Need some direction

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

29 November 2006 16:21

I like this one:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/ArmsIIILR.jpg

The same design with six crosses is also nice.  Both renditions are much nicer (in my biased opinion) than having a charge in sinister chief.

—Guy

["...lunch break’s over, back on your heads!"]

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

29 November 2006 19:17

I think I’m sticking with the 6-cross version, sable bend. I just think that’s best.

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

29 November 2006 21:26

1. I really think the bend (instead of the bendlet) is much better. In spanish a bendlet (cotiza) is a "pieza disminuida" and a bend (banda) is a "pieza principal". It would be better to use a bendlet only if you want to give it a special symbolism.

2. The spanish tradition does not follow the english (or any) cadency system (except for the royal family and few high nobility families). The first son will display his father arms. Other male children will change somehow their arms (frequently using a bordure). Female children will use their father’s arms until married, then they will impale their arms with those of their husband. Quartering is another way to differentiate armorials (very common after the XVII century)

3. You don’t have to add any charge to balance your COA but it could be an interesting experiment (Aesthetic point of view). Less is better?... Absolutely. The latest versions (either 6 or 3 crosses) are really nice.

4. The number of crosses as charges in the sheild as a symbolism of the number of members of your inmediate family is perfect and very frequent in spanish heraldry(i.e. the seven snake’s heads in the Lara’s COA represent the 7 brothers beheaded by the moors)

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

30 November 2006 01:11

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/CoAIII.jpg

And still I tinker…

I’ll need to see both of these for a couple of days before I can really decide. The addition of the heart makes things busy, but maybe in a good way. Still, lots of borders, dunno how I feel about that.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

30 November 2006 01:24

if you do add another charge do not move the bend down. leave it as is and make the additional charge smaller.

also, FWIW, i do not like the heart much, as the color addition of Gules is too much. maybe of you made it an Or heart…

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

30 November 2006 01:52

Donnchadh wrote:

if you do add another charge do not move the bend down. leave it as is and make the additional charge smaller.

also, FWIW, i do not like the heart much, as the color addition of Gules is too much. maybe of you made it an Or heart…

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/CoAIV.jpg

Yup, much better than the Gules and no additional border either.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

30 November 2006 06:23

My humble opinion, loose the heart and stay with the original design.  i think the bend, crosses and tinctures match up very well.  the addition of the heart "clutters" the design so to speak.  but again, it’s only my opinion;)

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

30 November 2006 08:04

Andrew J Vidal wrote:

My humble opinion, loose the heart and stay with the original design.  i think the bend, crosses and tinctures match up very well.  the addition of the heart "clutters" the design so to speak.  but again, it’s only my opinion;)

I’m just grateful you’ve made suggestions and provided critique.

I like the 6-cross version for it’s simplicity and it’s sublte line to Spanish arms. The thing I dislike is that there is no obviouse piece that speaks directly for me.

The Or heart with it’s Sable cross maintains the scheme but gives me a voice, so to speak.

I dunno. The fridge test, side-by-side, has begun!

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

30 November 2006 11:40

Just curious (and maybe I missed it) but what’s the heart supposed to represent?

I like the arms sans Heart, but if the heart has some very significant meaning it might be worth keeping in there.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

30 November 2006 11:41

the one without the heart is my favorite as well. but, they will not be mine and i won’t have to live with them. i will say the way you can make them "yours" if you stick with the one w/o the heart is to use a crest that suits you.

i did that myself after i designed my arms for my dad and uncle in honor of their great-grandfather. in truth i would’ve chosen Sanguine (dark red) and Argent for my colors and would have made it more "Irish" in the division of the field. but, it was more important for me to have my dad and uncle have them made up as they desired in honor of my great-great grandfather. however, changing the crest for every person is a great way to keep it personal and "differenced" without muddying the waters of the field itself.

good idea doing the fridge test for both. however, i would not put them side by side on the fridge. rather, place one on the fridge and the other at another place you frequent. this way you see each alone and can decide which one you like best over time.

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

30 November 2006 14:22

Since Dominguez comes from Saint Dominique, you may wish to get some inspiration from the CoA of the Dominican order, esp. the cross.

http://www.bfriars.ox.ac.uk/images_gen/logo_shield1.gif

Nicolas

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

30 November 2006 17:10

Back to blazon—wouldn’t it just be Vert on a bend Sable fimbrated Or six (whatevers) Argent?

As most of the others, I much prefer the simpler design.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

30 November 2006 18:12

Michael F. McCartney wrote:

Back to blazon—wouldn’t it just be Vert on a bend Sable fimbrated Or six (whatevers) Argent?

As most of the others, I much prefer the simpler design.

I’d say go even simpler… loose the hart with only five crosses… but I may have missed the significance of the six further up…. looks great though.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

30 November 2006 19:10

Loaba I REALLY like Nicolas’ idea of using the Dominican Cross for the crosses; it is a wonderful way to bring the arms full circle with the name itself IMHO. You just might have to adjust your color(s) to accomodate it all if you go with it… unless you go with a Cross fleury (like the Dominican Cross) and keep the colors the same as you already have them.

Everett, the six represent his family members.

P.S. Have you applied for membership yet Loaba?

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

30 November 2006 19:55

Hmm, been playing around with the bendlet and I think I would like it better as Azure. However, Azure and Vert are practically next door neighbors on the color wheel.

I like the Sable, it’s just the current arraingment is so military. I can just see the "Army of One" in my mind’s eye everytime.

Are Azure and Green to close in hue to be effective from a distance?

About the Dominican Cross - I like the idea, but I think it might be too difficult to realize in my current arraingment.