Hauszeichen

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

27 October 2006 13:29

Ben Foster wrote:

Denny:

My arms are still a work in progress.  I feel that they are already very busy given the nature of the quartering, and the double crests.  I am considering using only the oldest Forster/Foster crest:  a stag’s head at gaze, erased proper, attired or.  This would allude to both families, in a way, because my great great grandfather Deppler was a Jagermeister for the Kingdom of Wurttemberg.  What do you think?

I am a member of a small hunting lodge, and I am using its arms as a "placeholder" for the time being.

Can we see what you have so far?  Or is that already been discussed some where while I was sleeping

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

27 October 2006 14:24

ESmith wrote:

Can we see what you have so far?  Or is that already been discussed some where while I was sleeping

Check out this post.

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/forums/showthread.php?t=1979&page=2

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

27 October 2006 19:03

***OT***

My bad Ben. I assumed they were close to being done given the previous talk on them. My bad. Now where do I find that red in the face emoticon… wink

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

28 October 2006 00:25

Donnchadh wrote:

***OT***

My bad Ben. I assumed they were close to being done given the previous talk on them. My bad. Now where do I find that red in the face emoticon… smile  I am very happy with all the input I have received.  To be honest, I almost hate for them to be nearly finished, because the process is so enjoyable.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

30 October 2006 12:53

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

Seems your arms are a bit like Shakespeare’s plays—the old boy would faint with amazement to hear a college professor "reveal" the hidden meanings etc.

Wasn’t that an Asimov short story?  A physics prof builds a time machine, brings back Shakespeare, who enrolls in a college class on his works and fails?

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

01 November 2006 12:36

If Isaac A. didn’t write that story, he should have!

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

01 November 2006 19:26

Thank you for the compliment.  I do not know the origin of this hausmark.

At one time some cousins did a study of the descendents of the original Wenzl

ancestor.  He did not have a coat of arms or at least nothing on stationary of a painting.  He did not seem to use the hausmark.  But some later descendents appeared to be using this mark as a brand in the late 1880’s to the early 1890’s.  They never registered the brand and this strikes me as being rather odd given the importance of the brand on the frontier.  A distant cousin who died at the age of 100 said she remembered the brand, but there is no recorded use of it after 1900.  I just borrowed it for my CoA.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

01 November 2006 19:44

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

If Isaac A. didn’t write that story, he should have!

My memory has not failed me (yet, at least in this case):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortal_Bard