Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 September 2006 16:18

These are my latest two.

Mike Swanson

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5394/mikeswansoncoatarmsfinalnc8.jpg

I like these, but I had absolutely the most trouble with these charges of Rye. LOL. Now I did not use the typical Rye one can find in heraldic dictionaries. I did use as a basis for these Rye the image that Mike forwarded to me. Now, I do not have the little golden lines extending out from the Rye, but I still think it comes together and is a unique rendition of these wonderful arms.

Ton de Witte

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8066/tondewittearmsfinalhi8.jpg

I like these as well. Ton was kind enough to offer me a rendition of my arms, which can be seen on my member’s arms page and which I strongly encourage everyone to view as they are very Irish in nature and came out wonderfully! His arms are the first I’ve done with the persons name alongside the arms in ‘Modern Germanic Gothic’ Script. While I am a good heraldic artist - I hope that is not too boastful or arrogant - I am lacking in the script department in my own honest opinion. So, I’ve undertaken some writing exercises in several different script styles to improve upon that.

Anyway I hope both men like them, as do you all, feel free to comment on them as you see fit. Constructive criticism is the only way an artist can improve. However, these arms are already in existence and I merely created my version of them, so questioning the design itself wouldn’t get us anywhere - besides I rather like both arms very much. But please feel free to comment on my ability to render them good or bad.

The one thing I am most disappointed in here is that either my scanner or the services at Image Shack are not able to pick up either the highlighting or shading I employed. Oh well…it is there…

Slán.

P.S. LOL…here editing, as the arms I posted for Mike are the one’s that had some bleed through and not the ones I corrected that problem with…LOL…I will replace them with the correct ones ASAP. LOL. OK…all better now.

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

06 September 2006 16:55

I like your interpretation and also the lettering, it all looks very good. Well done smile

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

06 September 2006 18:50

Ton,

Nice job on Denny’s emblazon!  Do you have a gallery showing other examples of your art?

—Guy

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

06 September 2006 23:37

Great job!  If you need space for webhosting I’ve got plenty of room on my heraldryweb.com server.  PM me if you need it for your gallery.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

07 September 2006 00:07

Glad you like them Ton. Can you see the shadows and highlighting on the one I sent via email? Thanks again on mine. Very nice job indeed! And yes, being in the company of Eamon "The Long Fella" de Valera is awesome! Thanks again. smile

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

07 September 2006 00:09

Guy, he did do a great job didn’t he?! I love how “Irish” it looks. I even like the lighter shade of blue. He did a great job. I’d recommend his services to anyone.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

07 September 2006 00:10

T.R. I’ll PM you. Thanks. Glad you like them.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

07 September 2006 00:14

I really have to say again that I wish I could’ve done better on the Rye of Mike’s arms. Those things were the hardest dang things I’ve had to draw for some time! I think it is because it is a simple charge. I don’t know for sure though. Anyway I know Mike appreciates them, as he told me so via email before he left, but I really, really, really, whish I could’ve nailed them better!!! This, by the way was the fifth draft of the arms - that’s the first time I’ve ever had that problem with any of my art! LOL. So, naturally I am very keen on those particular charges - it is not often that I feel a subject gets the better of me (sometimes this happens in photographing Mother Nature) and these ones did! LOL. I may just tackle them again in a year or so…kind of like a boxing re-match…oh man those things…too fun.

emrys

emrys
Joined  08-04-2006

07 September 2006 03:17

Ton,

Nice job on Denny’s emblazon! Do you have a gallery showing other examples of your art?

Guy,

No unfortunately not, but you can see my avatar full size at :

http://www.amateurheralds.org/armorial/witte.html

and if you wish I will paint my version of your arms.

I even like the lighter shade of blue.

That is because of the scanner, in the painting the blue is somewhat darker, haven’t figured out how to compensate that.

emrys

emrys
Joined  08-04-2006

07 September 2006 03:21

Those things were the hardest dang things I’ve had to draw for some time! I think it is because it is a simple charge. I don’t know for sure though.

You will find that it is always difficult if you have to draw 3 or more of the same charges, this is because at that stage you really begin to notice if they are not the same size and form. wink

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

07 September 2006 19:31

For those that are interested, you can see both Ton’s version, and Donnchadh’s version of my arms HERE. There are also some other representations of my arms on the page.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

07 September 2006 21:31

Nice site Dave. Great arms. All of them. Very nice indeed. smile

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

08 September 2006 08:39

Thanks, Dave! I love how different artists bring their own ‘eye’ and style to the blazon in rendition. Each one the same yet each one very different!

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

08 September 2006 11:46

Thanks, Dennis, for the great work!  I know you were tortured by the rye layout (I was, too).  I could have gone easy on heraldic artists by picking something simpler, like interlaced japanese dragons. :p The design was was my form of heraldic usurpation protection!

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/MemberArmPages/membersarms.php?page=Swanson

[ATTACH]65[/ATTACH]

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

08 September 2006 12:00

You’re welcome Mike and thanks. Yeah I was tortured by them, but I think that is why I have come to love them. It is not often that a subject gets the better of me and as these did (usually photo subjects in Mother Nature) I am totally in awe of them - ha, ha.

The framework looks great Mike. The frame reminds me of the woodwork of a lounge – very smart, calming and timeless. Not toot fancy and fluffy; very nice.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

08 September 2006 12:01

Patrick I totally agree. That is why I recommend everyone take a look at Ton de Witte’s version of my arms on my member’s page. I love the various styles that different artists employ. To me anyway this helps keep heraldry fresh and vibrant for it is like seeing them anew every time you see them from a different artist.