US Heraldic Registry

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 May 2014 01:59

I didn’t get an email, but an acknowledgement message on the USHR website (presumably visible only to me) did appear immediately after I hit "send."

It would be nice if the website had a "pending applications" link, hopefully automatic (like the acknowledgement noted above) so it wouldn’t require even more time & attention from Michael; but hey, beggars can’t be choosers.

And ditto Joe—while I haven’t personally experienced the delays from the English heralds (haven’t applied, & not so far inclined or flush enough to do so), I’ve read scads of "woe is me, this is taking forever" messages over the years on rec.heraldry & the HSS forum from others who have ponied up the required proofs & cash.  Michael gives us +/- the same for free smile

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

12 May 2014 06:14

Joseph McMillan;102034 wrote:

Those who have a problem .... should pull out the checkbook, write one for $8,725 made out to "The Corporation of Kings, Heralds, and Pursuivants of Arms," and post it off to Queen Victoria Street, London EC4.

Cheques are made out to the Marshalcy Crown Monies Account (and additional art work paid direct to the herald-agent), so at least one to "the Corporation …" would not be cashed wink
Quote:

That’s not a slam on the College, by the way. Heraldry is supposed to last forever, against which a few months or a few years are as nothing. Patience.

Indeed. The quality of the parchment, calligraphy, art, seals, skippets, silk cords and even the box embossed with the royal arms are certainly worth the wait. The price is not so very high when you cost in the several crafts folk employed and the time of several heralds and kings of arms and scrutiny of the Earl Marshal. It is a good way to make a contribution to the survival of both traditional skills and a venerable institution. Easily paid for by foregoing buying a car new in favour of second hand. Now, where’s my percentage for advertising?

Quent

Quent
Total Posts:  6
Joined  03-04-2014

19 May 2014 10:52

I encourage people who are registering with USHR to order the certificate (with Mr. Swanson’s artwork) as well.  It is a good way to provide funds for site upkeep.  The certificate is, to my eye, quite well done, and the site generally is straightforward and graphically pleasing.  While his achievements are not works of art, they display the elements of the design very well, similar to herald’s drawings in a working armorial.  I"m using his rendition of my arms as the avatar for this forum.

I believe Mr. Swanson obtained the templates for his achievements from one of the Scandinavian registries.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

07 December 2014 21:02

For those of you who are unaware, Philip Blanton has assumed control of the USHR as of December 1st. Personally, I am excited about the USHR becoming an active part of the heraldry community again.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

08 December 2014 02:23

Great news - thanks!

Do you know if Philip has any recent submissions since the last update to the site?  (self-serving question since one of them was mine smile )

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

08 December 2014 08:51

Im not sure, but I hope so as I have registrations pending as well.

MacEanruig

MacEanruig
Total Posts:  49
Joined  07-11-2014

08 December 2014 09:34

I submitted a request in November along with an email, but I have not heard anything. I am hesitant to resubmit, because I don’t wish to burden Mr. Blanton. I would like to order original artwork if that option is available on the new website.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

11 December 2014 09:44

HI all!

Sorry for not posting anything for a while.  Lately, I’ve returned to lurking in the shadows and reading what others have to say rather than contribute actively.  I’ve found that requires way more time than I would like to commit right now.  ‘-)

The rumors are true, I am now the new owner of the US Heraldic Registry!  I’m really excited about this opportunity and hope to expand upon what Michael began.

I have received several new registration submissions that I am currently working through.  You may have seen some new ones on the website that I processed this past weekend.  Michael had a large backlog of requests prior to the change and I am working with him to transfer all of those over to me.  Until that transfer is completed, if you had submitted a request for the free registration prior to 01 DEC 2014, please feel free to resubmit your request and I’ll get to each in the order they were submitted.  If you requested one of the paid services before then, I will need to work with Michael to get those completed.

Thank you for your patience during this transition period.

Take care,

-Phil

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

11 December 2014 10:16

It will be so nice to have the USHR up and running again, thanks for taking this over!

Terry Baldwin

Terry Baldwin
Total Posts:  34
Joined  01-04-2014

11 December 2014 11:04

Second Mark’s comment.  I received a reply to my request for information on my order very promptly.  Thank you very much for taking up the registry task.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

11 December 2014 14:32

Phil - re: your posting #43 - /unclear to me whether we need to resubmit anything sent to Mike before 21/1, or if we have the option of just being patient?

Either way, many thanks for taking on this project!  And thanks to Mike for starting USHR and running it for such a long time!

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

11 December 2014 14:57

Congratulations, Phil. And best of luck to you in your endeavor!

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

11 December 2014 17:44

Congratulations, Phil!!

I had attempted to contact Mr Swanson back in April 2012 through every means that I could think of to offer my assistance in getting the USHR site back on track.

I’m glad that he is taking on some help.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

11 December 2014 22:46

Michael F. McCartney;103187 wrote:

Phil - re: your posting #43 - /unclear to me whether we need to resubmit anything sent to Mike before 21/1, or if we have the option of just being patient?

Either way, many thanks for taking on this project!  And thanks to Mike for starting USHR and running it for such a long time!

Mike - You can always opt to wait it out.  However, if all you’re looking for is to register your arms, then feel free to re-submit your registration request and I’ll take care of it as soon as possible.

Take care,

-Phil

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

12 December 2014 00:48

I submitted circa last July, give or take a month (since I used the online form on the USHR website I don’t have a copy).  So assuming you’re processing the oldest ones first, I’ll just be patient rather than submitting, which is difficult using my Kindle tablet’s somewhat limited capacity.