The Home Library

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

09 August 2006 11:58

It’s been 20 some years since I bought a heraldry book, and there’s so much I never knew or have forgotten…well, you get the idea. For newbies, or oldbies such as myself, who might want to acquire a few choice volumes for their home libraries, I was wondering if our more seasoned companions here might suggest a few titles that are thought very good and/or indispensible.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

09 August 2006 12:24

Well, I like Neubacker the most of what I have.

I also love MacLysaght for the Irish arms, obviously an important part of heraldry for me.

I have Fox-Davies and the brothers Lynch-Robinson as well.

As for the Scottish side of things, I have Roddy Martine and a small little book (I forget his name right now) that I seen at the Scottish Heraldry Website.

As for Catholic/religious, I only have the Catholic book by Noonan, which if I’m not mistaken Fr. Guy does not like much. But, when I get some more money together I’m going to go after some of Heim’s works.

Also, I read a book by Brooke-Little that was at the library as well.

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

09 August 2006 13:41

Patrick Williams wrote:

It’s been 20 some years since I bought a heraldry book, and there’s so much I never knew or have forgotten…well, you get the idea. For newbies, or oldbies such as myself, who might want to acquire a few choice volumes for their home libraries, I was wondering if our more seasoned companions here might suggest a few titles that are thought very good and/or indispensible.

My first choice is always "Simple Heraldry, Cheerfully Illustrated" by Moncreiffe and Pottinger. It is exactly what its title says. A small book with a simple introduction to heraldry that includes some very nice illustrations. After that basic introduction, there are myriad other elementary texts such as "Boutell’s Heraldry" which comes up on eBay a lot. It was most recently edited by the late John Brooke-Little.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

09 August 2006 14:28

I would agree with Donnchadh on the value of Neubecker and would add to the list von Volborth’s "The Art of Heraldry" and his "Heraldry - Customs, Rules and Styles".

I would add the caveat that Fox Davies was a heraldic writer who (without any official sanction) tended to state as fact that which he would have liked to be so and to turn practices of which he approved into rules, when no such rules actually existed. Approach with caution.

The same can be said of Innes of Learney (especially the 1956 edition). I think that Scottish heraldry will be spending much of the next 100 years quietly undoing some of Innes of Learney’s excesses. Would that we could also call in some of his designs.

Simple Heraldry Cheerfully Illustrated is an excellent little primer, allowing for its natural Scottish bias.

James

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 August 2006 15:49

If I had to limit myself to one, I couldn’t, but if I were allowed two, they would be one of the editions of Boutell’s Heraldry edited by J.P. Brooke-Little (watch out for the English orientation in discussions of law, right to arms, etc., but in my view unsurpassed in discussing how arms are composed, etc.) and Volborth’s Heraldry: Customs, Rules and Styles, for the most thorough and reliable description of heraldic traditions country by country.  Even Volborth has some mistakes, but the fact that he approaches heraldry from a Continental perspective means that he doesn’t insist on interpreting non-British practices through a British lens.

There are others well worth having (I’ve never looked at the Pottinger/Moncreiffe book, but have always heard good things about it), but I basically keep these two by my side as constant references.

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

09 August 2006 16:20

I recommend, but this is more for the people amongst us who draw and paint arms, Das Grosse Buch der Wappenkunst by Walter Leonhard. This is a german book which is absolutly stuffed with all kinds of drawings of arms and the charges that can be put in a coat of arms, even if you can’t read the German text the illustrations are beautiful, and in the rear of the book there is a smal country by country description of the heraldic practices there.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

09 August 2006 17:44

emrys wrote:

I recommend, but this is more for the people amongst us who draw and paint arms, Das Grosse Buch der Wappenkunst by Walter Leonhard.

I second that.  I can’t read German worth a groat, but this is still a great book.

I’d add Friar’s Dictionary of Heraldry and Slater’s Complete Book of Heraldry to the ones listed.

Cheers,

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

09 August 2006 17:50

Well, Patrick, you’ve got quite a list to plow through already, but if you’ve got extra time, the folks at the Scots Heraldry forum tackled the must-reads a couple months ago. There is a Scottish bias to some of their suggestions, but that’s understandable and it is still a thorough list. The thread can be found HERE. Enjoy!

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

09 August 2006 17:57

Yes, Dave, the list is getting impressive. I hope it continues. At some point, I might even try to convince an admin to make a sticky out of it, as I’m sure that many guests who come through this site would benefit! This is just the sort of thing a newbie wants to see-the reference section. lolol

Jochen

Jochen
Total Posts:  232
Joined  04-05-2005

09 August 2006 18:14

Madalch wrote:

I can’t read German worth a groat….

Fishing for compliments, aren’t you…..? wink

Kind regards

Jochen

Oh, by the way - Canada was great…..!!!

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

10 August 2006 14:38

Quote:

Fishing for compliments, aren’t you…..?

I would never fish for compliments.  Invitations, maybe, but never compliments.  And if I were to fish for compliments, it would start out, " So, did you receive the Tressure that I sent you…?"

(Getting back on topic, I must add that every heraldist, novice or not, should subscribe to the Prairie Tressure.  And that’s an unbiased opinion.  Honest.)

Jochen

Jochen
Joined  04-05-2005

10 August 2006 15:37

Madalch wrote:

So, did you receive the Tressure that I sent you…?"

I did (thx), and I’m jealous of you winning the contest….. wink )... (you’ll get it via e-mail).

Kind regards

Jochen

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

10 August 2006 15:51

Madalch wrote:

I would never fish for compliments.  Invitations, maybe, but never compliments.  And if I were to fish for compliments, it would start out, " So, did you receive the Tressure that I sent you…?"

(Getting back on topic, I must add that every heraldist, novice or not, should subscribe to the Prairie Tressure.  And that’s an unbiased opinion.  Honest.)

Well, as long as you’re unbiased. :rolleyes:

So what is, and how does one subscribe to, The Prairie Tressure?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

10 August 2006 15:53

Patrick Williams wrote:

Yes, Dave, the list is getting impressive. I hope it continues. At some point, I might even try to convince an admin to make a sticky out of it, as I’m sure that many guests who come through this site would benefit! This is just the sort of thing a newbie wants to see-the reference section. lolol

A recommended bibliography to put not just as a sticky but on the main part of the website is on the to-do list.

All contributions welcome, esp. those with plus-and-minuses type comments.

Jochen

Jochen
Joined  04-05-2005

10 August 2006 16:50

Is there a discount for VERY talented artists…..?

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

10 August 2006 17:00

Joseph McMillan wrote:

A recommended bibliography to put not just as a sticky but on the main part of the website is on the to-do list.

All contributions welcome, esp. those with plus-and-minuses type comments.

Great! Maybe this thread will help accomplish that. Hear that, everyone? Your idea of essential books, why and how you use them and plusses and minuses!