New Bishop Church of Sweden

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

11 January 2015 07:40

On 14 December 2014 Eva Nordung Byström was consecrated Bishop of Härnösand in the Church of Sweden. Her Arms are not perhaps the greatest Heraldry.

http://www.svenskakyrkan.se/Sve/Bilder/Bilder/Eva_sköld liten.png

In the first and fourth Quarters the Arms of the Diocese the Eye of God within the Stars forming the Constellation Corona Borealis (Northern Crown) symbolising the Northern location of the Diocese. The Personal Arms in the second and third Quarters. The Dove and Olive Branch symbolise the Holy Ghost and Peace, the Roundel and Star symbolise Wisdom in Greek Sofia. The Lower Ray of the Star is substituted by a Chalice symbolising the Eucharist. The Motto translates as "Now is the time of God".

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

12 January 2015 20:42

Presumably the arms the diocese were already established under an earlier bishop.  Not sure how we should blazon them in English (or rather Anglo-Norman); the official description in Swedish I would guess is unlikely to translate well!

The new bishop’s personal arms I rather like!  - though the visual image (and hopefully the Swedish blazon) is likely to be simpler than any DIY English blazon.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

13 January 2015 08:59

Michael F. McCartney;103385 wrote:

Presumably the arms the diocese were already established under an earlier bishop. Not sure how we should blazon them in English (or rather Anglo-Norman); the official description in Swedish I would guess is unlikely to translate well!.

How about "Azure a triangle irradiated Or between seven mullets in annulet Argent"?

I would rather blazon the last bit as "surrounded by a ring of seven stars," but that wouldn’t be Anglo-Norman.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

07 February 2015 06:36

The Diocesean Arms was approved in 1976 and designed by Hans Schlyter, City Architect of Sundsvall and creator of many Coat of Arms in the Area. This was upon the initiative of the then Bishop Bertil Werkström (later to become Archbishop of Uppsala).

The Swedish blason reads "I blått fält ett liksidigt triangulärt fält, från vars sidor strålknippen utgår, allt av guld och omgivet av en krans av sju femuddiga stjärnor av silver".

Which translates something like this "Azure a triangular field of equal sides emitting from all sides bundles of rays all Or and encirceled by a ring (krans realy means wreath but I dont think that translation could be used here) of seven Stars of five point Argent".

This replaced the 1961 Arms created by the State Heraldry Office upon the base of an old seal. The blason of the 1961 Arms was "Sköld medelst skyskura delad av blått, vari en triangel av guld och av guld, vari en femuddig blå stjärna" which translates as "Parted per fess nebuly Azure a Triangle Or and Or a Star of five points Azure".

From Wikimedia a picture http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Härnösand_stift_vapen_pre1976.svg/251px-Härnösand_stift_vapen_pre1976.svg.png

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

07 February 2015 13:45

I really like the old arms!  Hopefully they can be recycled for something related to the diocese - maybe their ministry to the elderly? smile

Michael Y. Medvedev

Michael Y. Medvedev
Total Posts:  844
Joined  18-01-2008

12 February 2016 15:18

Excellent arms imho. Not as simple as we love it, but anyhow, very decent :D