McCarthy Book on Ecclesiastical Heraldry

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

08 September 2006 17:08

Recently a lecture on Catholic heraldry was given in New York by Michael McCarthy, the proprietor of Thylacine Press and the author of several great books on ecclesiastical heraldry including his most recent Manual of Ecclesiastical Heraldry.

So far his book has only been available direct from Thylacine Press in Australia which means you’ve had to pay for the book and the shipping. At present no U.S. outlet sells the book. However, Michael had several copies on hand to sell after his lecture and he did not sell them out. That means that you can purchase the book and save a little money. There are about 10 copies or so which he left with me. You would still contact him directly at Thylacine Press http://www.homepages.ihug.com.au/~thylacinepress/ in order to purchase the book. Until supplies run out for any book purchased by a resident of the United States Michael will simply contact me and have me mail the book to you. So, the book is still full price but you’d pay no shipping.

For anyone who does not yet have this book, it is worth having

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

08 September 2006 17:13

Good Father, I don’t know much about this author and his works. Do you recommend his book on this subject? It is one I am sorely lacking in reference material in. If so I think I’m buying one, well as long as I can afford it – I don’t know the price yet, as I can’t seem to get a hold of a good copy of any of Heims… let me know ASAP. Thanks good Father.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

08 September 2006 17:36

Donnchadh wrote:

Good Father, I don’t know much about this author and his works. Do you recommend his book on this subject? It is one I am sorely lacking in reference material in. If so I think I’m buying one, well as long as I can afford it – I don’t know the price yet, as I can’t seem to get a hold of a good copy of any of Heims… let me know ASAP. Thanks good Father.

AU$150 = US$113.92

Quote:

Actual achievements used by bishops, past and present, the good, the bad and the ugly

—Guy

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

06 October 2006 11:10

My review of McCarthy’s book appeared this week in "The Catholic Weekly" a publication of the Archdiocese of Sydney, Australia. I only mention it because it mentions the AHS. At the end of the article I am described as the VP of the AHS (as I still was at the time I wrote the review).

http://www.catholicweekly.com.au/article.php?classID=3&subclassID=20&articleID=2386&class=Features&subclass=Books

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

06 October 2006 11:26

Nice review. I bet it is as nice a book as you say. If I were not a student again and therefore my funds being so limited I’d buy the book. Maybe when school is all done. smile

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 October 2006 15:32

Seb Nelson brought a copy of McCarthy’s book to our last get-together in Mountain View CA.  A very nice volume indeed!

IMO you can tell a good heraldic artist (well, one good clue anyway) by their ability to make even the ugly ducklings look somewhat swan-like.  He succeeds quite well.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

08 October 2006 09:12

I recived my copy of this book and with the exception of some misspelled names I liked the book. For example the name of the bishop of Lund in the Church of Sweden is given as Christina Oldenburg. Her real name should be Odenberg, she will by the way retire next year and the process of electing a new bishop is under way. The Group on Church Heraldry of the Swedish Heraldry Society of which I’am a member have begun a process to create arms for the new bishop.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

08 December 2006 11:50

It does not yet appear on the Thylacine Press website but today in the mail I received some advertisements for two new books by Michael McCarthy. One is entitled Armoria Pontificalium: A Roll of Papal Arms 1012-2006. I recall having seen some of this book in an advance form the last time I visited with Mr. McCarthy. It looks fantastic. Anyone who has any of his other works will know how good the quality of his publications are.

This one includes the blazons of the arms with illustrations of actual examples of their arms taken from manuscripts, artwork, monuments, etc. It also includes a color version of the Roll of Arms from the Annuario Pontificio. The book includes the Strohl Wappenrolle in its entirety as well as the author’s own rendition of the roll of papal arms.

The book is for sale at $88.00 including postage.

The other book is a bit of a departure in that it is not about ecclesiastical heraldry and is really only about heraldry insofar as it concerns one of the great heraldic beasts. It is entitled Dragonkind. This one is for sale at $44.00.

Even though the website does not yet mention them I’m sure you could order them through the website simply by asking for them by name. The books will be publish in April, 2007. Thylacine Press can be found at http://www.homepages.ihug.com.au/~thylacinepress/