Masonic Lodge blazon help

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

24 August 2006 14:49

Can someone with a bit more experience tell me if they feel the blazon I have come up with is correct or not.  If not, please feel to correct.

http://kiteandkey.griffithweb.com/Shield.png

Shield:

Per Fesse four points Gules and Or two keys in Saltire all counter-changed in chief two Masonic compass and squares Or

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

24 August 2006 15:36

Yay! Something I’m a bit of an expert in (freemasonry!).

It looks pretty good, but I have the following questions:

Where is the Lodge? If in an English speaking country other than England then the letter G would most correctly appear in the space enclosed by the square and compasses. And, btw, it is correctly "squares and compasses" in that order. The compasses are always plural.

How did you select the color scheme? The Ancient Craft Lodges that use the square and compasses as a symbol are called ‘Blue Lodges’ (except those from the ancient French constitutions which are ‘Red Lodges’) and gold metal is reserved for the use of a Grand Lodge, not one of its constituent Lodges. I’d suggest Azure & Argent. Additionally, the crossed keys are the universal Masonic jewel for the treasurer of the Lodge and so if I saw this one in use, I’d assume that it was the arms of a Grand Treasurer of some Masonic jurisdiction, which would be strange. Or are they canting arms for a particular lodge?

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

24 August 2006 15:41

Ooops, you just asked about the blazon…sorry. "Squares & Compasses" please. But the points of the compasses need to be above the square. The symbol you’re showing is the mark of an apprentice, not a Master Mason.

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Joined  22-02-2016

24 August 2006 16:08

It is for a "Traditional Observance" lodge in Pennsylvania.  Originally the S&C was the way you mentioned however, they instructed to do it the other way with the square on top.

The arms are a cant for the name of the lodge, The Kite and Key Lodge.  The keys are in saltire to represent brotherhood and resolution.  The 4 point counter-changed fess alludes to a kite.  Originally everyhting was blue and silver, but I was asked to change it as in this case using the gold and red should be o.k.  I am no expert in freemasonry and never have claimed to be, so when they tell me to change it, I change it.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 August 2006 16:19

Leaving aside for the moment the question of appropriate Masonic symbolism (not my forte’) I would blazon this as "Per fess Gules and Or on a lozenge throughout two keys in saltire counterchanged, in in chief two (whatever-you-call-them) Or"  —probably adding "...as is more clearly shewn in the margin hereof" or some similar weasle-words.

It is a pretty nice design.  IMO & FWIW it would be even better (because simpler and thus more elegant) without the Masonic badges in chief, but if they are to pertain to a Masonic organization that’s probably not an option.

Most other Masonic arms I’ve seen (a small number) generally seemed to follow a general pattern of a chevron between three somethings, but I can’t say this is so generally true as to raise an expectation, or to cause masonic eyebrows to rise if not followed.

As to the letter "G"—heraldically its a better design (IMO) without the letter, especially since the compass & square is (again IMO) sufficiently indicative of freemasoney.  If more were needed (& I don’t think it is) then (once more IMO)  the all-seeing eye would be preferable.

Are these the existing arms of a particular lodge or whatever, or is this a design proposal?

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Joined  22-02-2016

24 August 2006 17:08

Thanks, it’s a design proposal.  The chevron Michael speaks of is partly why the two symbols exist as to make a visual chevron.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

24 August 2006 20:05

Ah. A traditional observance lodge! That explains much. Hey, if they want it, give it to them. And for Kite & Key Lodge, that’s a great set of canting arms! wink

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Joined  22-02-2016

25 August 2006 12:40

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

..."Per fess Gules and Or on a lozenge throughout two keys in saltire counterchanged, in in chief two (whatever-you-call-them) Or"

I almost forgot to say this.  If I am correct, which I am not more often than I am lately (I’m not a big fan of our judicial system right now), since the points of "the lozenge" reach all the way to the edge it would be a partition.  If we left room at all four points then it would be a lozenge and your blazon would be correct however, I wanted to take up the whole shield always as to not leave any room for error in size for future emblazonments.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

25 August 2006 21:16

I used "throughout" to indicate that the points would touch the edge of the field—just as a chevron throughout reaches & touches the top of the shield. Others may have a better way to say this.

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Joined  22-02-2016

26 August 2006 01:17

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

I used "throughout" to indicate that the points would touch the edge of the field—just as a chevron throughout reaches & touches the top of the shield. Others may have a better way to say this.

I didn’t even catch that when I read it.  I guess it could go either way, that’s why I asked for some more experienced eyes.  Anyone else have an idea or want to help set us straight?