what do you think of these arms i created?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

21 June 2006 14:36

what do you think of these arms i created?

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/4581/jenmartiniarmscolorsketchfour4.jpg

The helmet is such because she has both Iberian and Italian heritage and I’ve seen lots of these helmets on those sort of arms with no mention of nobility and she chose them.

The crest is a sun in its splendor so to represent the sun dancing, which she believes she saw while on a pilgrimage in Medjugorje and is charged with a cross for obvious reasons.

To reflect her love and serious, sincere love and devotion for the BVM, I used two fleur-de-lis and the cross in the bottom is a representation of the hill cross in Medjugorje where she says she had her conversion and it is red for obvious reasons.

The badge is the linneas borealis, which plant she named her daughter after and there is two of them to refer to her and her daughter, who aside from her religious devotion(s) is the center of her life.

The motto is the one that John Paul II used and she wanted to express her love for this pope by using this motto. On this case I feel rather….uneasy, as I don’t know if it is kosher. Perhaps the good fathers Guy and Archer can tell me.

Now for this client it was made clear to me that this incident in her life was the defining moment of her life and she wanted a coat of arms to reflect that.

edited by member for length

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

21 June 2006 14:37

I like them.  Very clean and balanced.

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

21 June 2006 15:00

I think the crest is a very impressive one. Congratulations ! Maybe you could emphasize its size a bit more ?

This a nice creation, but like you, I feel uneasy with the taking of pope’s motto. I would suggest you to add a small word such as "vero", meaning "truly", which would emphasize the christian meaning of the motto and would also allude to Christ’s use of this expression. You would then get "vero totus tuus".

Of course, the good fathers’point of view is requested !

Nicolas

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 June 2006 15:59

Thanks TR I rather like them myself. I appreciate it.

Thanks Nicolas. About how much larger should the crest be? I also think it is a wee bit small, but when I drew it in pencil, pen & ink sketch form I made it too large. I keep trying to remember the 1/3 rule that everyone mentioned before. But when I make this crest larger the rays make it appear too big. So when I shorten them the circle of the sun looks over powering. I’ve yet to try reducing the circle of the sun and extending the rays. Maybe that will work…I’ll have to try it.

Thanks also for the tip on the motto. I am uneasy because it is the motto of such a well known person. I think that adding the vero is a great idea. Plus in this way it will be like an answering motto one sees with the Scots. I rather like it with vero. I think I’ll be able to convince her of this. Still I’d like to have the good fathers’ ideas on this.

Plus I forgot the ‘don’t ask a question without posting your opinion’ rule. So, as to the non-lozenge shield and helmet for a woman I am for it. In almost all things in life I am a traditionalist. However, I also have a rather different (eclectic) personal style - a traditional, or conservative, person who has colored hair, pierced ears, etc. So, while I accept the idea of a lozenge for women who want them, I also am in favor of non-lozenge shaped shields and helmets for them.

(sorry for not posting my position when asking for one from y’all)

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

21 June 2006 20:15

Very nice, Donnchadh!  I especially like the crest.

Take care,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

21 June 2006 21:33

Thanks Phil. I like the crest too. That is my favorite part of the whole achievement. Well that and the linneas borealis plant badge.

Off topic—how’s the wee little one?

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

22 June 2006 14:29

OT reply:  He’s doing great.  He and mama are sleeping right now, so I’m taking advantage of it to get in some computer time.

Take care,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

22 June 2006 14:37

OT - that is great news Phil.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

26 June 2006 03:44

Here is the final rendering of my friend’s/client’s achievement. It does not show true colors, as the Lexmark scanner I’m using is going out. A replacement is on the way, but it will take a week or so. The yellow, which is cadmium in real life, is showing as a bit green, as the scanner is picking up the dominant blue and transferring it. In real life this is not the case.

So, aside from the color, what do you think?

P.S. She is adamant about the Totus Tuus motto, so I’m leaving it as is.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1352/jenmartiniarmsfinalcolor0ws.jpg