Does that make sense?

Yes Thanks

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

19 September 2006 13:54

ESmith wrote:

Elephants aside, I think this turned out very nicely.  I think moving the atom (lithium?) off the shield and onto the crest was a good idea and it worked out beautifully.  I think this is our first poster to use tenne extensivly in their arms it looks good.

Technically it would be lithium, since it has 3 electrons.

You don’t like the elephant?

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

19 September 2006 19:14

Colin,

I must say that I would have never imagined that your choice in charges or tinctures would have ever come together so agreeably.  Excellent job on both shield and crest.  I really like it.  :D

Take care,

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

19 September 2006 20:27

Linusboarder wrote:

You don’t like the elephant?

No no, I like the elephant, it works well… I was refering to the King Babar discussion…

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

20 September 2006 00:47

ESmith wrote:

No no, I like the elephant, it works well… I was refering to the King Babar discussion…

Oh ok lol smile

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

22 September 2006 10:55

fixed the helm to face forward.:

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/a124c2f07e.png

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 September 2006 11:23

Better…now take a look at the relative proportions of the shield vs. the crest and helm, as shown in the members’ arms section.  Good examples of the right proportions are the arms of Berntsen, Hardin, Kingman-Sugars, Pritchett, and Vernot.  (Not to say the others are all badly proportioned, just a handful of examples.)

Typically the crest and helm combined should be about the same height as the shield.  Some artists prefer the helm and crest combined to be maybe 10-15% taller than the shield, some prefer them to be maybe 10-15% shorter.  Different sources—and different national artistic traditions—prescribe different ratios.  But the general idea is that the same person should be able to wear the helm and carry the shield.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 September 2006 11:24

Another thought:  The mantling is originally a covering for the helmet.  It should be attached to the helmet below the crest—it doesn’t just lie behind the helmet and crest, as you have it shown in your picture.  Again, refer to the members arms gallery for some good examples.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

22 September 2006 11:36

Following up on Joe’s recommendation regarding proportions, here is the Finnish society’s guideline:

http://www.heraldica.fi/Vaakuna/Vaakunan_osat/osat.htm

http://www.heraldica.fi/Vaakuna/Vaakunan_osat/Kuvat/osat.gif

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

22 September 2006 12:57

Colin,

If you borrow the example of the crest that Mike just provided, you could substitute the fleurs de lys with your atom/lithium.

—Guy

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

22 September 2006 15:51

I think Guy is suggesting showing two atoms, one on each wing, rather than just one atom between the wings.  Personally I think this would be an improvement for two reasons:  1) less cramped—allows for fuller, IMO better-proportioned wings, & 2) the atom, while IMO a perfectly fine charge in modern heraldry, doesn’t show up all that well against a white background (between the wings); it (or they) should show better as gold or silver on the red wings—but you should confirm or deny with a refrigerator test.

Also IIRC (too lazy to scroll back smile there was some reason you originally wanted two atoms on the bend or bendlet, & this approach gives you both.

Having said which, there is absolutely nothing inappropriate or inauthentic about one charge between two wings—its a batter of taste & personal choice.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

22 September 2006 16:26

Ok made some fixes to the crest/helm proportions.  (The wings are orange, not red BTW Michael)

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/9472fc88ec.png

I am having the most difficulty with the mantling. I am having a difficult time making it look like it’s attached to the back of the hlem, not just sitting behind it.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

22 September 2006 17:30

Quote:

I am having the most difficulty with the mantling. I am having a difficult time making it look like it’s attached to the back of the hlem, not just sitting behind it.

I can give you an artist’s perspective if you’d like. There are two things right away that will give it the look you want.

One, try and angle the helm downward just a wee little bit; normally I’d say angle the top of the helm down a wee bit, but I don’t know if you can make a computer do that in this case?

Two, place the beginnings of the mantle - from the front facing point of view - slightly over the top edges of the helmet; beginning to fall down from at least the inside line of the first and last knot of the wreath (ref the example Mike gave you above).

These two things will make it appear to be coming from the wreath on top of the helmet instead of from behind the helmet. I don’t know if you can do that with a computer or not - sadly not my thing really - but when I am creating them by hand this is the main technique I use for an afrontee helmet to make it appear to come from the wreath instead of behind the helmet.

If you can’t make the computer do it just leave it as is and know that when you go through an artist you will see that he/she will probably do this as a matter of fact otherwise it looks too flat.

It is easier with a side facing helmet, but in your case I would not use a side facing helmet because of the crest itself. So, if your wife wants one try to use one that faces to the side and then you can use a side facing helmet…

Again nice job overall Colin. smile

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

23 September 2006 15:08

Ok I went back and looked at the original art i pulled the mantling from, and found out i was using it a little wrong, so how does it look now?

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/06e87abac8.png