My Arms

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

30 August 2006 03:16

Here is the rough draft I have been working on for my arms.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/480ba7ccb5.png

Unfortunantly I don’t really have any symbolism on this. I used an elephant because I have always though of it as a strong sturdy thing (something that can be said of me, my father, and my grandfather). The cheque I just like but i guess it reminds me of a chess board, which to me represents intelligence, and the fox is sly and cunning. The two compasses (compii?) are supposed to be represenative of the focus that I (and father and grandfather) have.

I am also toying with replacing the fox with an otter (playful and energetic) or an Owl (Wise and silent).

Also, like I have said before, I am using mine and my wifes to eventually reverse engineer my parents/her parents. So when i design these i need to give some consideration to how these will fit in with my parents. On mine I think the elephant and cheque will be a remenant of my father, while the blue is definantly going into my mothers shield. I think the otter will fit my mothers family a little better than a fox. Like I have said i think modern coats o’ arms should be a combination of Mother and Father because of the role the parents and children have in society now compared to those 500 years ago.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

30 August 2006 12:54

I like these arms. Is the checkerboard Agent and Tenne or Argent and Gules? I ask because sometimes colors on a computer can play tricks on you.

Have you considered having the elephant facing the other way? I think it might look nicer to have both animals (whichever you finally decide upon) facing center.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

30 August 2006 13:41

Tenne and Argent. If i were going to make them face center, I would probably go bend, instead of bend sinister and have the fox on the bottom left face sinister, with the elephant top right facing center as well, so the most prominant charge is not facing sinister

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

31 August 2006 01:11

Here’s a rendition of the same shield the way ariano suggested, and the way i thought of as well

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/c95f5aed83.png  http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/06aa900c96.png

Personally I like them both facing Dexter, in the original image

anyone else have any comments? critiques? complaints?

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

31 August 2006 01:36

I like those, wich ever you choose the colors and forms look good together.  Although, as I am sure the more technically savy will point out, tenne poses a bit of a sticky situation and you might look into some other color…

either way… very nice

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

31 August 2006 12:24

I like it. The one on the left is best for me, as I like the bend better than the bend sinister (one on right). Great color scheme and very nice. (I’m personally a big fan of checkered coats…always have been).

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

31 August 2006 23:40

Made some Charge Changes. I wanted to update it with a more modern image, and I thought replacing the compus’ (compii? have we come up with the plural of compass yet… i digress) with something that speaks to my more scientific nature. Since I have a graduate degree in physics i thought the atom symbol would be appropriate, classy and modern. (my only concern is that it’s too small to see very well)

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/e88a14c0b1.png

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

01 September 2006 03:13

Quote:

Made some Charge Changes. I wanted to update it with a more modern image, and I thought replacing the compus’ (compii? have we come up with the plural of compass yet… i digress) with something that speaks to my more scientific nature. Since I have a graduate degree in physics i thought the atom symbol would be appropriate, classy and modern. (my only concern is that it’s too small to see very well)

Cool idea on the atom.

Also a good artist can make the bendlet (I assume as it is so small) sinister a little larger to accommodate the charges.

However, we are back to color on color. The blue will not stand out against the orange as well as a color and metal heraldically speaking only.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

01 September 2006 08:43

Grr that color on color thing :rolleyes: smile</a>

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

01 September 2006 12:18

That is very nice.  I only have a couple of suggestions.

If you are going to charge the bendlet with something make it a full bend and instead of having your animals statant have them rampant (standing up).  This will let them fill the shield and give your atoms more room to be visible.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

05 September 2006 11:11

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it out over the weekend, but just didn’t like the way it looked, the atoms ended up being too big IMO. I also tinkered with it a little and tried an azure (blue right?) bend under a tenne bendlet with the two atom charges in the bendlet, but decided that it still looks best the way it is above.

So now it’s just onto designing the Helmet, mantling and other stuff.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

09 September 2006 02:04

The two atoms on the bendlet IMO look a litle lost, being so spread out.  Again IMO it would look better with at least three, and maybe more, atoms since that would better "fill the space" available.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

09 September 2006 10:13

Good Idea Michael thanks

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

13 September 2006 23:46

Michael Swanson wrote:

I would try putting the argent atom in each orange square, and leaving the blue bend uncharged.

I didn’t end up liking this for some reason. I ended settling with arms fairly similar as above (as always I am willing to tweak stuff based on suggestions). There are 3 atoms in the bendlet, instead of 2.

I was also wondering about the helm. Visor open is discouraged for americans right? cause that’s a sign of nobility?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

14 September 2006 00:09

Quote:

I was also wondering about the helm. Visor open is discouraged for americans right? cause that’s a sign of nobility?

I wouldn’t use it because I am not a knight.

The open visor is a sign of a knight in British armory for sure. As to other European heraldry, well, I can’t answer, ‘cuz I don’t know if there was a specific helm identification for a knight. Others who know moreon European heraldry will help you on that I’m sure.

I will note, however, that I have seen helms where the visor is partially open, but not fully. I think this was probably artistic license. So even then I wouldn’t use it.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

14 September 2006 01:06

So here’s what I was thinking for the arms:

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/973b6c5ba4.png

And the entire Coat of Arms:

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/80f6fe9064.png

(obviously the artist would do the mantling better than i did, but i think the general layout is more what I am looking at)