Symbolism of recognition

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

24 August 2006 21:54

I’m requesting all the members’ thoughts on a proposal I was thinking of presenting to my department in regards to recognition of employee merit awards system by using heraldry in its visual expression and presentation. In the same way a COA represents an individual, can something be designed to represent an ideal i.e. a commendation, medal of honor, medal of valor etc… and its tinctures would be used in the medals ribbons?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

24 August 2006 21:58

Why not? This would be a great way to bring others to the wonderful world of heraldry. As to how you’d do it…I’d have to think on that a bit and see what comes to my mind’s eye. I’m sure others will have great ideas as well.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

24 August 2006 22:09

That would be great, any and all ideas will be welcomed.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

25 August 2006 09:35

Chap, it sounds to me like you’re almost describing a form of heraldic badge. I think this could be accomplished pretty easily:

If your company has (or you could design) a CoA with some specific and meaningful charges, then those charges could be lifted as badges and made into service jewelry. Medals, if the company likes (although I’d bet that would be a bit more expensive) or service pins, etc.

Let’s say, for example, that the company’s CoA was, I dunno, Azure a Comet bendwise star in base Or. Then the comet could become a cloissone (sp?) service pin and/or a presentation award for merit, etc. Or a medal with a blue ribbon.

I think it’s a great idea and one you should follow up on.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

25 August 2006 10:43

Any ideas for what could be used for a design for each merit?

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

25 August 2006 12:29

I was kinda thinking of a set up something like this, what do ya think?

http://members.cox.net/nevadaprisoncops/SAMPLE.jpg

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

25 August 2006 12:48

Your company?  I thought you were a police officer?

I think that is an excellant idea!  You can do so much with that!  You can add stars for multiple awards of the same kind.  And with that all you have to do is add to the ribbon but the actual medal would be be different.

Do keep us updated if you make that proposal. I would love to see it happen, it is a great idea.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

25 August 2006 13:23

That was Mr. Williams terminology, It would be for the departmental peace officers and support staff but the ribbon would only be displayed on the uniformed officers.

I will keep you all informed as it progresses and any ideas of design will be appreciated.

Once (if) accepted by the department, I will register each COA as what it represents for the department.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

25 August 2006 13:47

Chapulin wrote:

That was Mr. Williams terminology, It would be for the departmental peace officers and support staff but the ribbon would only be displayed on the uniformed officers.

I will keep you all informed as it progresses and any ideas of design will be appreciated.

Once (if) accepted by the department, I will register each COA as what it represents for the department.

Ow, Chap…please call me Patrick. Mr.Williams is my dad.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

25 August 2006 13:56

But of course Patrick and thanks

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

25 August 2006 17:23

Law enforcement? Absolutely I say YES as I did in my first post. What a perfect vehicle for it!!

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

26 August 2006 09:04

Chapulin wrote:

But of course Patrick and thanks

Oh, believe me, it’s my pleasure. Police, eh? Good on you. My dad was an Air Policeman when he served with 5th Air Force in Japan, my brother an Alaska State Trooper for 21 years.

Please correct me if I’m reading you wrong: you want to design a CoA for each individual award? As I understand it, it would be more traditionally ‘correct’ to design a CoA for your department (indentifying the entity) and then pull charges from that achievement to appear on the medal and livery colors for the ribbon.

And the ribbon for each award would have to be different or you’d never be able to tell which awards an officer had earned when wearing their ribbon bars.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

26 August 2006 20:03

That is correct Patrick, a COA design pertaining to each award. It probably would be best to include a type of color scheme within the design as to also reflect the ribbon to be worn, kinda like I have depicted in the above sample.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

27 August 2006 08:51

That’s a novel approach. I hope you keep us updated with lots of pics as this idea develops!

Brian

Brian
Total Posts:  145
Joined  07-12-2004

28 August 2006 12:24

Chapulin wrote:

I was kinda thinking of a set up something like this, what do ya think?

http://members.cox.net/nevadaprisoncops/SAMPLE.jpg

Generally the ribbon displayed on the uniform is the same pattern as the ribbon that the medal hangs from.  In your example your ribbon is the chief of the arms that would be the medal.  But it’s really up to you and your department what you decide to do.  I’m an officer on our township’s police and fire board and am working with the chief of police on an awards program (ribbon/medals/plaques designs) for his department.  I have a meeting with him this wednesday to finalize the designs.  There are a few commercial medal and ribbon suppliers on the web.  It may be cheaper and easier to use a readly availble ribbon pattern and design arms around it.  If you want PM me and I can send you the links to the suppliers.

Chapulin

Chapulin
Joined  19-08-2005

07 September 2006 18:28

The proposal is on the Directors desk for review and the initial response was good.