Fishburne Millitary School, Waynesboro, Va.

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Total Posts:  55
Joined  31-10-2006

03 December 2006 01:30

I was a cadet there in the late 1950’s from Winston-Salem, N.C.

Our brass hat device was a shield with a knight, sword in hand, breaking through, out of the background; with the name of the school within the upper part of the shield. Atop the shield is a face forward to viewer’s right (war or peace? Neither olive branch nor arrows in claws), eagle with streamer across it’s chest displaying the motto: "Scientia est Potestas" (Knowkedge is Power?).

I would welcomesomeone correctly restateing this in techical terms?

Jim/focasoninfinity

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

03 December 2006 08:29

I’m not exactly sure what you’re describing, would it be possible to maybe find a picture?

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

03 December 2006 09:19

Paly of 13 pieces Gules and Or, as if tearing through the field a roman soldier affronte ambulent holding a pilem in his sinister hand and a sword to base in his dexter hand, on a chief Or the word "FISHBURNE" over the words "MILITARY SCHOOL" Gules.

On a wreath Or and Gules a bald eagle displayed wings inverted head to sinister Or, surmounting its breast and wings a ribbon Gules charged with the words "SCIENTIA EST POTESTAS" Or.

I am not sure what the tinctures are supposed to be.

[ATTACH]115[/ATTACH]

http://www.fishburne.org/Pics/Store/29-June-06/MVC-009L.JPG

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Joined  31-10-2006

11 December 2006 18:31

I’ve seen those red cloth backed FMS shield, but I can not recall were such were worn, Thanks.

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Joined  31-10-2006

12 December 2006 09:59

Will attempt to attach image of FMS Shako Large Brass Shield scan? Oops: says I may NOT post attachments. How do I get permission to do so? And if permision so given; then how do I attach small scanned image? Jim/focusoninfinity

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

15 December 2006 16:37

Michael Swanson wrote:

Paly of 13 pieces Gules and Or, as if tearing through the field a roman soldier affronte ambulent holding a pilem in his sinister hand and a sword to base in his dexter hand, on a chief Or the word "FISHBURNE" over the words "MILITARY SCHOOL" Gules.

On a wreath Or and Gules a bald eagle displayed wings inverted head to sinister Or, surmounting its breast and wings a ribbon Gules charged with the words "SCIENTIA EST POTESTAS" Or.

I am not sure what the tinctures are supposed to be.

[ATTACH]115[/ATTACH]

http://www.fishburne.org/Pics/Store/29-June-06/MVC-009L.JPG

Truly unique in terms of its conception and treatment of the field.  Quite interesting.