army Achievement Medal as per 2.2.3.2?

3. Out of curiosity, are there any extant examples of people displaying federal civil decorations with their arms (e.g. Department of Energy Meritorious Service Award, etc.)? Are there extant examples of people displaying state decorations like the Order of the Palmetto or the Washington Medal of Merit?

4. Would the membership badge of a lineage society operating under a congressional charter (which I think is only the SAR and the SoC) be considered an "Other U.S. federal decorations?"

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

14 August 2014 10:33

zebulon;102427 wrote:

I have read the society’s guidelines pertaining to "Orders, Decorations, and Awards," and was curious -

1. How low can you go? Neck decorations like the Medal of Honor are obviously okay ... it says ribbon-borne medals can be added to arms, but is there a certain point at which it would be better to just leave it off altogether if it were the highest award issued? For instance, would one really want to display the Army Achievement Medal?

AAM is as low as you can go. Whether you do or not is a matter of personal judgment. I suspect most people would omit the AAM, but I suppose there may be some to whom it is very meaningful.

Quote:

2. If you received the Venerable Order of St. John and your highest U.S. decoration was the Army Achievement Medal would you really want to display the Order of St. John in tandem with the Army Achievement Medal as per 2.2.3.2?

In my opinion, you should, if the AAM is the only U.S. decoration you have. You don’t actually receive the MVOStJ, however, you join it—it may be an honor in the British galaxy of such things, but I have a hard time seeing it that way. To me, it’s more like a somewhat exclusive club. In any case, the MVO’s own rules stipulate that you can’t display the order’s insignia at all except with arms granted/recorded/matriculated with one of the Queen’s officers of arms.

Quote:

3. Out of curiosity, are there any extant examples of people displaying federal civil decorations with their arms (e.g. Department of Energy Meritorious Service Award, etc.)?

Well, me for one.

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/uploads/Armorial/McMillan_ahs_20.jpg

Quote:

4. Would the membership badge of a lineage society operating under a congressional charter (which I think is only the SAR and the SoC) be considered an "Other U.S. federal decorations?"

No. A Congressional charter does not turn a private entity into a public one, and a decoration is something conferred to recognize an act or achievement. Being born with qualifying genes for membership in a lineage society is not something for which one is decorated. (And the Society of the Cincinnati does not, as far as I am aware, have a congressional charter, although at least some, perhaps all, of the constituent state societies were incorporated by their respective legislatures.)

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

14 August 2014 11:37

I think Joseph pertty much nailed it.

zebulon

zebulon
Joined  23-12-2013

14 August 2014 16:02

Joseph McMillan;102429 wrote:

Well, me for one.

http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/uploads/Armorial/McMillan_ahs_20.jpg

That’s beautiful - what are the three decorations, if I might ask?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

14 August 2014 16:41

zebulon;102435 wrote:

That’s beautiful - what are the three decorations, if I might ask?

Department of Defense Distinguished, Meritorious, and Exceptional Civilian Service Medals (reading from dexter to sinister).

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

14 August 2014 19:30

Joseph McMillan;102436 wrote:

Department of Defense Distinguished, Meritorious, and Exceptional Civilian Service Medals (reading from dexter to sinister).

Second award of the Meritorious Civilian Service Medal.

zebulon

zebulon
Joined  23-12-2013

07 September 2014 19:45

A new question - do decorations issued, in medal form, by political subdivisions created by a state (e.g. county, city) count as state awards? That is, should they be displayed with the arms?

Two possible examples:

- One is a LA police officer and receives the Los Angeles Police Medal of Valor; would this be customarily acceptable to display?

- What about an award issued not in medal form, but superior to certificate form, such as the key to city? Could one suspend the key to a city below the shield?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 September 2014 02:48

Don’t recall if our Guidelines cover state & local law enforcement of fire dept awards but IMO they should be OK.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

09 September 2014 04:51

Regarding the present correspondence.  However laudable the notion is for an individual to display all manner of items with his/her heraldic achievement, I believe in the precept of ‘less is more’ rather than cramming in all the awards one can muster.  As a another contributor has recently stated an heraldic achievement is not supposed to be seen as some sort of visual CV.

Although most individuals are proud to achieve recognition for their work and other activities as such the acquisition of degrees and diplomas, professional qualifications, appointments in military and public office, etc, they have no place in the display of arms.  Academia with its gowns and hoods, square caps (mortar boards), bonnets from a British perspective (and where The Queen is Sovereign in the Commonwealth Realms and Territories) have never been been used as adjuncts to an heraldic achievement.  Again, from the British and Commonwealth perspective only - membership (of whatever grade) of orders and decorations (military or civilian) are displayed if the armiger so desires in heraldic achievements.

Medals awarded during military service such as campaign medals or for long service and good conduct, as well as the civilian equivalent are never displayed in heraldic achievements.  The known exception to this from a British or Commonwealth perspective is that certain medals whilst not displayed hanging from below an heraldic achievement were often during the late 18th and early 19th centuries used as augmentations within the arms or on the crests of military commanders.

I know that undoubtedly the response from some will be that as America threw off the yoke of British rule it is for American armigers ‘open season’ to do what they wish, but all I am attempting to say in a rather long winded way is that a little prudence is required when thinking about what to display in one’s heraldic achievement and that whatever is included is tastefully done rather than displaying something for the sake of it.

In closing, I believe another correspondent has made mention that the bookplate is a good vehicle for including one’s ‘achievements’, such as the arms of one’s university/college; badges of military units one has served with, etc.  All of these could be placed around the border of one’s bookplate.

With every good wish

John

zebulon

zebulon
Joined  23-12-2013

09 September 2014 15:14

liongam;102629 wrote:

Regarding the present correspondence.  However laudable the notion is for an individual to display all manner of items with his/her heraldic achievement, I believe in the precept of ‘less is more’ rather than cramming in all the awards one can muster.  As a another contributor has recently stated an heraldic achievement is not supposed to be seen as some sort of visual CV.

Although most individuals are proud to achieve recognition for their work and other activities as such the acquisition of degrees and diplomas, professional qualifications, appointments in military and public office, etc, they have no place in the display of arms.  Academia with its gowns and hoods, square caps (mortar boards), bonnets from a British perspective (and where The Queen is Sovereign in the Commonwealth Realms and Territories) have never been been used as adjuncts to an heraldic achievement.  Again, from the British and Commonwealth perspective only - membership (of whatever grade) of orders and decorations (military or civilian) are displayed if the armiger so desires in heraldic achievements.

Medals awarded during military service such as campaign medals or for long service and good conduct, as well as the civilian equivalent are never displayed in heraldic achievements.  The known exception to this from a British or Commonwealth perspective is that certain medals whilst not displayed hanging from below an heraldic achievement were often during the late 18th and early 19th centuries used as augmentations within the arms or on the crests of military commanders.

I know that undoubtedly the response from some will be that as America threw off the yoke of British rule it is for American armigers ‘open season’ to do what they wish, but all I am attempting to say in a rather long winded way is that a little prudence is required when thinking about what to display in one’s heraldic achievement and that whatever is included is tastefully done rather than displaying something for the sake of it.

In closing, I believe another correspondent has made mention that the bookplate is a good vehicle for including one’s ‘achievements’, such as the arms of one’s university/college; badges of military units one has served with, etc.  All of these could be placed around the border of one’s bookplate.

With every good wish

John

Excellent input and perspective, thank you!

In emulating the Commonwealth standards, as I read it, there would be no decorations commonly issued to U.S. citizens that would be customary to display with the arms, as the U.S. government has established no orders of merit or chivalry, and only awards of merit (However, even then, I wonder if the Legion of Merit would be acceptable on the basis of it being issued in degrees? On the other hand there’s no grand mastery of the legion so any resemblance to an order may be superficial.).

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

09 September 2014 17:40

Dear Max,

I believe that the Legion of Merit would acceptable to display in an heraldic achievement pendant from its ribbon below the shield as I believe that it is analogous or has the equivalence of an ‘decoration’ in the British or Continental European sense, although so saying it might just squeeze under the wire by being an ‘order’ under the same equivalence.  Likewise, those US military personnel who have received ‘decorations’ such as the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross (Army), Navy Cross, and the Distinguished Flying Cross should happily display these pendant from their ribbons below their shields if they are armigerous.

With every good wish

John

zebulon

zebulon
Joined  23-12-2013

09 September 2014 19:37

liongam;102645 wrote:

Dear Max,

I believe that the Legion of Merit would acceptable to display in an heraldic achievement pendant from its ribbon below the shield as I believe that it is analogous or has the equivalence of an ‘decoration’ in the British or Continental European sense, although so saying it might just squeeze under the wire by being an ‘order’ under the same equivalence.  Likewise, those US military personnel who have received ‘decorations’ such as the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross (Army), Navy Cross, and the Distinguished Flying Cross should happily display these pendant from their ribbons below their shields if they are armigerous.

With every good wish

John

I think I misunderstand then - you previously said "Medals awarded during military service such as campaign medals or for long service and good conduct, as well as the civilian equivalent are never displayed in heraldic achievements" ... but above you said medals are displayable?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

10 September 2014 01:27

zebulon;102646 wrote:

I think I misunderstand then - you previously said "Medals awarded during military service such as campaign medals or for long service and good conduct, as well as the civilian equivalent are never displayed in heraldic achievements" ... but above you said medals are displayable?

The AHS guidelines are exactly consistent with John’s advice and with most other countries’ practice. The only issue is terminology. There are some decorations that have the word "medal" in their name, and in common U.S. parlance we call all of them "medals." In British usage, if the pendant isn’t round, the decoration is usually called something else. So what we call the Medal of Honor and the Presidential Medal of Freedom would probably have been called the Star of Honor and the Presidential Star of Freedom if a Brit had been assigning the names. Don’t let this throw you.

What John is describing as inappropriate for heraldic display are what the U.S. military calls "service and campaign medals," in other words those that everyone present within specified geographic boundaries during specified periods receives without any special, individual recommendation or approval being required.  These include things like the Southwest Asia Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Campaign Medal, and so on.

The other, higher, category of personal awards is (in the U.S. as in the UK) technically called "decorations," which are awarded based on specific recommendation for specific acts and approved on a case-by-case basis. Any decoration is appropriate for heraldic display, whether in the form of or having the name of a "medal" (U.S. Distinguished Service Medal, British Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, French Medaille Militaire, etc.) or not (Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Croix de Guerre).

The third category, which the British have and we don’t, is orders.

Somewhere in between decorations and medals, in the U.S. system, are the service Good Conduct Medals.  These are not awarded automatically, like other campaign and service medals, but the Department of Defense puts them in the same broad category; they are not officially considered decorations.  See robust discussion elsewhere in the forum on whether or not GCMs should be displayed with arms.  I say not, others say yes, and there are probably some who say "it depends."

The other distinction we make in the AHS guidelines is "awarded by a sovereign authority." Clearly this includes the U.S. government and, as we decided in the guidelines, foreign governments recognized by the U.S. It also includes U.S. states, which in our system enjoy internal sovereignty. Beyond that, it becomes a matter of personal judgment. We don’t say that decorations and orders given by other entities cannot be displayed, merely that those given by recognized U.S. and foreign sovereigns definitely can.

Given how American police forces are organized, I would say an award for valor given by a local department could be displayed, if you (the recipient, the bearer of the arms) think it appropriate.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 September 2014 02:04

No need to restate my personal opinions stated earlier but do want to address the concern re: turning one’s armorial display into a CV.  If one were to include multiple gongs - take a look at the display of gongs and ribbons on the uniform of many senior US officers - then of course the result would be overly busy and IMO rather silly.  However IIRC our Guidelines reconnend no more than three gongs hanging below the shield, which as in the image Joe posted earlier is entirely appropriate and dignified.

Whatever one’s views as to which gongs are acceptable - on which we may in some cases differ - there is I hope no disagreement that no more than three should be shown in any one rendition, presumably those one values most highly or are most appropriate to the occasion.

(My use of the term "gongs" is not intended to disparage any particular categories of medals/awards/decorations etc. It’s just my shorthand, or maybe just laziness. smile )

zebulon

zebulon
Joined  23-12-2013

10 September 2014 11:41

Joseph & Michael - thanks much, that makes perfect sense! I think I just didn’t understand the difference in national terminology and your explanations clarified it perfectly. So campaign ribbons and commemorative medals NOT OK (and I assume this includes qualification badges, too? e.g. marksmanship badges?), others OK. Now let me ask this - I notice many national coats of arms of Latin American nations use flags in lieu of mantling (e.g. Bolivia, Panama, etc.). Is that incorrect heraldry or is there some basis to do that with corporate arms (or are the flags in the Bolivian arms actually supporters)? Could one do something similar with individual arms, using campaign streamers as a form of "modern" mantling? I think the only other armies that have ever used campaign streamers are now defunct (i.e. Prussia, Austria-Hungary) and I don’t believe the UK has ever used streamers, so I’m guessing there’s no precedent to draw from either abroad or in the tradition of the deposed monarchy.

On the question of a municipal or county award issue in medal form it sounds like it would be a stretch to include it. (For the record, this does not apply to me, but is more a matter of general interest / curiosity.) As I read this, a police medal issued by or in the name of a head-of-state like the President or a Governor, or by authority of a statute, would be acceptable (e.g. the Public Safety Medal of Valor at the federal level, or Washington Law Enforcement Medal of Honor at a state level), but something issued under the authority of a mayor or of a city ordinance probably would not (e.g. aforementioned LAPD decoration).

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

10 September 2014 14:56

The rules that apply to sovereigns (including sovereign republics) don’t apply to personal arms, and in many countries there are official rules that apply to the arms of public entities (towns, cities, ministries, government directorates, military units, etc.) that wouldn’t apply to personal arms, either.

I would advise you not to get creative with campaign streamers as mantling, etc.  (1) In doing heraldry, you’re becoming part of a tradition, so (my advice is) honor the traditions.  (2) For those in the know, it will just come across as a way of evading the advice not to display campaign medals.  If you absolutely have to show that you served in the military during an operation, then displaying the campaign medal below the shield is preferable to arraying the streamers over the shield.

As you will recognize, I’m pretty conservative about these things but, as I said, I think a decoration for valor from a police department is worthy of display like any other decoration.  To be clear once again:

- Our guidelines on "gongs" say, basically, you are certain to be OK with displaying any decoration conferred by a sovereign; they do not say that it is incorrect to display other decorations/orders/etc.  They advise that you use your best judgment, and they try to give advice on things that generally are not displayed.

- Our guidelines are only advisory.