Town Branch Bourbon (Lyons Usurpation)

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

08 December 2014 15:58

I just noticed a coat of arms on a bottle of Town Branch Bourbon and was disappointed to see that it is the bucket-shop arms of Lyons, which have been taken straight out of Burke’s. Town Branch is a subsidiary of Alltech, which is owned by Irish immigrant Pearse Lyons.

The entry from Burke’s General Armory reads:

Lyons (Ledestown, co. Westmeath). Sa. a chev. erm. betw. three lions sejant guard. ar.  Crest - On a chapeau gu. turned up erm. a lion’s head erased ar.  Motto - Noli irritare leones.

The bottle label:

[ATTACH]1383[/ATTACH]

Now I’m curious to see if any other Alltech brands (mostly beers) have used these arms.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

09 December 2014 12:40

How very disappointing.  A complete failure as far as their branding goes.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 December 2014 02:54

Disappointing but not all that surprising or uncommon - just walk the aisles of any large liquor store or wine shop.  Not all will fail the test, but many if not most domestic beverage labels sporting heraldry will be no better.  Educating the public is an uphill struggle, hopefully not like Sysifus (which I’m probably misspelling, being a product of the public skoolz).

Of course there’s the remote possibility that the Irish immigrant Lyons might be actually entitled to those arms… smile

mghofer

mghofer
Total Posts:  46
Joined  14-09-2014

10 December 2014 15:39

One would think that it is a missed opportunity.  Having unique arms would be another way for the company to distinguish itself.  However, when it come to bourbon, which is distinctly American, it may be that their audience likely doesn’t notice or know better.

That said, I hope they spend more time on their product than they did on the arms.  So far it does not bode well.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

10 December 2014 16:14

Are we certain that Pearse Lyons isn’t entitled to these arms?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

11 December 2014 02:43

I agree with Mark that this is a missed opportunity, on two levels - the arms likely infringe, absent evidence of actual entitlement based on proven descent; and even if proven, the artwork is IMO neither inspired nor inspiring.

Since the name is Irish, it wouldn’t be difficult to create a heraldically unique design based loosely on the historic Irish arms, essentially the "indeterminate cadet" approach common in Scottish and Scotch-Irish families with no documented connection to the historic chiefs of their name; and then coughing up the penniless to commission attractive and eye-catching artwork.  Top-notch bourbon deserves top-notch labeling.