Washington Area Schools

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

24 October 2014 18:27

I mistook the Gonzaga school mentioned above for the one in Spokane, Washington State, lol.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

25 October 2014 15:55

The DC-area Gonzaga, while hardly an exemplar for heraldic creativity and simplicity, is head & shoulders better than their Spokane "cousins."  Luckily the Zags (one of my favorite teams) are better basketball players than heralds!

Oh yeah - "my opinions only, others may differ"

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 November 2014 01:37

Re-reading this thread, I looked at the link in message #8 above, to Benedictine arms designed by Don Bayne.  Item #10 on that site, the arms of Assumption Abbey in North Dakota, I recall fondly from college days in the early 1960’s.  The Abbey had licensed the Brookside Winery in Guasti, east of Los Angeles, to produce, label and sell a line of pretty good wines bearing the abbey’s name and arms, with a share of the profits going to support the Abbey.  (I don’t know if this arrangement is still in place.)

More nearly on topic, but on the West Coast, I happened upon the business card of the chaplain of Saint Andrew’s School, an Episcopal school in Saratoga, near San Jose, California.  The card bears a shield that might be blazoned Per satire Azure (or maybe Bleu Celeste) and Argent, in chief fretty Argent, in base three fish fesswise in pale, the middle fish facing to sinister, overall a saltire Gules.  As drawn however, the saltire is a bendlet sinister surmounted by a bendlet, both Gules fimbrated (dark blue), cloyee at the center by three nails.  Unfortunately the school’s website doesn’t seem to show or describe the arms so can’t say if the drawing is correct.