Motto’s

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

19 September 2006 00:03

How does (did) everyone pick a motto. I have no idea where to even begin with this.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

19 September 2006 00:18

For me… I use the one above my shield that is the same as my dad’s and uncle’s. Saoirse is Freedom in Irish and freedom is very important to the history of our family and is even why so many have served in the armed services over the centuries.

I chose a more personal one below my arms however. Now at first I used the playful Tá mo fhuil uasal, which is Irish for ‘My blood is noble’. I did this because the Irish are apt, with a slight historical basis, but more in play, to call themselves sons of kings etc. So, it was simply a playful one.

However, I came to realize that I really needed one that is more a part of me. And ironically it is one often said by the Irish. So I changed Tá mo fhuil uasal (my blood is noble) to ‘Bíodh sé mar sin’, which is Irish for ‘So be it’.

I read in several places, on British heraldry anyway, that mottos are not always the same with an armiger during his lifetime. So, I had no problem changing it so quickly. The one I won’t ever change is the one above my achievement.

In the end I chose one that was both playful – important to me – and something I always say.

That’s how I came upon mine.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

19 September 2006 01:07

Speaking only for myself, I’d say that if one has not emerged within your life that you ponder on occasion withinyourself, don’t use one.  It would be somewhat artificial.  Maybe later in life an event will come along which will provide you with one.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

19 September 2006 02:16

I found something that I like to use for a motto: sapientiam debere praeire, fortitudinem sequi "Wisdom should come first, fortitude to follow".  It comes from Alexander Nisbet’s System of Heraldry in the section on Griffins.

I found it when I was looking for elements to include in my achievement and it struck me as significant. I’ve carried it around for a while now…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 September 2006 08:56

Donnchadh wrote:

I read in several places, on British heraldry anyway, that mottos are not always the same with an armiger during his lifetime.

Make that English, not British.  In Scotland, the motto is part of the grant or matriculation and cannot be changed without going back to Lord Lyon.  The Scottish motto is ideally supposed to "answer" the motto of the chief.  For example, if the chief’s motto is, say, Latin for "I will never forget," a clansman’s motto might be "I have not forgotten," "Never forgetful," or (the old ex-Confederate slogan), "Forget, hell!"

I totally ignored this principle in adopting my own motto.  The MacMillan motto is "Miseris succurrere disco," meaning "I learn to comfort those in distress."  Since the crest (which in Scottish armory is right next to the motto scroll) shows two hands brandishing a Highland broadsword, it always seemed that this was probably not the kind of comfort the distressed were really in need of, so I went in a different direction entirely.

Anyway, as Dennis suggests, picking a motto (unlike designing the arms themselves) is not a life decision—unless you live in Scotland.

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

19 September 2006 10:25

My motto was taken from the opening words of my Grand-8-father’s will. (who was our immigrant ancestor) "They that are in the Lord are happy Indeed." A Steuart family in Scotland had "Stat Felix Amico Domino" which is darn close, so I changed it to "Stat Fortunatus Amico Domino," which differentiates it, while using a synonym of happy which does not remind one of the cartoon feline, & while also including the letters S-T-U-A-R-T within it.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

19 September 2006 11:20

We’ve been able to trace the majority of my ancestors back to the original 13 colonies in the late 1600’s, early 17’s. Most of them appear to have been farmers of common birth, but many of them rose to become shapers of their communities and well respected ‘gentry’, as it were, and/or officers in the colonial army of the revolution. Most of them were also known to be Freemasons, as am I, and one Masonic adage is to regard all men for their inner character, not their outward appearance.

The character and probable nationality of these early ancestors and my life-long (well, generations-long) association with Masonry shaped my motto.

"Bonnedd ydy i mewn ‘r asgre" is Welsh and translates "Nobility is in the heart."

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

19 September 2006 11:53

Patrick,

OT:  In your research, have you found any indication about typical social status of freemasons in the early 19th century?  My sense is that, despite the ideals, it would be most unlikely for a man of no substance to be invited or admitted to a lodge.  Is that also your understanding?

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

19 September 2006 12:20

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Patrick,

OT:  In your research, have you found any indication about typical social status of freemasons in the early 19th century?  My sense is that, despite the ideals, it would be most unlikely for a man of no substance to be invited or admitted to a lodge.  Is that also your understanding?

Quite the opposite indeed.  It is one of the Freemason’s oldest traditions that they do not ask or invite members nor recruit in any fashion.  You have to ask, and come to them of your own free will….. Or at least that is the story I was given by the history books.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

19 September 2006 12:42

I understand that’s the theory.  In theory, a poor sharecropper could also be a member of the local Episcopal church.  In practice, he generally wasn’t.  It’s the practice that interests me.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

01 October 2006 23:45

Hmm i was wondering if anyone likes "Knowledge from observation, Wisdom through patience"

and if people like this, Is there anyone who is any good at latin thast can translate that for me?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

02 October 2006 00:55

I like it. I think your best bet is either of the good Fathers Guy or Archer for a proper Latin translation (I believe both are Latin Mass priests, so they should be familiar with it). I’m sure there are others (I vaguely remember a conversation about this on the old MB, but I can’t remember who…)

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

02 October 2006 10:27

Joseph McMillan wrote:

I understand that’s the theory.  In theory, a poor sharecropper could also be a member of the local Episcopal church.  In practice, he generally wasn’t.  It’s the practice that interests me.

Hey, Joseph…I don’t know how I managed to miss this thread, but I did. Freemasonry literally evolved from the stonemason’s guilds of medieval England, and so, even the most humble of working class blokes have been welcome as members. We do, indeed, have a policy of equality while in the lodge and so the Kings of England have sat in lodge with mechanics and during that brief respite from the outseide world have been equals. It may have been Pepys, but some famous English writer described how interesting it felt to deal with his gardener (who was also a member of his lodge) as an equal during meetings, but as a servant at other times. This has always been the case in England, the home of freemasonry, since the fraternity stopped being a labor union and started being an open fraternity.

In the USA, however, things have been different. By the end of the 19th century more than 80% of the members of congress were Masons and while anyone could find a lodge that would accept them, there were lodges that one had to be of substance and power to belong.

So the answer to your question is: in the early 19th century, as today, social status did not enter into membership. Freemasonry was (and is) a hotbed of egalitarianism. However, at certain times during Masonry’s history in the US there have been factions within Freemasonry that did not practice that egalitarianism. I could go on, but I think that answers your question.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

02 October 2006 10:28

Colin, I like your motto, too.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

02 October 2006 10:46

ESmith wrote:

Quite the opposite indeed.  It is one of the Freemason’s oldest traditions that they do not ask or invite members nor recruit in any fashion.  You have to ask, and come to them of your own free will….. Or at least that is the story I was given by the history books.

Everett, that is correct, for the most part. Things are changing a bit today in certain Masonic jurisdictions, but overall that is, and has been, the policy.

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

02 October 2006 13:25

http://www.latin.fsbusiness.co.uk/

will translate a motto into correct Latin for twenty dollars.

I have used them to double check my motto.

They are very knowledgable, personable and efficient.