Tightening Up A Design

NLP337

NLP337
Total Posts:  43
Joined  11-05-2014

15 September 2014 18:17

Actually, I like the ‘or and gules’ iteration, and could easily adapt my crest to it. My question though, is, is that too close to another ‘Peterson’ CoA:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/clayprince337/PetSwedCOA_zpsfac75c36.jpg

(image used from HeraldicJewelry.com)

Or will the embattlement be enough to separate the two?

I could change the stars to three of this Adinkra symbol:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/clayprince337/akofena_sword_of_war_zpsaf1d0ad6.gif

Would that work?

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

15 September 2014 20:45

Something like this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/clayprince337/18c592bf-af21-466f-8cfd-822bc57f0f10_zps53f9cb17.jpg

I know there is color on color (gules), and claws/nose/eyes, are silver, but these can be fixed easily. I was moving fast when putting this together. :D

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

15 September 2014 23:14

NLP337;102720 wrote:

My question though, is, is that too close to another ‘Peterson’ CoA:

Or will the embattlement be enough to separate the two?

I don’t think anyone would mistake one for the other.  That achievement you posted looks like it came from a bucket shop so it is probably an ancient achievement that’s being plagiarized by them for their website.

NLP337;102720 wrote:

I could change the stars to three of this Adinkra symbol:

I also don’t see a problem with the three pierced mullets.  If they have meaning for you then so be it.  If you were to use the Adinkra symbol you’d probably be better served to show them in gold (Or) and not black (Sable) to avoid a tincture violation.  Personally I like the mullets better because they would scale better than the Adinkra symbol.  At a smaller scale the Adinkra could be mistake for say some plumes or scales.

For clarity the line I used is a variant of embattled called dove-tailed.  a True embattled line has square merlons and not trapezoidal.  I just like the look of it better than a basic embattled line.

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

16 September 2014 00:20

I agree with your points. The mullets will scale better.

Let’s see ... (of course, correct me if I’m wrong):

Or a lion rampant holding a spear gules, on a chief dovetailed gules three five pointed mullets pierced Or

Is that blazoned correctly?

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

16 September 2014 03:24

NLP337;102724 wrote:

Or a lion rampant holding a spear gules, on a chief dovetailed gules three five pointed mullets pierced Or

Is that blazoned correctly?

Looks about right to me.  Of course you’ll want to do a "refrigerator test" to see if this is really a design you like.  Don’t want to assume the arms and then at some point down the road come up with "Armiger’s Remorse" about them.  There really is no rush on this.  The intention is that you use these for a lifetime and pass them on.  Make sure you really like them.

Someone with better resources than mine might be able to do a proper search to ensure that these arms are not being used by anyone else.  A cursory search rendered no results but there are many different sources and I am not familiar with them all.

One last thought I had, consider replacing the gold with silver and inverting the arms so that it is "Gules, a lion Rampant holding a spear argent, on a chief dovetailed argent three 5-pointed mullets Gules".  My reasoning for that is to allude to your nickname.  Silver on red represents "Grey Lion" better than red on gold.  So many options, be sure to explore them all.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

16 September 2014 03:56

NLP337;102701 wrote:

Okay, I have two proposals:

1. http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/clayprince337/Proposed CoA/87e33e74-eec2-46e2-b14d-25049721c251_zps39305cc9.jpg2. http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/clayprince337/215887ad-8968-4452-bf60-e444cc6fa405_zpsdc0031f3.jpg

In both cases, when painted, the lion will be grasping the weapon, not just awkwardly holding it between its paws/legs.

Awaiting input ...

Why did these get rejected so fast?  I actually kind of like them as being a bit more original than the oft used "on a chief three of anything" designs.

Have we already rejected looking at any of the other lion attitudes?Rampant guardant/reguardant or Salient Erect come to mind…

mjsmith

mjsmith
Joined  15-08-2012

16 September 2014 09:19

Kathy McClurg;102727 wrote:

Why did these get rejected so fast?  I actually kind of like them as being a bit more original than the oft used "on a chief three of anything" designs.

Have we already rejected looking at any of the other lion attitudes?Rampant guardant/reguardant or Salient Erect come to mind…

I don’t see why anything is off the table at this point (unless it’s already been assumed or granted).  I thought even passant holding a sword in chief with his selected Adinkra symbol as the main charge would be interesting as well.  The only issue I saw with those was a potential unintended MacMillan reference.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 September 2014 09:51

I don’t see any MacMillan infringement here.  We’re not in Scotland, and even there there are a few other arms with lions rampant and stars in chief.  As long as the tinctures are not the same (black or black and blue on gold), there would be no confusion.

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

16 September 2014 19:12

Kathy McClurg;102727 wrote:

I’ve been trying to come up with more original designs, while keeping a general idea in mind, and giving weight to the experience and suggestions that I’m receiving hEre. Both of these designs are still being considered. My wife likes the ‘Or a lion rampant holding a sword sable three mullets pierced Or (I’m reaching here ... ) running dexter flank to base point’. (is that correct?)

Quote:

I’ve thought somewhat about the other attitudes, but in my research, can’t find what Guardant or Reguardant mean, and what their use/rules are:
Quote:

The Symbolism of Attitude or Position -

It must be evident to every one who has given any thought to the subject that a definite idea is meant to be conveyed to the mind by the attitude in which an animal is depicted; and such figures are not mere arbitrary signs, like the letters of the alphabet, which of themselves convey no meaning whatever."A lion rampant" is, as the term suggests, a lion in the act of fighting, rearing on his hind legs to meet his antagonist. He is therefore depicted with wildly tossed mane, staring eyes, and guly mouth; his muscular limbs and distended claws braced up for the combat betoken the energy and power of the noble brute. How different is the idea conveyed by the lion statant in the firm majesty of his pose, calmly looking before him; or couchant, fit emblem of restful vigilance and conscious power, prepared on the instant alike to attack or defend.

(from the ‘Internet Sacred Text Archive’ - www.Sacred-text.com)

So, I understand that the attitudes represent action, focus and energy, from Rampant (fully in combat) to the restful Dormant. What do the head positions mean though and are any of them reserved for monarchs and peers, like supporters?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 September 2014 19:51

NLP337;102738 wrote:

I’ve thought somewhat about the other attitudes, but in my research, can’t find what Guardant or Reguardant mean, and what their use/rules are:

(from the ‘Internet Sacred Text Archive’ - www.Sacred-text.com)

Guardant means looking at the viewer; regardant means looking back over his shoulder.  There are no rules, and they mean whatever you want them to mean.

Quote:

So, I understand that the attitudes represent action, focus and energy, from Rampant (fully in combat) to the restful Dormant. What do the head positions mean though and are any of them reserved for monarchs and peers, like supporters?

No, none of them are reserved for anyone.  I think you may do well to hit the local library and check out one or more of the books on our "Basic Heraldic Bookshelf, http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Books.Bibliography#toc1.  You’re getting some bum dope from the Web, I’m afraid.

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

16 September 2014 22:52

Joseph McMillan;102739 wrote:

Guardant means looking at the viewer; regardant means looking back over his shoulder.  There are no rules, and they mean whatever you want them to mean.

No, none of them are reserved for anyone.  I think you may do well to hit the local library and check out one or more of the books on our "Basic Heraldic Bookshelf, http://www.americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=Books.Bibliography#toc1.  You’re getting some bum dope from the Web, I’m afraid.

Thanks. Yep, I’ll check out the library. I’m just trying to be careful since not everything in heraldic symbolism is straight forward or means what you’d think it means (the anchor for example). For some reason, I thought the head positions had deeper meanings than just "looking at the viewer or over the shoulder". Supporters and forward facing helmets are reserved though, right? I’m off to the library ... :facepalm:

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

16 September 2014 23:36

mjsmith;102726 wrote:

One last thought I had, consider replacing the gold with silver and inverting the arms so that it is "Gules, a lion Rampant holding a spear argent, on a chief dovetailed argent three 5-pointed mullets Gules".  My reasoning for that is to allude to your nickname.  Silver on red represents "Grey Lion" better than red on gold.  So many options, be sure to explore them all.

Something like this?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/clayprince337/d1b155ee-cf8e-4342-a724-cdc05b5542d4_zps403b5e08.jpg

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

17 September 2014 22:40

Okay. I think this will be the last design:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/clayprince337/cc484222-1120-41d0-8fcc-6f056d035237_zps42a4a796.jpg

Unless someone already has this CoA, I’m going to start eliminating designs, and prepare to do my refrigerator test, on the one or two that I really like.

Input is still welcome, and I’d like to thank everyone who has chimed in so far. smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

18 September 2014 03:43

Making good progress.  On a purely practical marital note, include your spouse’s preference in your refrigerator test - while it’s certainly not my favorite, none of us here are the one you share a pillow with smile

Strong ditto to Mathew Smith’s posting #21 above (if I have the # right) - take your time!

NLP337

NLP337
Joined  11-05-2014

18 September 2014 08:44

Michael F. McCartney;102763 wrote:

Making good progress.  On a purely practical marital note, include your spouse’s preference in your refrigerator test - while it’s certainly not my favorite, none of us here are the one you share a pillow with smile

Strong ditto to Mathew Smith’s posting #21 above (if I have the # right) - take your time!

Oh yeah. LOL She has seen them all, and given me feedback. She actually had a hand in setting the star and lion positioning on the last design (which is now her favorite).