Uxorial redesigns

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

12 March 2016 14:02

Howdy folks,

So with all the heraldry in re the little kiddo that’s on his or her way my wife has confided in me that she has never been very satisfied with the shield I made with her several years ago, she felt that is wasn’t "very exciting". Okay, so let’s revisit. I’ve put together some things that she’s more fond of but I was hoping that some of the kind folks here might give their feedback and comments.

Firstly. We pondered on this: Per chevron nebulee rose and vert, issuant from base a tulip slipped and leaved Argent. (please excuse the little clip art artifact… my mistake). She liked it but her response was tepid at best.

Secondly. We tried to mix things up a bit with Per saltire vert and rose a saltire nebulee argent and in pale two tulips slipped and leaved of the second. This one she really liked, but it breaks the rule of tincture. Personally, I’m more inclined to play fast and loose with that particular rule but it was… poorly… received over at reddit’s r/heraldry, they were highly critical of the tincture rule and were moderately against using rose as a tincture at all. She wasn’t a fan of changing to tulips to a metal for purely aesthetic reasons

Which leads us to Per saltire vert and azure a saltire nebulee and in pale two tulips slipped and leaved Or. She definitely likes using rose (or, "pink" as she insists on calling it) but also understands that there are rules in play and definitly likes the green, blue and yellow combination better than green, pink and white/yellow combinations. Incidentally, the saltire looks quite nice on a lozenge.

So what do you folks think?

How does the design look?

Am I blazoning correctly (especially with the use of "slipped and leaved" and "in pale two…")?

How concerned should I be with rule of tincture and the use of rose?

Any and all comments are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

13 March 2016 23:45

So… there are some new thoughts… Now she’s digging purple.

Per saltire purple and vert a saltire nebulee argent and in pale two tulips slipped and leaved Or.

http://i.imgur.com/2ZwThWcm.png

http://i.imgur.com/THnmTtLm.png

What do we think?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 March 2016 03:54

Not my favorite colors (not that it matters wink )

but the design itself is nice and clean, and works well on either shield or lozenge, as shown; or on an oval cartouche or sqare banner.

It should also work reasonably well impaled or quartered with your arms, though the result in either case will be fairly "busy" and impaling would either squeeze the saltire, and hence the tulips, or require a wider than usual shield.  For marital arms, I think the two shields next to each other would look nicer than impalement on the same shield.  (Not an original suggestion; adjacent shields are a quite common alternative to a marital impalement.)

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

14 March 2016 13:38

Michael F. McCartney;105627 wrote:

It should also work reasonably well impaled or quartered with your arms, though the result in either case will be fairly "busy" and impaling would either squeeze the saltire, and hence the tulips, or require a wider than usual shield.  For marital arms, I think the two shields next to each other would look nicer than impalement on the same shield.  (Not an original suggestion; adjacent shields are a quite common alternative to a marital impalement.)

It works… okay… Squeezing the saltire doesn’t leave much room for the tulips. Do I understand correctly that if we used two shields mine would basically be mirrored, so that the star is to sinister and the boar faces the other direction?

Have I blazoned things correctly?

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

14 March 2016 16:25

I like it, although I find nebulee a bit crazy on the eyes. Is there some reasons behind the design other than aesthetic appeal?

If you’re going to include a crest at some point, maybe you can incorporate a pink tulip.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

14 March 2016 18:48

arriano;105634 wrote:

I like it, although I find nebulee a bit crazy on the eyes. Is there some reasons behind the design other than aesthetic appeal?

If I’m honest aesthetics is the biggest reason. She liked that it looks like a puzzle, though I have explained that it is supposed to look like clouds. We fiddled with some backwards explanations but it kinda boils down to she liked how it looked.

arriano;105634 wrote:

If you’re going to include a crest at some point, maybe you can incorporate a pink tulip.

I like this idea. We haven’t looked too hard at a crest yet. She’s a major of a Potterhead and she’s mentioned using a badger… I haven’t encouraged that too much, it feels like too much of a blatant rip-off, but we’ll see…

Claus K Berntsen

Claus K Berntsen
Total Posts:  308
Joined  25-05-2005

14 March 2016 19:47

I would recommend trying to use only 2 tinctures, why not Or and Purpure? (I’m personally not fond of Purpure, and wouldn’t recommend using it in a Scandinavian context, but don’t let that stop you!)

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

14 March 2016 20:43

As to the colors, the most important heraldic rule is "happy wife, happy life"!!  Honestly, compared to many of us, having a wife who likes heraldry is a major blessing; not to be squandered by mere artistic preferences smile ).

FWIW my thoughts:

If the two shields are both erect, I wouldn’t reverse your shield.  If they are accollae (SP?) - tilted towards each other - with helmets and crests above each shield, then reverse your whole achievement - shield, helmet and crest - to respect (face towards) hers.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

14 March 2016 22:24

Michael F. McCartney;105637 wrote:

As to the colors, the most important heraldic rule is "happy wife, happy life"!!  Honestly, compared to many of us, having a wife who likes heraldry is a major blessing; not to be squandered by mere artistic preferences wink I kid, I kid.

I really have to remember that it’s purpure not purple…

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

15 March 2016 13:46

She humors you, so you need to reciprocate or she may no longer find it humerous wink