Designing a COA: Where to Begin?

CinncinatusVirginius

CinncinatusVirginius
Total Posts:  5
Joined  28-05-2016

08 June 2016 20:22

Hello all:

I’m new to the AHS, having come here through my interest in Maj. Edward Dale as an armiger (also my ancestor).

I am involved in Scouting in the U.S. which has it’s own unique heraldic emblem.  I’ve been asked to serve on the program committee, known as Roundtable.  I was given a patch designating me as a "Knight of the Roundtable".  I’d like to design a COA to go with that.

I have ideas for the motifs/symbols (please forgive me for not being familiar with heraldic language yet), but need help designing.  What tips would have you provide?  This is just for fun, something to decorate certificates, put on patches, awards, and make it a fun experience.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 June 2016 22:27

Hello, Josh.  Welcome to the society.

A few questions to get started.

- Are you thinking of this as a personal coat of arms for yourself, or perhaps a coat of arms for the scouting organization itself?  Usually a coat of arms would be thought of as belonging to someone (a person or group of people) rather than merely a free-floating decorative design.

-  From the Facebook discussion, I got the impression that you’re somewhere in the Richmond area.  If the proposed coat of arms is for the scout organization, where exactly is it located?  Richmond proper, one of the surrounding counties?  It might be useful to incorporate local heraldic or quasi-heraldic symbols, if they exist.

- It’s been a while since my son was in Boy Scouts, and I don’t remember whether Roundtable is at the district or council level.  Either way, you might want to consider designing arms for the appropriate level body.  Then it would make perfect sense to have it on certificates, etc.  It could also be used more broadly by the district or council.

CinncinatusVirginius

CinncinatusVirginius
Joined  28-05-2016

08 June 2016 23:06

Sir:

Glad to you have you on this thread!  Thank you for the welcome.

1) Coat of arms for the Roundtable (so a group of people)

2) Yes sir, Richmond, Virginia.  I’ve been thinking of what I might include that is Richmond related…the bataeux boatsman?  Dogwood flower?

3)  Roundtable is at the district level.  There’s Assistant Council Commissioners for Roundtable.  A laurel wreath comes to mind since that surrounds the BSA crest.

Joseph McMillan;106036 wrote:

Hello, Josh.  Welcome to the society.

A few questions to get started.

- Are you thinking of this as a personal coat of arms for yourself, or perhaps a coat of arms for the scouting organization itself?  Usually a coat of arms would be thought of as belonging to someone (a person or group of people) rather than merely a free-floating decorative design.

-  From the Facebook discussion, I got the impression that you’re somewhere in the Richmond area.  If the proposed coat of arms is for the scout organization, where exactly is it located?  Richmond proper, one of the surrounding counties?  It might be useful to incorporate local heraldic or quasi-heraldic symbols, if they exist.

- It’s been a while since my son was in Boy Scouts, and I don’t remember whether Roundtable is at the district or council level.  Either way, you might want to consider designing arms for the appropriate level body.  Then it would make perfect sense to have it on certificates, etc.  It could also be used more broadly by the district or council.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 June 2016 23:52

How about 12 dogwood blossoms in a circle surrounding a fleur-de-lis?  Twelve for the points of the Scout Law, a circle for "round table."

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

09 June 2016 16:02

Is this part of the Heart of Virginia Council? If so, maybe a heart can also be included in some way.

CinncinatusVirginius

CinncinatusVirginius
Joined  28-05-2016

09 June 2016 23:10

Nice!  Dogwood for sure…12 might seem like a lot maybe? I like the idea.  I’m going to think on this one.

CinncinatusVirginius

CinncinatusVirginius
Joined  28-05-2016

09 June 2016 23:11

Sure is - and a good point.  Something else to think of!

Once I have an idea of what I’d like it look like…what’s the best way to begin drawing?  Just a rough sketch?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

10 June 2016 02:52

Twelve small objects in a circle is maybe at or near the upper limit of clear visibility, depending on the distinctiveness of the outline - but if the most widely recognized version of the first American flag "works" well with 13 stars in a circle tucked into the upper corner, 12 dogwood blossoms on the full shield or banner should do just fine.

IIRC the Eastern Dogwood -  and drawn (stylized) in the distinctive state flower of VA, KY, & possibly others, has four white pettals arranged like a cross + with semicircular notches at each end (different than the stylized Western Dogwood of British Columbia with five overlapping round white petals).

As a nod to the Heart of VA council, you might consider a small red heart at the center of each blossom.  Hopefully David Pope will share a view of his heraldic badge, based on an Eastern Dogwood blossom.

Oops - edit based on further research immediately following this post ( ready, fire, aim…) - David Pope’s badge is an Eastern Dogwood charged with a red heart - so use of that design as a charge without his OK wouldn’t be proper.  He may not mind, but can’t assume ( wink ) that’s the case without asking.  Sorry!

But that doesn’t rule out Dogwood blossoms, red hearts, or both together in other arrangements; only that one distinctively unique (and IMO quite attractive) combination unless he approves.  And of course you or others might have something different in mind!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

10 June 2016 04:22

Maybe Or ( gold or yellow) ona a roundle (disk) gyronny of twelve Argent and Gules (white and red) on each white piece a red heart and on each red piece a white Dogwood blossom in annulo ( in a circle) around a gold fleur de lys?  Not a very good heraldic blazon (description) which can come later, but hopefully enough of a rough draft to picture the concept.

The decorated disk, standing alone, might also make a nice heraldic badge where the context might favor a round emblem over a shield shape.

Just suggestions FWIW!

CinncinatusVirginius

CinncinatusVirginius
Joined  28-05-2016

14 June 2016 20:30

II think I’m getting an idea in my head.  I’m not tech savy so can’t put in pic that inspired me in the beginning.

How would you all suggest approaching drawing?  Just put pen to paper?

Michael F. McCartney;106048 wrote:

Maybe Or ( gold or yellow) ona a roundle (disk) gyronny of twelve Argent and Gules (white and red) on each white piece a red heart and on each red piece a white Dogwood blossom in annulo ( in a circle) around a gold fleur de lys?  Not a very good heraldic blazon (description) which can come later, but hopefully enough of a rough draft to picture the concept.

The decorated disk, standing alone, might also make a nice heraldic badge where the context might favor a round emblem over a shield shape.

Just suggestions FWIW!

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

15 June 2016 04:24

Yes! - without at least a rough sketch, hard to say whether it’s a good idea or a loser! wink