Heraldic cufflinks

Stephen J F Plowman

Stephen J F Plowman
Total Posts:  35
Joined  26-06-2007

05 November 2009 06:03

As denizens of the HSS & IAAH forums may know, I have been looking at ways of displaying/wearing my Arms.  One such vehicle is the cufflink.  The top end of the markets seems to be Longmire who have a number of options;

Crest & initials on gold

Enamelled crest & tartan

Unfortunately, my budget is much more modest.  To that end I found Benson & Clegg "By appointment to H.R.H. The Prince of Wales Suppliers of Buttons and Badges."   whilst wandering around London before the Heraldry Society’s AGM last year.  In addition to engraved cufflinks they also can supply engraved blazer buttons.  Because there are no precious metals involved the prices are much more manageable.  There is an intial charge, £52.50, to set up the engraving template.  However, that can then be used again and again on any subsequent orders.  I am still pondering the blazer buttons but I have kicked off with some cufflinks;

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/Plowman/cufflinks3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/plowmans/Plowman/cufflinks2.jpg

The engraving was based upon this image;

http://heraldry-scotland.com/HSSforum/images/avatars/17005800694acf835a1a248.gif

kimon

kimon
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  28-03-2008

05 November 2009 10:58

That’s a very beautiful pair of cufflinks! Congratulations

I had been following your thread over at the HSS with interest and it that which inspired me to get a set for myself.

However, I went with a cheaper alternative to the $3K offering by Longmire…

I used Cufflinks Depot. They were very friendly and these are their charges:

* $50 for the initial setup of the design (subsequent orders with the same design don’t require this payment)

* $8 for the actual engraving

* cost of the cufflinks (you get to choose from their site)

So, overall it’s not a bad deal

Stephen J F Plowman

Stephen J F Plowman
Total Posts:  35
Joined  26-06-2007

05 November 2009 11:21

Kimon

I would have been very surprised if there was not something available on your side of the pond. wink  I look forward to seeing yours when they arrive.

I did find some other UK based websites that offered a similar service for cufflinks but not buttons & vice versa.  So, to be safe, I opted for the one set up fee with B&C who should know about these things.  Even my eldest son, who is normally heraldry averse, warmed to the idea of some cufflinks as part of his 18th birthday.  The plan being to follow the Longmire idea, one panel with the crest and the other with his initials.  I have a year or so’s grace before they are required.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

05 November 2009 14:32

If anyone wants a nice set of cufflinks upon which to engrave your crest or arms, I have a fairly heavy set of unengraved double oval 14k Tiffany & Co. cufflinks that I have only worn a very few times over the past twenty years. With the value of gold going up daily, I have been very tempted to scrap them and spend the proceeds on something more useful. Any offers would be entertained.

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

09 October 2018 23:34

ninest123