My wife’s arms

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

17 September 2006 15:58

Guy Power wrote:

???  A helmet facing sinister is in profile.  The one you currently have is affrontee—facing frontally.

I need another cuppa coffee!  smile

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

19 September 2006 00:00

Ok going to try and Blazon this:

Per chevron Purpure and Argent in chief a falcon argent beaked and armed Or between two hearts Argent with two bendwise ermines Sable. In base an oak tree proper.

(pretty sure i messed up the heart and ermine combo description, just don’t know a better description though)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

19 September 2006 00:26

Arms: Per chevron Purpure and Argent, in chief between two hearts Argent, charged with two ermine tails in bend a falcon close Argent, armed and legged (1) Or, in base an oak tree eradicated Proper.

Crest: A demi Pegasus (2) Purpure.

Now (1) I’m not sure if legged is correct and (2) does Pegasus have to have the position of the wings displayed?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

19 September 2006 00:54

I guess i should say the legs will be Or and the claw sable, just didn’t post it.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

19 September 2006 11:43

Colin…the talons will disappear on the purple if you make them black. Just go with gold. Denny’s version of the blazon is pretty good, I think. As to the wings of the Pegasus, after digging through my books (most of which just describe a Pegasus) I found one mention of "a Pegasus salient", so I suppose, jsut to be careful one might choose to describe the position of the wings.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 September 2006 11:50

Donnchadh wrote:

Arms: Per chevron Purpure and Argent, in chief between two hearts Argent, charged with two ermine tails in bend a falcon close Argent, armed and legged (1) Or, in base an oak tree eradicated Proper.

Crest: A demi Pegasus (2) Purpure.

Now (1) I’m not sure if legged is correct and (2) does Pegasus have to have the position of the wings displayed?

I think that the term "armed" with respect to birds of prey covers both the beak and the legs and claws.  Other birds are "beaked and membered," so if the legs have to be described separately, I guess it would be "membered Or."  But IMO "Argent armed Or" should suffice.

I think the blazon would be clearer re the hearts if it said "two hearts Argent each charged with two ermine spots in bend Sable."

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

19 September 2006 19:31

Joseph McMillan wrote:

I think that the term "armed" with respect to birds of prey covers both the beak and the legs and claws. Other birds are "beaked and membered," so if the legs have to be described separately, I guess it would be "membered Or." But IMO "Argent armed Or" should suffice.

According to Parker:

Quote:

Armed, (fr. armé): when any beast of prey has teeth and claws, or any beast of chase(except stags, &c.) horns and hoofs, or any bird of prey beak and talons, of a tincture different from its body, it is said to be armed of such a tincture, though, as regards hoofs, hoofed, or unguled(fr. onglé), is the more accurate term. The lion is usually langued of the same tincture. The application to beasts and birds of prey is because their talons are to them weapons of defence.

And…

Quote:

Membered, (fr. membré): refers to the legs of birds argent, and to the talons and tongues of beasts of prey.

So, if I understand correctly, Joe’s blazon of "Argent armed Or" would be correct.

BTW, nice arms.

Take care,

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

21 September 2006 00:56
Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

21 September 2006 11:01

Nice. Interesting that you would use Tenne and she would choose Purpure-two colors that aren’t used all that often (particularly as main color choices). Very nice stuff.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

21 September 2006 12:01

Patrick Williams wrote:

Nice. Interesting that you would use Tenne and she would choose Purpure-two colors that aren’t used all that often (particularly as main color choices). Very nice stuff.

What can I say, we’re oddballs :wookie:

Thanks

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Joined  29-07-2006

21 September 2006 15:49

Oddballs are a good thing!