More Blazon Help

larrysnyder

larrysnyder
Total Posts:  70
Joined  30-09-2009

24 November 2014 00:47

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/lls38/Archessmall-1.png

I have been working with divisions of the shield and I came up with the design illustrated here. I would blazon this: Gules, reverse arch enhanced in chief, arch enhanced in base meeting at at fess point both Argent per pale counterchanged. Other suggestions?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 November 2014 01:40

Interesting design.  How about Per pale Argent and Gules a demi-roundel issuing from chief and another issuing from base meeting at the center point all counterchanged?  - perhaps adding "as is more clearly depicted below"  smile

Just my best guess, others will likely have different & better options.

Kathy McClurg

Kathy McClurg
Total Posts:  1274
Joined  13-03-2009

26 November 2014 11:55

Michael F. McCartney;103093 wrote:

Interesting design.  How about Per pale Argent and Gules a demi-roundel issuing from chief and another issuing from base meeting at the center point all counterchanged?  - perhaps adding "as is more clearly depicted below"  smile

Just my best guess, others will likely have different & better options.

Wouldn’t it be per fess Gules and Argent because the roundels are counterchanged?

Per pale Gules and Argent demi-roundels issuing from chief and base conjoined at fess point counterchanged.

larrysnyder

larrysnyder
Joined  30-09-2009

26 November 2014 14:17

What is the difference between a demi-roundel and an arch enhanced? I surmise that an arch enhanced is simply an arch moved higher on the field and does not produce the semi-circle I desired. By the way, I prefer the demi-roundel, keeps it simple.

j.carrasco

j.carrasco
Total Posts:  639
Joined  20-04-2011

26 November 2014 14:34

Kathy McClurg;103094 wrote:

Per pale Gules and Argent demi-roundels issuing from chief and base conjoined at fess point counterchanged.

Beat me to it.  This was going to be my guess as well.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

26 November 2014 18:58
David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

27 November 2014 08:04

j.carrasco;103096 wrote:

Beat me to it.  This was going to be my guess as well.

This.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

28 November 2014 04:24

Don’t understand Kathy’s question re: per fess;

but her version of Per pale etc. is better worded than my initial suggestion - kudos!

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

28 November 2014 11:38

Wouldn’t it be per fess Gules and Argent because the roundels are counterchanged

huh? I think your point was regarding the order of the colors and you got your division wrong. Correct?

Ditto others’ comments.

larrysnyder

larrysnyder
Joined  30-09-2009

28 November 2014 18:20

Nice and simple. Thank you all

Larry

Could we add a forum category for Blazon?

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

29 November 2014 03:09

Dear All,

From my own personal opinion, I think blazoning the two hemispheres as ‘demi roundels’ as a bit too cumbersome as roundels should from an aesthetic viewpoint be viewed as charges of a relative ‘normal’ size in proportion of the arms being designed.

Would it not be best to blazon the arms as follows:

Per pale argent and gules issuant from the flanks two piles concave and conjoined at fess point counterchanged

This blazon would appear to be a little more concise whilst describing the original intention of the design.

As ever

John

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 November 2014 07:35

I’m attracted to John’s blazon, but doesn’t it leave open the possibility that the upper and lower will be more like Gothic arches than half circles?

Not a blazoning question, but I also have reservations about the entire graphic scheme.  I haven’t drawn up variations, but I have a feeling that its effectiveness depends on the shape of the shield used.  It also seems to my taste to be more clever than useful, for what it’s worth.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

29 November 2014 15:46

Dear Joe,

Regarding your first proposition.  Yes, there is always a risk along the lines you mention, but has it not already been so when interpreting a blazon?  Of course, English heralds always have the get out clause ‘as depicted more plainly in the margin’ to act as a guide.

I agree with your second proposition that often the overall effect of the arms so designed especially in the present case or similar where the design is dependant on lines of partition and having no other charges that the shape of the shield comes into play.  Aesthetically what one had originally envisaged as a design will come to grief when depicted on shields of varied size and shape.  Again, to blazon the two hemispheres a ‘demi roundels’ jars somewhat to both my mind and eye.

As ever

John

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 November 2014 16:29

I agree completely that "roundels" is (are?) wrong for this blazon, but am not sure what’s right.  Perhaps "two hemispheres issuant from chief and base meeting at fess point."

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

29 November 2014 22:35

"Hemispheres" seems OK in this case - better than "piles concave" which as Joe notes could as easily be gothic arches as semi-circles.  Both IMO attractive patterns; not necessarily the same visually but perhaps not really different enough to be considered heraldically unique unless the pointy gothic version is muchly exaggerated.

I tried sketching both patterns on a variety of shield shapes - heater, circular, lozenge, baroque - and while like most any design it works better on some than others, none were IMO total losers, except maybe a shield with a large cut-out in dexter chief for a tilting spear (IMO not a particularly good match for any number of shield designs).

The only weakness I can see for this pattern would be as background for a large central charge which would tend to obscure the partition pattern to look like gyronny of six.

larrysnyder

larrysnyder
Joined  30-09-2009

30 November 2014 02:02

This division seems to me to lend itself to four identical, counterchanged or alternate charges , as shown.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/lls38/Coats of Arms/Coa_Saltires.jpg