Heraldry alive and well

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

23 October 2006 22:20

Joseph,

Welcome to the AHS! :-D Nice looking arms…simple, yet distinctive. Great use of heraldry, too. I love the pic of your daughter with sword and shield. :cool: It really makes me want to go out to the shop and make a plywood and paint version of my own arms. Very cool!

Take care,

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

23 October 2006 22:44

Welcome Joseph!  Is there any explaination to go along with that beautiful achievement?

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

23 October 2006 23:24

Andrew J Vidal wrote:

Welcome Joseph!  Is there any explaination to go along with that beautiful achievement?

Yes, indeed.

When I first discovered heraldry, by picking up a copy of Iain Moncrieffe’s *Simple Heraldry* in my junior high school library, I was struck by how some of the most beautiful arms were also the simplest.  When it came time to design my own, I imagined something easy to draw (I’m no artist), easy to see, easy to difference, and in keeping with the traditions I respected most: medieval usage, elegance, and boldness.

I chose blue and black because they are the colors of the changing sky.  I chose dancetty because I like the design and, after all, life’s a dance, right?  The grizzly in the crest references my home state of California and my high school nickname.  Plus, I really enjoy bear symbology across cultures.  The chain represents life’s adversity, and the honeycomb life’s sweetness.  These are reflected in the motto: “I ‘bear’ joy and sorrow.”

Joseph

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

24 October 2006 02:00

Joseph Staub wrote:

http://static.flickr.com/117/277804469_af1b8893d2_o.jpg

There is no way the brigands will capture that particular tennis court!

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Joined  26-08-2006

24 October 2006 07:14

True, Mark.  There were indeed many a "court" throughout history that could have used such staunch defenders!

Joseph

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

24 October 2006 12:18

Joseph’s design is a useful reminder that, with thought & imagination, it is still possible to come up with new arms that are simple/clean/uncomplicated & still utterly unique.  Good job!

(also cute kid!  Guy P, if you still have it, could you post a certaIn photo from Mario’s showing my kid with your arms?)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

24 October 2006 12:50

this is nice!

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

24 October 2006 15:04

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

...Guy P, if you still have it, could you post a certaIn photo from Mario’s showing my kid with your arms?)

Sorry Mike—I can’t find the image.  If you still have it, send it to me and I’ll save it as a url and post it.

========

Joseph Staub: Your daughter certainly reminds me of someone wink</a>

You have a lovely young shieldmaiden, there, Joseph!

—Guy

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Joined  26-08-2006

28 October 2006 22:17

Guy,

She described the photoshopped pics as: "Awesome!"

Here’s her shield and mine. We were resting, and warriors NEVER put their shields on the ground.

Blazon hers if you can!

http://static.flickr.com/118/281823644_3798ceff31.jpg

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

10 November 2006 03:13

Joseph,

As a member of the Azure-Sable-Argent club, I congratulate you for such a nice design !

By the way, you proved that it was still possible to create simple coat of arms without usurpation.

It recalls me the time when I was in the process of creating my own CoA : I had decided it would be a "one-charge-only" shield !

Welcome to the Society !

Nicolas

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Joined  26-08-2006

11 November 2006 18:35

Thanks, Nicolas,

I certainly hope it is without usurpation.  I was lucky, most of my designs are nowhere near that good!

My banner hangs in my home, and my daughter is anxious for the day she can design a similar one for herself. I have told her she will know the right time: when she has accomplished a goal she sets for herself.

Joseph