Coochie-Coochie-Coup!

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

21 September 2006 09:48

Photo from today’s NY Times showing the new ruling junta after the coup in Thailand. Note the distinctive heraldic emblem behind them.

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/206490.jpg

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

21 September 2006 13:07

Fr. Guy,

I’ll figure it out.  It’s not HM’s royal "crest" as you can see here (on link, select the "English Version" link at top) kanchanapisek.or.th/knowledge/6cycle.th.htm

http://kanchanapisek.or.th/images/knowledge/royal-crest.gif
Quote:

(1) His Majesty the King’s initials - the Thai letters Phor Por Ror - placed at the centre of the crest, under the Royal Crown and above the Royal Throne of the Eight Compass Points, signify that His Majesty is the focus of the entire nation, binding the people’s hearts and loyalty. The yellow colour of the letters is the colour of His Majesty’s day of birth, and the blue colour of the background that of the monarchy. The surrounding discus (Chakra) with the Thai numeral 9 means that King Bhumibol Adulyadej is the ninth monarch of the Chakri Dynasty. The crest is flanked by two seven-tiered umbrellas and topped by a nine-tiered umbrella, both types symbols of kingship.

(2) The four-point border represents the four regions of the country, in which the people live in peace and tranquility under the King’s supreme protection, as expressed by the green colour, which is a symbol of peace and abundance. Each of the four points of the border has a lotus, an offering to His Majesty on the occasion of his Sixth-Cycle birthday Anniversary.

(3) The golden rays around the crest signify His Majesty’s grace and benevolence, which pervade the Kingdom and beyond and bring pride and joy to the people in the entire land.

(4) Beneath the crest a blue silk banner bears the inscription of the Royal Occasion of His Majesty’s Sixth-Cycle birthday Anniversary on 5 December 1999.

When my father was advisor to HM’s Royal Bodyguard, he wore the Royal Cypher (1) above his left uniform pocket.  It was a gold cut-out pin about 1-inch in diameter.

========

Likewise, it is not the Royal Coat of Arms, although it incorporates some elements such as the triple crown with golden rays, and the "squiggle" which means "supreme" if I recall correctly:

http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/1701/kingkns.gif

=========

Where is our Thai attorney, Edward Ploysongsang, when we need him???

Cheers,

Guy

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

21 September 2006 14:34

Guy,

I don’t think the image you posted as a crest is in regular use. As you have noted it is only a special symbol devised for the Sixth Cycle Birthday Anniversary Celebration. The website says

The official emblem was selected in a contest held by the Fine Arts Department and the Ministry of Education. The winning design was the creation of Mr. Niran Kraisornrat, a lecturer at the Rajamangala Institute of Technology, Pho Chang Campus. The design won the royal approval as the official emblem for the occasion.

and

Organizations and households all over the Kingdom are invited to display the official emblem of the Sixth Cycle Birthday Anniversary of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej throughout 1999. (emphases added)

I’m under the impression the image in the photo is in more regular use whereas this other image was devised for an occasion that has already passed.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

21 September 2006 19:12

gselvester wrote:

Guy,

I don’t think the image you posted as a crest is in regular use. As you have noted it is only a special symbol devised for the Sixth Cycle Birthday Anniversary Celebration. .....I’m under the impression the image in the photo is in more regular use whereas this other image was devised for an occasion that has already passed.

Fr. Guy,

You’re absolutely correct.  Thanks for gently waking me up.  smile

—Guy

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

22 September 2006 02:51

does the king have a western coat of arms like the emperor of japan?

Sunil Saigal

Sunil Saigal
Total Posts:  49
Joined  27-09-2005

22 September 2006 06:00

I think the emblem in the photo might be that of the Supreme Commander of the Royal Thai Armed Forces (who is not the King - the King, I believe, has a different title in relation to the armed forces, which describes an even more elevated position than "Supreme" (!), although the exact title escapes me for the moment), or of the Army as a whole.  From my own work in Thailand some years ago, I seem to remember an emblem similar to the one in the photo.

I do not believe, in any case, that it is an emblem pertaining to the person of the H.M. King.  Alone the absence of the multi-tiered umbrella, which would normally appear,with varying numbers of tiers, in connection with personal emblems of members of the Royal Family, is an indication.  Also, the "squiggle" which appears immediately under the crown, would normally appear in the centre of the Royal Arms as such, as shown in the second illustration in Goy Power’s message.  The general appearance of the emblem tells me that it is that of an state instution, or an institution under the Crown, if you will.  The "Chakra" (bladed discus), which is really a weapon, tells me that this is a military institution, which would appear logic given the context.  My guess is therefore either the Supreme Commander or the Army as such.

In answer to Donnchadh’s question, I do not believe that H.M. the King of Thailand uses a traditional western coat of arms.  I know that he has, in certain contexts, used the centre (blue oval) "shield" of the Royal Arms, as shown in Guy Powers’ posting, alone without the external additaments.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

22 September 2006 14:11

Sunil,

Many thanks for your hint. You are correct, the plaque above the conference table is that of the Royal Thai Army.

http://www.rta.mi.th/images/topArmy_01.gif

http://www.rta.mi.th/images/topArmy_06.gif

Source: http://www.rta.mi.th/

As Sunil says, the centerpiece is a Chakra—a throwing disk reminiscent of a circular saw-blade.

And here is a link to a large image of the 60th Jubilee "crest".  There are only 37 brilliants surrounding the Paw-Pah-Rah "cypher"—I thought there’d be 60.

—Guy