Question about embellishment?

Cleave

Cleave
Total Posts:  11
Joined  28-08-2013

26 March 2015 23:37

What exactly is it called when you add a subtle color variant scrollwork or leaves or what nots to the solid color when doing the emblazon?

Also, why is it added? I always in the past let the brush strokes make it interesting.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

27 March 2015 00:11

Cleave;103724 wrote:

What exactly is it called when you add a subtle color variant scrollwork or leaves or what nots to the solid color when doing the emblazon?

Also, why is it added? I always in the past let the brush strokes make it interesting.

Are you thinking of diapering?  Here’s an example:

http://www.modaruniversity.org/images/diapering-2006d.gif
Quote:

Diapering: Heraldic term referring to the field

or a charge being decorated with damask or

arabesque or knotwork in a lighter or darker

shade of the tincture it is on. Thus it gives

ornamentation without being a part of device.

Note: In the above example, the field is diapered

with light gold on dark gold and the chief is

diapered with light green on dark green.

image source.

—Guy

Cleave

Cleave
Joined  28-08-2013

27 March 2015 01:17

Thank you for the term. So it is just to break up the spaces to give it a more interesting look? It is something that I always wondered about but never tried to do.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

27 March 2015 12:12

Cleave;103727 wrote:

Thank you for the term. So it is just to break up the spaces to give it a more interesting look? It is something that I always wondered about but never tried to do.

Rather, think of the background being damask silk or other cloth that has a floral design, or is sprinkled with small thingies.  Diapering is an artist’s technique and will not be mentioned in the blazon.  You just tell your painter, "Hey! .... how about peppering the background with tiny skulls-and-crossbones" (or florals, or whatever your fancy may be).  Generally, it’s better to tell the artist you’d like the shield diapered and then give the artist a free hand (if he is willing to do it).

—Guy

Cleave

Cleave
Joined  28-08-2013

27 March 2015 12:21

Pretty much like a single color brocaded cloth