Need some direction

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

27 November 2006 17:09

Donnchadh wrote:

A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y-! OK, OK so I love orange. But it is an acceptable color and one IMHO which is underutilized. Be careful, however, when placing it with the metal Or. As an interior design student and artist, I can tell you that placing orange next to Gold/Yellow is not a great contrasting combination. It will work well if you are looking for a more elegant/formal feel in an interior, but not in heraldry. So, if you’re going to use the color Orange you really need to consider using White/Silver as the metal like Colin’s.

You need to be careful using it with the color red (and sanguine) too, at least from what I have gathered while working in my own arms.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

27 November 2006 17:13

The eagle is certainly atrtractive, but to my eye suggests Germanic rather than Hispanic origins.  But to each his own…

As a suggestion, it might be interesting to research the etymology (linguistic origins) of the name.  I assume, but don’t know, that Dominguez originated as "son/descendant of Domingo" if that’s a Spanish forename, or "son/descendant of Dominic."  I Don’t know (haven’t researched) the etymology of Dominic, but I believe there was a saint of that name & there may (or may not) be an emblem or symbol associated with that saint which might (or might not) make a suitable charge.  Or since Domingo is Sunday, perhaps a gold sun on the red protion ("sinister cheif"), or two gold suns, one either side of the bend.

These are of course only suggestions, since the final design is apparently still in flux.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

27 November 2006 17:38

Colin,

Correct. But one look at the ‘color wheel’ will show you that you really need to be careful using Red and Orange together, which is why one shouldn’t use color on color without a metal and when you do use color on color with a metal, like yours, you need to use a contrasting second color. So, yes, Red and Orange are cousins on the color wheel and can’t be used together.

I should’ve been clearer about that. I tried to be, as Orange is great when used with White/Silver and not Yellow/Gold and certainly not next to Red. But, next to darker colors (Blue, Green and Purple) it is OK as long as there is a metal breaking them up ... like yours.

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

28 November 2006 13:16

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/DominguezCoA4.jpg

I think I’m finally getting somewhere on this!

The vert field is simply because green is my color, the argent star is taken directly from another Dominguez coat (though the original angle and color are changed), and of course the six crosses (now pointed to better match the star stylistically) represent my immediate family. The color scheme isn’t quite Spanish, but I like it.

Thoughts?

Again, guys, thanks for all the input.

Edit: I just thought of this, an eagle holding the star would be a great combination…

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

28 November 2006 13:28

I like it, not only for the design but because you’ve customized it to your liking.  Arms should be representative of the one who bears them, with the idea the future generations will bear them as well.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

28 November 2006 16:40

I agree with you, and think an eagle holding a star would be very nice. I like the color combination too.

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

28 November 2006 20:45

Certainly this design is stronger and more balanced than the original one. Is there any reason behind the irregular mullet? If not you should try a regular mullet as a charge. I agree with Andrew about personalization of your design. May be some charge in the dexter will balance the shield but that is just a matter of preference. I’d avoid bordures since the use of them (in Spanish heraldry) represent family (blood) alliances with other houses. I won’t be worried about the color scheme to be more or less “Spanish” since there’re others traditions that represent better the Spanish customs (i.e. no crest or badge but the 3, 5 or 7 plume’s fan)

Just to clarify Valarezo (my father’s family name) is the Italian ancestry and Duenas is Spanish. My personal arms are those of Valarezo in the fashion my ancestors used for centuries in South America (They settled there in the late XVI century) so my COA was somehow changed to the Iberian fashion.

Best regards

Aurelio

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

28 November 2006 20:46

Can a sable charge disregard the color on color rule?

AVD1

AVD1
Joined  31-08-2006

28 November 2006 20:50

Are you talking about the possible eagle hollding a star?

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

28 November 2006 20:50

AVD wrote:

I’d avoid bordures since the use of them (in Spanish heraldry) represent family (blood) alliances with other houses.

Hmm, then I would need to change the bend sable?

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

28 November 2006 20:51

AVD wrote:

Are you talking about the possible eagle hollding a star?

Si, I think it would look very good as sable with or trim. By the way, stars are always refered to as mullets?

AVD1

AVD1
Joined  31-08-2006

28 November 2006 21:01

1. I was talking about bordures arround the entire shield instead of a bordure arround a charge (Bendlet). So your Bendlet is ok. Perhaps somebody with a better knowledge of the English language could give you advice about blazoning your design

2. Several author’s talk about the special condition of sabre as some kind of hybrid between color and metal, so you can use it over both of them.

My advice… Try designing the eagle on metal and sabre and see how each one works.

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

28 November 2006 21:10

Not to worry, your english is just fine. Thanks for clearing up the bendlet. I’m thinking that the Eagle should sitting atop the mullet.

AVD1

AVD1
Joined  31-08-2006

28 November 2006 21:20

Properly done it would be nice. I’ll try to find something similar and post it. Give me some hours:)

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

28 November 2006 21:44

loaba wrote:

Can a sable charge disregard the color on color rule?

I would avoid it if at all possible. The whole thing about color on color is that it is hard to see from a distance. There are rare exceptions, but I would avoid it. With your design both a gold or White eagle would be ok.