The Home Library

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

10 August 2006 17:27

Patrick Williams wrote:

So what is, and how does one subscribe to, The Prairie Tressure?

(starts up shameless plug)

The Prairie Tressure is western Canada’s most widely-read and popular heraldic newsletter.  (Since the most westerly newsletter other than the Tressure is published in Toronto, I don’t think anyone can argue with that.)

It’s the quarterly newsletter of the Prairie branch of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada.  Each issue tends to be around 40 pages, and contains articles on general heraldry, some arms found in the prairie provinces, heraldic puzzles, and (of course) our ongoing critter contest.

Our first issue is posted online at:

http://www.mad-alchemy.com/hsc/tress1.htm

The first step in subscribing is to send me an email- I’ll have to check to see if our fees have gone up recently, and if we charge extra for out-of-Canada postage.  They were $12 (Canadian) last time I looked, and I’ve been told to stop sending out free copies.

Cheers,

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

11 August 2006 17:33

I forgot to mention a book and this is a nice one if you can get it, which btw took me 10 years or so, "Shield and Crest" by Jullian Franklyn.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

12 August 2006 16:07

My heraldic library just increased by one volume. A 1931 edition of Boutell’s was just delivered! A bit of foxing, but otherwise it’s in great shape. That makes a total of 3: Scots Heraldry by the highly suspicious Innes of Learny, and a little copy of Observer’s, both of which I picked up more than 20 years ago. I’m thrilled!!!

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

12 August 2006 16:35

congratulations, may many more follow smile

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

12 August 2006 16:49

Patrick - OT - I spent last night doing the arms and am almost complete. I will get them to you ASAP. Expect them within the week. They turned out great.

Back On Topic - while I am a talented artist (sorry to sound like an arrogant jerk) I have had little success doing ‘bookplates’. However, talk to Guy Power, Fr. Archer (Scotus) and Fr. Guy and I’m sure there are others. But ask them where they got their bookplates done and what not. It would be nice to see bookplates of your new arms to go along with your library. Some of the places they posted about before were great in their product.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

14 August 2006 21:49

I may indeed do bookplates when the blazon is settled (hint, hint). Anyhow, I went on a little buying spree of my own and books are starting to come in. I read Boutell through in one sitting. Charming (1931 edition), but flapping back and forth to the various plates gets frustrating. Today’s mail brought me a brand spanking new copy of Slater’s The Complete Book of Heraldry. This book is gorgeous! Color photos of art throughout the ages, and renditions by Foppoli, de Bruin, etc. Lush and lavish! It even has a few pages dedicated to Nazi heraldry, of all things. I was previously unaware that there was a Nazi heraldic tradition. Howzabout that? I recommend it to the beginner (it has most everything Boutell has, but pics on the pages you’re reading) but particularly for the artist-it even inspires me (from whom paints and brushes have been known to flee in abject horror).

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

15 August 2006 03:28

OT - Patrick I’ve sent you a PM with what Hugh suggests for part of it. I would strongly recommend waiting until you get them and then scan them in and then PM Hugh, Joe, Mike S., Fr. Guy, etc. for blazoning help. Heck, I’d ask Darren as well, as he is an editor of such things for his paper. I would not go to register a blazon until you have a very solid, good blazon.

I’d scan them in for you, but my Lexmark is down and I am awaiting its replacement. Sorry. :(

Back on topic - I think a bookplate is a great thing to have - especially for your new heraldry section of your home library! You could ask anyone of course, but Guy Power and Fr. Archer have both posted links to very good quality places that do this in the past, so check with them as well.

P.S. I think you’re going to love the arms. They turned out great and with your personal symbolism behind them, well, very nice indeed Patrick; you came up with a great design and I’m honored to have been able to create a crest that matches your basic design them and feel. Be expecting them very soon - well coming via US Postal, so as soon as they get them there anyway.

Greis-Maibach

Greis-Maibach
Total Posts:  67
Joined  04-05-2005

19 August 2006 09:23

Jochen wrote:

Fishing for compliments, aren’t you…..? wink

He surely is

I second Leonhard as well.