Landgraves of Carolina

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

15 November 2006 21:12

Thiere may of course be contrary opinions, but IMO the most that an American heir of one of these titles could fairly say is that he is the heir, or a descendant, etc., of Landgrave Such-&-such.  The arms, however, IMO would continue since in the Ameruican context they are no longer (and cannot be) "tied" to the title.  It would IMO be debatable whether or not they should still be borne on the face of the sun by the modern descendant—I would think not—but could still be displayed in that form if identified as "the arms of my ancestor, Landgrave So-&-so…"

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

16 November 2006 01:23

Joseph wrote:

Quote:

There are two reasons I believed the titles lapsed:

1. I think that when the political entity under which the titles were established ceased to exist, the titles also ceased to exist. I think an argument could be made that such was the case when the proprietary charter was surrendered, but it would probably be necessary to see the documents by which the Crown took over the colonies (excluding the Granville portion of NC).

I’m not sure, but I do not believe this would be true unless the documents specifically called for this to happen.  There are numerous instances in International Law of titles which exist even though the political entity no longer exists.  The Holy Roman Empire and the French monarchy are two notable examples.  However, this raises the often-debated question of what meaning such a title has, if there are no accompanying privileges, and if, in fact, there is any substance to a title without powers.

The creating entity was ultimately the English monarchy, I think, and this entity had the power to undo what it did.

It seems clear from the Fundamental Constitution, however, that these titles were basically feudal, and so the title would only exist in connection with the land.

Quote:

2. If the titles survived the transition, they could, it seems to me, only be borne so long as the landgrave or cassique continued to abide by the terms under which they were granted.

[snip]

I would contend that the moment one of the landgraves or cassiques sold an acre of one of the seignories or baronies attached to his title, the title disappeared, as he had violated the condition under which it was granted.

Might it not also be true that instead of voiding the title, the constitution just voided the sale, meaning that in terms of the letters patent, the landgrave’s proper heir still "owns" the barony?

Quote:

If there were any future in the study of feudal land law in the US, this might be a good topic for an LL.M. thesis.

A fascinating project, but as you say of limited value!

Michael F. McCartney wrote:
Quote:

It would IMO be debatable whether or not they should still be borne on the face of the sun by the modern descendant—I would think not—but could still be displayed in nhat form if identified as "the arms of my ancestor, Landgrave So-&-so…"

What about on a blue sun rather than a red one? wink

Kind regards,

/Charles

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

16 November 2006 11:11

Charles, you’ve spent too much time reading Innes!

snelson

snelson
Total Posts:  464
Joined  03-06-2005

16 November 2006 13:53

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

16 November 2006 14:08

snelson wrote:

Is this anything?

Cool!

Seb’s url wrote:

Map showing the location and boundaries of the barony called Winyaw Barnoy on the south side of Winyah Bay in South Carolina : granted 18th June, 1711, to Landgrave Robert Daniel for 12,000 acres and by him transferred on 19th June, 1711, to Landgrave Thomas Smith with sketch division lines and with some adjoining plantations and settlements

by Henry A M Smith

Looks like Landgrave Daniel was "King for a day".  I wonder if the entire 12,000 acres were passed to Landgrave Smith?

—Guy

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 November 2006 19:40

According to David Ramsay, Ramsay’s History of South Carolina:  From Its First Settlement in 1670 to the Year 1808 (Newberry, SC:  1858), p. 25:

"If the proprietary government had continued, the title, honours, emoluments and lands derived from this patent [the patent creating Thomas Smith a landgrave on 13 May 1691] would now be possessed by Thomas Smith, son of Henry, who is the lineal heir of the original Thomas Smith.  Such have been the changes which, in the course of a little more than a century, have taken place, that this is the only known instance in which any one of Mr. Locke’s Carolina nobility can trace back his pedigree to the original founder."

Ramsay’s statement "if the proprietary government had continued," suggests that the titles, honors, etc., did not survive the end of proprietary government.  I’m still looking to see what royal or other documents said in connection with the suppression of the Fundamental Constitutions that set up the system of nobility.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

16 November 2006 22:45

Joseph McMillan wrote:

...[the patent creating Thomas Smith a landgrave on 13 May 1691]

Aaaahhh ... I see now; Smith was a Landgrave before he received the 12,000 acres from Landgrave Daniels.

Joe wrote:

Ramsay’s statement "if the proprietary government had continued," suggests that the titles, honors, etc., did not survive the end of proprietary government.

Yes, it does begin to sound that way.  Oh well ... at least Mr. Smith (and his descendants) has (have) some interesting "bragging rights".

Joe wrote:

I’m still looking to see what royal or other documents said in connection with the suppression of the Fundamental Constitutions that set up the system of nobility.

Thanks for the scholarly research—your results will be well received regardless of legal outcome.

—Guy

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

17 November 2006 12:25

Try this site:

http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/jalmillerjr/heirs_of_hereditary_landgraves.htm

This is the website of The Heirs of Hereditary Landgraves and Cassiques Society of South Carolina.

I’m sure they could provide you with much more historical info.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

17 November 2006 12:47

Patrick Williams wrote:

...This is the website of The Heirs of Hereditary Landgraves and Cassiques Society of South Carolina.

I’m sure they could provide you with much more historical info.

I’d feel more confident in their ability to provide information IF any of the links worked.

—Guy

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

17 November 2006 15:52

Oh, sure, Guy, you want everything: a website with links that work. Lad-de-dah.

wink

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Total Posts:  55
Joined  31-10-2006

17 November 2006 16:39

I do not recall which one, nor understood the reason why; but one South Carolina Landgrave title was created by the King of England, not the Proprietors.  Some titles seemed to have been created and the document send from England; however somebody with authority (forget who) was sent to South Carolina with blank forms, and the seeming power to award them in the colony? Many Landgraves and Cassiques seem never to have arrived at their South Carolina Baronies, from England. Their descendants are more likely to be found in England, rather than in today’s United States. focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Joined  31-10-2006

17 November 2006 16:45

Several "archived" years of the defunct Landgraves website are available; but alas, I forget the link? focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Joined  31-10-2006

17 November 2006 18:15

Thomas Amy, Esq., Cassique, Created 1682

Gov. Edmund Andros, Landgrave, Created 1694

Gov. John Archdale, Landgrave, Created 1694

Christopher Arthur, Esq., Landgrave/Cassique?, Createdc1724, Cypress Barony

John Ashby, Esq., Cassique, Created 1682, Yadhaw Barony

Hon. Daniel Axtell, Sr., Landgrave, Created 1681

Hon. Holland Axtell, Landgrave, Created 1692

Lady Rebecca Pratt Axtel, Landgravine?, Newington Barony

John Bailey, Esq., Landgrave, Created 1682, Otter Barony

John Bayley, Esq., Landgrave/Cassique?, 16,200a Hilton Head Island* Barony

Atty-Gen & Surv-Gen Sir Edmund Bellinger, Sr., Landgrave, Created 1698, Tombodly & Ashepoo Baronies (master of Blake with 1st cattle to S.C.)

Edmund Bellinger, Jr, Esq., Landgrave, Inherited c1705

Sir Edmund Bellinger, III, Landgrave, Inherited 1739

Edmund Bellinger, IV, Landgrave, Inherited 1772

Joseph Bellinger, Landgrave, Inherited 1773

Thomas Bellinger, Landgrave, Inherited

Col. Edward Berkerley (fictional), Cassique, "Created" c1684, Kiawah (fictional) Barony

Daniel Blake, Esq., Landgrave?, Inherited? c1751

Gov. & Gen. Joseph Blake, Sr., Landgrave, Created 1696, Plainfield Barony

Col. Joseph Blake, Jr., Inherited c1700

Hon. James Carteret, Landgraved, Created 1670

Hon. John (Carteret?), Landgrave, Created c1718, Hobcaw Barony

Gov. James Colleton, Landgrave, Created 1670/71, Wadboo Barony

Sir John Colleton, Landgrave?, Devil’s Elbow Barony

Sir Peter Colleton, Landgrave, Fairlawn Barony

Hon. Thomas Colleton, Sr., Landgrave, Created 1681, Cypress Barony

Hon. William Craven, Landgrave & Cassique

Lawrence Cromp, Esq., Landgrave/Cassique?

DptyGov. Robert Daniell, Landgrave, Created c1711, Winyah Barony

Dr. Christopher Dominick, Cassique

John Ely, Esq., Landgrave?

John Ffoster, Esq.,Cassique, Created c1677/78

John Gibbs, Esq., Cassique, Created 1682

Hon. James Griffths, Landgrave, Created 1707, Port Royal Barony

Hon. ???? Griffiths, Landgrave, Inherited p1707 (father of James Griffiths)

Hon. William Hodgson, Landgrave & Cassique

John Hodgeson, Esq., Landgrave/Cassique?

Col. Samuel Horsey, Landgrave

Lady Mary Ketelby Johnston, Landgravine?, Inherited?

Gov. Robert Johnston, Landgrave?

Gov. Sir Nathaniel Johnson, Landgrave & Cassique, Created 1686

Edward Jewkes, Esq., Landgrave

Hon. Abel Ketelby, Sr., Lanbdgrave, Created 1708/09

Gov. Sir Richard Kyrle, Landgrave, Created 1684

Hon. John Locke, Landgrave, Created 1671

Gov. Philip Ludwell, Cassique

John Monke, Esq., Created 1682/83

Gov. James Moore, Landgrave

Gov. Joseph Moore, Landgrave

Hon. Joseph Morton, I, Landgrave, Created 1681

Hon. Joseph Morton, II, Landgrave

Joseph Pendarvis, Esq., xLandgravex (incorrectly attributed Landgrave)

Col. Andrew Percival, Landgrave?, Created c1677

Spencer Percival, Esq., Landgrave/Cassique?

Gov. John Price, Landgrave

Maj. Thomas Rowe, Cassique, Created 1682

Lady Staira Elizabeth Farquarson Johnston Rundell, Landgravine?, Inherited?

Henry Smith, Esq., Landgraved, Inherited

John Smith, Esq., Cassique, Created 1682, Boo-shoo-ee Barony

Col. Joseph Smith, Landgrave, Inherited, Wiskinboo Barony

Gov. Thomas Smith, Jr., Landgrave & Cassique

Hon. Thomas Smith, III, Landgrave

Gov. Seth Sothell, Landgrave (suspended)

Hon. Joseph West, Landgrave, Created 1684

Capt. Henry Wilkinson, Cassique, Created 1681

Edward Willimot, Esq., Landgrave (suspended?)

Lady Elizabeth Bellinger Wright, Landgravine?, Inherited?

John Wynch, Esq., Landgraved, Created p1701

Gov. (Sir?) John Yeamans, Landgrave, Created 1671

This poster, focusoninfinity, created an earlier simuliar list for additions and corrections, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiques .

*focusoninfinity descends Edward Hilton, Sr., Esq. (lawyer) of Exeter, N.H., the brother of Capt. William Hilton, Jr., for whom Hilton Head Island is named. The brothers are the sons of explorer Capt. William and Ellen Mainwaring Hilton. Edward Hilton, Sr., wed the widow Mrs. Catherine Shapleigh Treworgye, the sister of Capt. Nicholaus Shapleigh, early chartmaker of the Cape Fear River that in the 1660’s, Capt. Wm. Hilton, Jr., "purchased" and named. focusoninfinity also descends Capt. Edmund Bellinger, Sr., Landgrave, and wife Sarah Cartwright, by son Capt. William Bellinger, Sr., and wife Mary Cantey (daughter of William Cantey and wife Jane Baker, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Wilson Baker. Mrs. Mary Cantey Bellinger had Elizabeth Bellinger who wed the Hon. Henry Yionge, Sr., Loyalist, H.M. Surv-Gen of Georgia, who called his 2nd wife Christiana Bulloch ‘a rebel’; she being the daughter of Patriot Gov. Archie Bulloch of Ga. Mrs. Elizabeth Bellinger Yonge had my ancestor Capt. Philip Yonge, Loyalist, H.M. Surv-Gen of Ga., who wed Christian Mackenzie, the daughter of Capt. William Mackenzie, in 1775, H.M. Comptroller and Collector of Customs, Sunbury, Ga. His brother George, Third Earl Cromartie, of Cromarty, Scotland; his daughter wed Arthur Middlington, Signer. Philip’s brother was Maj. Henry Yonge, Jr., H.M. Atty-Gen of British East Florida.

The United Umpire Loyalist charter of Canada, said it was for Loyalist descendants who "reached British Controlled territory". The Yonges reached both British East Florida, and the father went on to die in England. But the UDC rejected those ancestors as not reaching "British controlled territory". Henry Jr., as H.M. Atty-Gen, freed the enslaved New Smyrna Beach Minorcans and commanded a Loyalist company of them at St. Augustine, Fla., rebuilt a fort, and commanded a Loyalist regiment—but never made it to Canada. Not good enough Loyalist, they; in some Canadian eyes?

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Joined  31-10-2006

20 November 2006 13:05

Based on the above, it seems to me that the Landgrave title could not be inherited by a female after 1701, but likely could be inherited by a female prior to 1701?Post 1701 a Landgravine could only will jt to a male, or sell it to a male, or sell or will the lands only, sans title, to a female. Prior to 1701 I’ve never heard of a female originally "created" a Landgtave or Cassique. At a British museum or library website, I once saw the original documents kept there that detailed the complication creation ceremony, garments, etc., and Latin motto. However I know of not Landgrave or Cassique who actually went through such silly drama that I love.

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Joined  31-10-2006

21 December 2006 03:34

Attn. Member Ben Fostner; thought you might find this of interest? I do not know the name nor location in South Carolina, of Mr. Ffoster’s Barony? Jim Miller