Need some direction

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

27 November 2006 01:24

I’m new to this forum and heraldry in general. I think I have devised a technically correct Coat of Arms. I was hoping I could get some thoughts on the design. Thanks in advance.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/DominguezCoA.jpg

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

27 November 2006 01:35

loaba what is the inspiration behind the arms?

is it just that you like the design or is there some other meaning behind the charges?

i guess what i’m asking is ... is there a personal touch to the arms or is it merely an attractive design?

if it is the former that is one thing and can be good heraldry ... but as an artist i can assure you that if it is the later you will eventually grow tired of the design and want to scrap it and move on to something else (like after your ‘fridge test’) ... and if that is the case it is bad heraldry ...  no matter how attractive a design might be ...

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

27 November 2006 01:40

Well, it’s a little of both. The color scheme is based off of one of the coat of arms for my family name, Dominguez (though I have no way of knowing if said arms apply to my branch of the family). About the only piece that has any real meaning to me is the six crosses (one for each immediate family member).

If I were more comfortable with the terminology I would say more.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/dominguez.jpg

^This is what I am using as my initial guide and to be honest I don’t really like those colors… I believe there is another Dominguez coat that has a green field and two chained towers that I like much better, can’t find a picture though.

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

27 November 2006 02:17

What about this for a thought and keep the 2 colours separate

http://www.heraldry-scotland.co.uk/forumpics/Dominguez.jpg

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

27 November 2006 02:31

loaba wrote:

Well, it’s a little of both. The color scheme is based off of one of the coat of arms for my family name, Dominguez (though I have no way of knowing if said arms apply to my branch of the family). About the only piece that has any real meaning to me is the six crosses (one for each immediate family member).

If I were more comfortable with the terminology I would say more.

\

First of all Let me say I am a novice like you. I joined the society in August and before that I knew about as much as you currently do in heraldry. In saying that, if it’s something you are truly interested in I suggest becoming a member. it’s only $20 and the amount of knowledge I have gained from these guys has been tremendous (especially in the member’s only section). This is not including the help that was rendered in the design of my arms and my wifes, which I am very grateful.

Where did you find the Dominguez family name Arms? I would guess, based on your comments, that unless you or a family member has a record of arms for you then more than likely those arms have no more significance to you than my arms, or anyone elses arms, so to base your color design on those might not be the best idea, especially if other colors might have more significant meaning to you

Also you may want to change the bend-sinister (gold sash thing going from bottom left to top right) to a nromal bend (like the one in my Arms). Even though it by no means is standard, a sinister bend has been used to mark illegitimacy.

With a name like Dominguez I am assuming some sort of Spanish ancestory, whether it be through Latin american heritage or not I don’t know. Here is an excellent thread discussing and showing Spanish heraldry

Two things that struck me about the spanish style is a) the use of Gold, Red and blue, in that order. There seems to be a fair amount of it used there.

b) is the amount of charges (i.e. Pictures) on the arms. They are very busy (not in a bad way) compared to say a Scandanavian contries.

I hope this helps some

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

27 November 2006 02:38

Here’s a couple ideas i had, if you wanted to use those colors, if not. Well maybe this can get you started

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/6fd286dc65.png          .  . . . . . . . .  . http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/c4f8bd3e57.png

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 November 2006 02:45

Loaba, John has a better design than the original one you posted. Use the bendlet and not a bendlet sinister - just personal opinion. Also follow his advice and avoid the "Dominguez" arms you posted. That said I love the idea of six crosses for the reason you posted as it has a personal touch and is best liked/loved over the long haul with personal touches like that.

Several things to consider.

1, basing your arms off of the Dominguez arms you found is OK as long as you difference them, which you did. It might be better, however, given your own statement that you do not like the colors to change them to ones you like; this way you are more prone to like them years down the line when you’ve had them a while.

2, if you are using the arms for you and your immediate family members, might I enquire as to what relation? If it is for your dad/granddad etc you may want to include them in the designing of the arms and inherit them as a son etc. If it is your siblings the same applies. If it is your children then you are in the position of your father/granddad I mentioned above.

3, as you have a Hispanic last name, you might want to consider looking into employing a number of Iberian Heraldic practices. Namely, consider using a border with six crosses on it if the people mentioned above do not like the design with the bendlet in which case the field could be charged with something else all together. Even if they do like it and you keep it you could certainly still employ the border as a nod to your Hispanic heritage. Of course you don’t have to do that.

4, i strongly recommend looking over the member’s arms page. Look at the Hispanic member’s arms and see some of the ideas I’ve been talking about. You will find excellent examples of arms with (Steve’s) and without (Mark’s/Montferrato [sp?]/etc) the border. In fact look to Louis’ arms as well, as while he is of Philippine heritage there is a Spanish connection there. Looking over these arms will help you with some ideas of creative, original Iberian heraldry for Americans and non-Americans.

5, if sticking with the bendlet with six crosses on it (again a nice touch) I would recommend using a full bend (broader and not so skinny) instead of a bendlet.

6, On the crosses, unless you are dead set on using these beautiful saltires (X-shaped crosses) try experimenting with different styles of crosses. You may find a different design appeals more to you.

7, no matter what direction you go in try to avoid the desire to cram too much stuff onto the shield. Doing so makes it look very cluttered and you can do much better as you are starting out designing your family’s arms and are therefore not bound to inherit something that might otherwise be an overcharged monster of sorts.

8, finaly seriously consider joining this society. You will find most everyone knowledgeable, willing to help out, and kind. Certainly - and I don’t mean to sound like a jerk which happens all too often on MBs regardless of one’s true intent - you may well find more people here willing to help you if you are willing to become a member. The fee is very affordable (even for the likes of a student-artist like myself) at $20 I believe… certainly thereabouts. And also try to use your first name (don’t have to change your moniker just have it somewhere) many here see it as a matter of courtesy to everyone else ... it is just what everyone around here likes to see ... this way they know they are talking to a real person ... kind of like real people who are friends who happen to congregate around the "e-cooler" instead of the officer copy machine ... know what I mean?

p.s. Also use a rounded bottom shape shield and not the pointed heater, as that is almost universal in Iberian arms.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 November 2006 03:20

Here’re some member’s arms of Iberian heraldic origin; some are Brazilian, Spanish, or Hispanic-American, etc.

Steven Michael Besinaiz

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/MemberArmPages/membersarms.php?page=Besinaiz

Mark Olivo

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/MemberArmPages/membersarms.php?page=Olivo

Jorge Luis Rivera III

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/MemberArmPages/membersarms.php?page=Rivera

Aurelio E. Valarezo-Duenas

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/MemberArmPages/membersarms.php?page=Valarezo-Duenas

Here’s a link to some basic Hispanic Arms for families of Spain. Here you’ll see many, many, rounded bottom shields and most with borders. You’ll also see lots of quarterings. You’ll notice that several Dominguez arms are listed.

http://usuarios.lycos.es/Virgosoft/escudos/d/Escudosd0005.html

and

http://usuarios.lycos.es/Virgosoft/escudos/d/Escudosd0006.html

and here’s the site’s main URL

http://usuarios.lycos.es/Virgosoft/escudos.htm

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

27 November 2006 07:44

Donnchadh wrote:

Loaba, John has a better design than the original one you posted. Use the bendlet and not a bendlet sinister

Perhaps it is worth pointing out that frequently (although not universally) the bendlet sinister has been employed as a mark of bastardy. Using it could imply more about yourself than you wish to! smile

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

27 November 2006 08:22

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/DominguezCoA2.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I’ll join tonight when I have more time.

Basically there are two design components that are driving me; I want classic Spanish colors and 6 small crosses. Every Dominguez crest I have seen uses Or, or Gold, so I’m not going away from that. Thanks for the heads-up on the Bend Sinister (I knew it meant something).

What I have here is very basic, but I like it. Obviously it needs some work.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

27 November 2006 10:25

loaba wrote:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/DominguezCoA2.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I’ll join tonight when I have more time.

Basically there are two design components that are driving me; I want classic Spanish colors and 6 small crosses. Every Dominguez crest I have seen uses Or, or Gold, so I’m not going away from that. Thanks for the heads-up on the Bend Sinister (I knew it meant something).

What I have here is very basic, but I like it. Obviously it needs some work.

Don’t forget, the world is your oyster now. It sounds like you have an idea of what you want, but you are basically free to design your own arms (if you are living in the US, which is an assumption here).

And everyone here was super helpful when I designed mine, and I am sure they will (and already hav been) for you

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 November 2006 11:59

Loaba, I like the bend better than the bendlet. Good choice. The redesign is much better over all Loaba.

As tot he colors, feel free to choose what you want. Use Or if you want Or. As Colin said, the world is your oyster now. Find the colors you like best and use the layout you like best.

Did you check on the other Iberian arms that are available to view in the hyperlinks I provided - especially the last three? Look there and you’ll see some Dominguez arms that do not use Or. I’m not saying look there in order to get you away from Or, rather it’s just for your education on different Iberian arms including multiple Dominguez arms and entertainment in seeing so many Iberian arms. The style(s) that appear are really quite cool. Along with Nordic arms Iberian arms are my favorite.

Good man in joining up tonight.

Good Father, I didn’t even think of that… I just knew I preferred the bend. smile

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

27 November 2006 13:19

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/DominguezCoA3.jpg

I’m starting to get an idea of what I prefer, but I’m still not 100% satisfied. I’ve thought about red, white and blue, but that doesn’t appeal.

Is orange and acceptable color?

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

27 November 2006 13:40

i don’t see a problem with it, and you can see an excellent use of orange in collin’s arms (linusborder).  i did reference my little hand book of heraldry (brockhampton reference) and orange is mentioned, along with the hatching of it (hatching is the etching or monochrome representation of colors, or tinctures as they’re properly referred to).

The Eagle is also an excellent charge for Iberian Arms, as you can see in my own Arms.  I chose the Eagle to represent my my respect and admiration for my Father and his lineage (both Spanish and German).

What it really comes down to is what you personally find attractive, and what speaks to you.  I would encourage you, as others have, to join the society and increase your own understanding of heraldry!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 November 2006 16:46

Quote:

I’m starting to get an idea of what I prefer, but I’m still not 100% satisfied. I’ve thought about red, white and blue, but that doesn’t appeal.

And this is the reason for the “Fridge Test” after you think you have your design. Basically draw it up and paint it and then place it on the fridge, or wherever, and look over it for a month or so. You will then learn if you like it or not and can go from there.

Quote:

Is orange and acceptable color?

A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y-! OK, OK so I love orange. But it is an acceptable color and one IMHO which is underutilized. Be careful, however, when placing it with the metal Or. As an interior design student and artist, I can tell you that placing orange next to Gold/Yellow is not a great contrasting combination. It will work well if you are looking for a more elegant/formal feel in an interior, but not in heraldry. So, if you’re going to use the color Orange you really need to consider using White/Silver as the metal like Colin’s.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

27 November 2006 16:47

I like the addition of the eagle displayed Or.

—Guy