Yet another new member

mghofer

mghofer
Total Posts:  46
Joined  14-09-2014

08 December 2014 16:27

Greetings, everyone.

I am Mark Hofer, II and am new to the Society.  I have not yet fully devised or registered arms yet, although I have been reading a lot on the topic and have some developed ideas on where I’m going with it (to be shared in another post at another time).

A little about me:  I am a lieutenant in the United States Navy. I will pin on lieutenant commander September 2015.  I work in information warfare (i.e. cryptology and cyber) and have a M.S. in Electrical Engineering.

I caught the heraldry bug several months ago, although I think that is when I manifested full blown symptoms and that I was infected many years ago.

Also, I paid dues some weeks back.  Could someone update my account to reflect? Thanks.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 December 2014 02:42

Welcome aboard, LT!

Since you’ve joined the Society, we’ll greatly enjoy assisting in your design process - we love playing herald.  The info you’ve shared above is a start, but a bit more on your family’s history, activities, achievements, location and so on would be helpful in possibly suggesting elements or design themes.

Of course you’re free to start the process whenever you feel ready, and to accept or dismiss whatever we may suggest, but you (and we) should find the exchange of ideas useful.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, please read the AHS Guidelines linked to our home page since they set the sidebars, at least as we see them.

Also you might go to the Forum Index and browse the Heraldic Design section which should have a bunch of earlier threads re: designing new arms for any number of members.  Some were fairly quick & simple, usually when the new member already had a basically sound draft that hopefully benefited from some suggested fine tuning.  Others started essentially from scratch, or from a draft that needed lots of work, and in some cases extended over several months of give and take.  Yet others fell somewhere in between.

In any case, please be willing to take your time - in relationship terms, the goal is Ms. Right, not merely Ms. Right Now.

Where your process would fit in that spectrum remains to be seen!

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  10-03-2009

10 December 2014 19:15

Welcome Mark!

(also: it never hurts to PM the admins about administrative/membership issues as they are pretty amenable so such) :D

MacEanruig

MacEanruig
Total Posts:  49
Joined  07-11-2014

13 January 2015 20:18

How long does it normally take for a membership application to be approved? I submitted my application online, paid the membership fee and received an email with log-in information on January 1, but I still have not been approved.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

18 January 2015 11:56

Apologies for the delays. But welcome to our humble society.

Unfortunately our forum is terribly out-dated and there’s a bit of paper pushing that has to happen on the back-end that is not yet automated. Simultaneously, we’re volunteer run organization and it can take some time to complete said paper-pushing.

I will check with Treasury to ensure payment was made and upgrade accounts accordingly.

Regards,

Jeremy Hammond

MacEanruig

MacEanruig
Joined  07-11-2014

19 January 2015 11:56

Jeremy Keith Hammond;103401 wrote:

Apologies for the delays. But welcome to our humble society.

Unfortunately our forum is terribly out-dated and there’s a bit of paper pushing that has to happen on the back-end that is not yet automated. Simultaneously, we’re volunteer run organization and it can take some time to complete said paper-pushing.

I will check with Treasury to ensure payment was made and upgrade accounts accordingly.

Regards,

Jeremy Hammond

No apologies needed. I appreciate the response. Thank you!

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

27 January 2015 11:09

Again - apologies for the delay. Your accounts have been upgraded.

Regards,

MacEanruig

MacEanruig
Joined  07-11-2014

27 January 2015 13:27

Jeremy Keith Hammond;103428 wrote:

Again - apologies for the delay. Your accounts have been upgraded.

Regards,

Thank you! :p

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 January 2015 11:59

Looking forward to seeing & reading about your arms on our Members Roll !