Richard Jones arms design…

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

18 December 2014 12:05

Michael F. McCartney;103227 wrote:

Ah - just (!) a one-time artistic "shorthand" to reduce the clutter of repeating the full-blown achievement for everyone shown on the pedigree.  Should be interesting to see the finished product! (Hint, hint smile )

That’s probably the best short description I have seen for what I am planning to do.  I will post it up when I am "done" with it (ie. posted up current family members), but it will definitely take some time.  My grandparents 4-children translated into 13-grandchildren, more than 35-great grandchildren (and still going), and now 2-great great grandchildren (also still going).  Just getting names and dates of birth from everyone has been a challenge, even with Facebook.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

19 December 2014 02:37

Can’t wait to see it!.

On a more serious note, you should delete or obscure date of birth on the pedigree or other data you post online (here or elsewhere) for anyone still living, to avoid identity theft.  We’d like to think that every reader here & elsewhere online is an honorable character, but (as I was taught in the Calvinist tradition, and later confirmed in life) "people are [sometimes] no d….d good" - or in the words of the late sf author Robert Heinlein, "trust everyone but always cut the cards."

Of course that shouldn’t be a problem for hard copies you share with family members, but anything posted online or emailed unencrypted is de facto open season for less scrupulous types.  Similar caveats are found on some online genealogical sites, and some even discourage posting names etc. of living relatives.

To keep this posting +/- "on topic" you may have noted that Scottish armorial grants and matriculation posted on line often have the petitioners’ home addresses in the text whited out.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 December 2014 09:04

The obscuring of home addresses always perplexes me, since they’re easily obtainable from the white pages of the local telephone book, not to mention from a number of free sources online.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

20 December 2014 00:44

Assuming the online white pages tap the same data as the printed version, those with land lines can opt to be unlisted, or to be listed with name & number but no address; and AFAIK cell phones aren’t listed at all in printed white pages.

In any case, blanking out addresses in documents posted online at least make the bad guys work harder, which is about all you can say for most home door locks.

And of course Lyon can say "hey, it wasn’t my fault" smile - which is probably the real reason.

mjsmith

mjsmith
Total Posts:  121
Joined  15-08-2012

29 December 2016 15:36

Dead post revival inbound…

I’ve somewhat taken a break from heraldry I suppose…  Then again not really you can never really fully take a break.  Anyway, here is a work in progress on the family tree I mentioned a couple years back.  I am still undecided as to what I want to present in the boundary areas.  There are some unintended “white spaces” on some of the scrolls that need to be removed.  Additionally, my nephew just had a a son yesterday so another addition needs to be made.

http://files.enjin.com/858916/misc/JonesFamilyTree.jpg