I have many questions

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

27 November 2006 20:00

The honor, from what I took it as, is being recognized as a Gentleman.  In all my letters back and forth with Robert, I was always addressed as Esquire.  In English heraldry, and Esquire is someone qualified (a gentleman) to bear arms, but has no arms of his own.  Some of the original questions that were asked were of Educational and Professional background.  Once it was determined that the College couldn’t help me personally, because I lacked English heritage, I didn’t pursue things any further other than to keep in touch with Robert.

Charles E. Drake

Charles E. Drake
Total Posts:  553
Joined  27-05-2006

28 November 2006 16:09

Quote:

I think all one’s needs to ask, to settle the question, is what they are honoring, i.e., what special qualities or achievements must one possess. If it is only the ability to write a check, then it is not an honor, in the usual sense of the word,

I think that is actually the point. That an "honour" from the crown does not necessarily mean it is a reward for honorable behaviour or noble status.

Please understand that I don’t have any objection to the egalitarian view of arms in the American context, and I’m not arguing that arms here should be viewed in the British sense.  I am just posting regarding what I think an "honour" means.

An honour is an act of grace by the Sovereign irrespective of the qualities of the recipient. It is not the same as an award of merit.  One could be the most undeserving rascal around, and if one happened to be given a peerage, then one would have received an honour.

Regards,

/Charles