Achbishop Fisher of Sydney

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

21 October 2014 11:51

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/538/yiD4a7.jpg

These arms, designed and executed by a personal friend of his, show his personal arms (impaling the arms of the Order of Preachers of which he is a member with arms derived from those of St. John Fisher) with the arms of the See of Sydney on an inescutcheon in chief.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

21 October 2014 12:20

Interesting design.  His personal arms are both nicely canting and cleanly simple, for a cleric anyway smile ; the Dominican arms we see frequently in this area (they have several houses, churches, and the old, originally Franciscan,Mission San Jose in/around Fremont); and the Diocesan arms are quite nice!  Individually, three well-designed coats.

The unusual marshalling, while interesting and decorative, is to me somewhat busy & crowded, and confusing without the written explanation.  It all strikes me as too much of a good thing.  Is this a pattern commonly used in Australia?

My wife & I are scheduled to visit Sydney in late March so I’ll look forward to visiting their cathedral to see how these arms are depicted there.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

21 October 2014 16:09

Looking thru An Armorial of the hiearchy of the Catholic Church in Australia by Michael Francis McCarthy I would say Michael that this is not a common way in Australia to unite the Arms of the See with the Personal Arms of the Bishop. Far the most common way is by impaling See Arms with the Bishop’s Arms.