Springettsbury Township, York County, PA

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

02 September 2006 20:48

My wife and I had to drive up to York, PA, today, and while we were coming back I noticed a rather nice looking set of arms on the "Welcome to Springettsbury Township" sign. So I looked them up on-line and found this:

Quarterly, 1st and 4th Argent on a fess Sable three plates (Penn); 2nd and 3rd, Per fess wavy Argent and Gules a fess wavy between three crescents counterchanged.

Crest: A demi-lion Argent gorged with a collar Sable charged with three plates.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/springettsbury.jpg

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

03 September 2006 01:31

Very Pennsylvania-ish.  Reminded me of the State CoA and the Arms of Calisle right off. The Carlisle arms are, shall we say more deveoped, and have supporters.  Probably the shape of the shield.  Was attached to the War College for 2 years and found Carlisle a wonderful community in which to live.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

27 September 2006 11:07

st_louis_herald wrote:

Very Pennsylvania-ish.  Reminded me of the State CoA and the Arms of Calisle right off. The Carlisle arms are, shall we say more deveoped, and have supporters.  Probably the shape of the shield.  Was attached to the War College for 2 years and found Carlisle a wonderful community in which to live.

I’ve spent a good deal of time there (Carlisle).  Very beautiful town if one doesn’t mind constant rain resulting in flooding.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 September 2006 17:13

My father’s family was from Carlisle, from at least the 1790’s, before my great-grandfather moved to Kentucky a little before the Civil War.  It is a beautiful town.  Does anyone have an image of the town’s arms they could post?