new RC Bishop of Fall River

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 September 2014 18:15

Watced part of the installation of the Most Reverand Edgar Da Cunha as the new (Arch?)bishop of Fall River on TV this morning.

At the lower left of the TV screen was the arms of, I assume, the (arch?)diocese, with a jeweled mitre above the shield.  As best I can blazon it, the arms were Argent a bend wavy Azure, over all on a cross nowy [plain cross with a round center] Gules a star of six points Or - a nice relatively simple design, easy to distinguish in small scale or at a distance.

Occasionally visible in the background above the bishop’s chair or throne, but small & hard to see on the TV screen, were the inpaled arms os the see and bishop.  Dexter was the arms described above; sinister what I assume were the bishop’s personal arms; harder to make out but appeared to be Per fess Sable (or maybe a dark blue) and Argent, in chief a triangle voided surmounting three annulets Argent (only thr outer arcs of the annulets showing), and in base a bendlet wavy (dark color - maybe blue or black?) surmounted by something round, maybe a globe (also a dark color).

I’ve likely butchered the blazon, for which apologies; hopefully Fr. Guy or some other kind soul will correct me.

Disclaimer - not an RC and not always appreciative of some of their heraldry, but this (arms of see) was IMO quite good! - and far above my occasional "we’ve seen worse"!  I am curious re: the new bishop’s personal arms, which as noted above were only briefly visible in the background but what I could see looked promising.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

24 September 2014 22:35

Those are the arms of the Diocese of Fall River except that the star is argent.

I can’t speak for the arms of the bishop.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

25 September 2014 02:08

Thanks!  The color of the star wasn’t clear, so I guessed (wrong).

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

26 September 2014 01:26

I posted about it here: http://exarandorum.wordpress.com

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

26 September 2014 04:08

Very nice blogsite! (if that’s a real word) - Thanks!!