MacMillan Armorial

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

20 August 2006 00:39

Hi, guys,

Inspired by some work done on the arms of other families by some participants in Anthony Maxwell’s Scots Heraldry forum, I’ve been collecting historic arms of various MacMillans from a variety of sources, from the official Lyon Register to Burke’s General Armorial.  I’ve put up a webpage with emblazonments, blazons, and sources at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/MacMillan Armorial4.htm.  Enjoy.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

20 August 2006 00:48

Nice Joe. So, are the arms of mcleland (sp?) dated late 16th century the foundaiton of all MacMillan arms? They seem to be the oldest.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

20 August 2006 07:57

Re Macleland—yes, they seem to be. I need to understand the history and genealogy a bit better, but apparently those who have studied the matter think there’s some Gaelic-to-Scots confusion (MacMillan in Gaelic is MacMhaolain, pronounced Mukvowlan OSTL, or MacGhillemhaoil, pronounced Mugillevowl), possibly a relationship between the two clans during the period concerned, and of course Edinburgh’s usual uncertainty about what was going on in the Highlands in the late 16th century. John Gaylor pointed this connection out to me and I probably need to follow up with him.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

20 August 2006 09:06

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

20 August 2006 21:39

Joseph McMillan wrote:

... I’ve put up a webpage with emblazonments, blazons, and sources at ....

Joe,

That is a fine armorial and obviously required a lot of work.  However ... it is lacking: you need to add your coatarmor to the list with the proper attribution!!

I’ve long wanted to do the same for la Poer/Power ... and though I have the blazons, alas I haven’t the software skills.  Mine will likely be a never completed (or begun!) endeavour.

Well done!

—Guy