Star Wars…

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

07 December 2006 22:05

So I play a Game called "Star Wars Galaxies". For those of you who don’t know what this game is, it’s an MMORPG, which stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. In this game you become a member of the star wars universe, and you can join a player made city and join a player-made guild. I Am in a guild, and have been for a long time, and with my recent interest in heraldry I have decided to create a coat of arms for the city. Here are 5-6 arms i have designed to let my guild vote on. (eventually i am going to go the whole 9 yards with supporters and everything)

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/0e75f366af.png http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/4eae2f1922.png http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/8a4a674aa4.png

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

07 December 2006 22:07
Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

07 December 2006 22:10

And for anyone who wants to know what the charges mean… The star on canton gules is symbolic of Corellia, the planet the city is on, and an honor bestowed y the governemnt there, the funny looking instrument is called a Nalargon, and is representative of the highly social and entertainment driven town we have. It is also an instrument in the movie played by Max Rebo (i.e. the big blue elephant looking thing in Jabba’s palace in the original movies) the animal is a Sharoff and is indigenous to corellia, and the wavy trident is symbolic of the 3 rivers we are at the base of.

Personally my two favorites are the 4th and 5th shields (left and middle of the second post)

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

09 December 2006 07:37

Nice work, I especially like no 3 of the first three arms.

BTW Corellia is that not the Home world of Han Solo?

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

09 December 2006 12:26

Maybe make the Sharoff less realistic, and more stylized.

I am such a dork for fantasy heraldry…Tolkien did some nice work for the Elves, and Frank Herbert developed heraldry of the great houses in Dune.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

09 December 2006 19:01

Linusboarder wrote:

...the funny looking instrument is called a Nalargon, and is representative of the highly social and entertainment driven town we have. It is also an instrument in the movie played by Max Rebo (i.e. the big blue elephant looking thing in Jabba’s palace in the original movies)

Thanks- now I’m going to have "Lapti Nek" running through my head all day.

The charges need to be much more stylized, or replaced entirely.  They’re not very recognizable.

If you were to ask the citizens of this city what makes them unique in the system, would they say that they have a great music scene and a couple of rivers?  Or would they come up with something in their proud history to represent themselves?  Does the name of the town mean anything?

Ben Foster wrote:

I am such a dork for fantasy heraldry…Tolkien did some nice work for the Elves,

"The silver stars of heaven’s field/Were mirrored in his silver shield…"

Or how about "One shield for the Dork Lord on his Dork throne…"?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

10 December 2006 01:39

Madalch wrote:

Thanks- now I’m going to have "Lapti Nek" running through my head all day.

The charges need to be much more stylized, or replaced entirely.  They’re not very recognizable.

If you were to ask the citizens of this city what makes them unique in the system, would they say that they have a great music scene and a couple of rivers?  Or would they come up with something in their proud history to represent themselves?  Does the name of the town mean anything?

The thing people would be most proud of is the social scene in the city, which revolves around the canitinas.. and we easily have more than any other city on the server. Also the Nalargon is fairly recognizeable in the game itself, if not to to non-SWG-gamers.

The name of the town does mean something, it means "Hope" basically, i’ll have to ask again, i used to know